Utili-bots seem very underwhelming

by Draumkvad

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Utili-bots seem very underwhelming

★★★ Apprentice

Is it just me, or are Utili-bots made with the robotics skill more hassle than help? I've made two Cleaner-bots and they both just died and turned into scrap. The first one disappeared a while after I turned it on, but I found some rubble on the lawn that I assume was the remnants of the bot. I thought it was struck by lightning.

Then I made a second one. This time I thought I'd try to not lose it to lightning. I turned it on and watched it for a while. It seemed like when it there was nothing left to clean, it always went out onto the lawn to scan grass aimlessly. So I turned it off and moved it into the hallway. After this I only turned it on when there were things to clean, and when it moved onto the lawn I turned it off again and placed it in the hall.

Today I found a pile of rubble in the hall, and I assume it again is the remnants of the bot, but this time I don't know what could've destroyed it since it had just been standing there being inactive.

Am I missing something about the bots, or do you need to constantly babysit them, or they'll just turn into rubble? 

Message 1 of 9 (9,199 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Utili-bots seem very underwhelming

Champion (Retired)

@Draumkvad 

The Utili-bots can be repaired and they can be upgraded so they last longer between repairs.

By hovering over them you can see how much in disrepair they are And you are right that they should be turned off when there is nothing for them to do so they last longer between repairs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (9,175 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

@Draumkvad 

The Utili-bots can be repaired and they can be upgraded so they last longer between repairs.

By hovering over them you can see how much in disrepair they are And you are right that they should be turned off when there is nothing for them to do so they last longer between repairs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 9 (9,176 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@jpkarlsen Ok, thanks for the reply. So I guess it then is expected for the bots to self-destruct (turn into rubble) when they aren't repaired often enough?

I'll just hire a maid. Can't be bothered with keeping an eye on that thing so it doesn't self-destruct.
Message 3 of 9 (9,171 Views)

Champion

@Draumkvad, yes, this is by design.  In real life if you left things, including electronics and machines will break down.  Rust, dust, and even animals chewing on wires will cause things to break down.  This is all part of Entropy! Nerd  

In your game, you can look at it as a hobby for your Sims.  If they are busy repairing robots, they won't be getting hundreds of glasses of water to drink! Large smileWink

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 9 (9,134 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@PugLove888 Fair enough Standard smile But I think there's a difference between breaking down and turning into rubble that I can only "collect".

In real life I've never found my vacuum cleaner turned into a pile of rubble Wink
Message 5 of 9 (9,119 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Draumkvad, Well, that is true!  My vacuums don't do that either, at least not yet! Large smile  I guess the developers took the breakdown a step further to give players a sense of urgency in repairing robotics.  Otherwise we probably wouldn't direct our Sims to maintain them very often, if at all..  OopsStandard smile

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 6 of 9 (9,117 Views)

★ Novice

But.... they still do not do anything other than hover.  I placed my  cleaner bot over a  tub that needed  cleaning....  it just hovered there til it  went  down to  40% power or whatever.  it  was a total waste of time and Money.  

Message 7 of 9 (8,631 Views)

★★ Apprentice

My cleaner-bot is absolutely useless. A toddler made a mess on the balcony. The cleaner bot scans the whole balcony, including the mess, for hours, totally ignoring the mess, while its battery is slowly going down. What's even the point of these things?

Message 8 of 9 (8,211 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I would also like to know if the Utili-bots have a function other than taking my simoleons as it has yet to clean a single thing.

Message 9 of 9 (6,198 Views)