Umbrellas

by SianAF148

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Umbrellas

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

I have never before had a problem with umbrellas. When I click on a sim, there is always the option to "Open Umbrella" and this has come in quite handy with my Vampire sims who still like to go outside during the day.

Recently though, the option has disappeared? And I was searching about it everyone is saying you NEED an umbrella rack to take one and have one in your inventory, so that you can use one. But I've... never EVER had to do that? And these articles are dated 2018...

Why am I all of a sudden unable to use one in the way I used to? It just seems extremely random that I've been able to freely use an umbrella (without having an actual one in the inventory) ever since I first bought Seasons (which was at least a year ago), and now all of a sudden I have to buy the umbrella rack and take one to get the option. I mean, of course it makes more sense logically but why has it all of a sudden changed for me?

I just bought Island Living, Parenthood, and Toddler Stuff today, but I'm pretty sure I noticed this problem yesterday, before buying these.

Message 1 of 6 (263 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Umbrellas

Champion

@SianAF148 Hi!  Personally, I hate my sims having that darn umbrella.  I play mostly with spellcasters and they won't transportalate if they're holding something.  That is a great idea to have them for vampires though.  I agree with @Coley666 that I've only seen unplayed sims already have the umbrella without telling them to get one from the rack.  Every time I've added an unplayed sim to my household, I have to tell them to put that darn umbrella away.  So, I guess my problem is sort of the opposite of yours. lol  I started adding the rack to other lots like bars and gyms.  Whenever my sims travel to a new lot and one of them pops open an umbrella, I immediately go into build mode and add the umbri rack.  Maybe you could try adding the rack to other lots in your game, just in case of a vampire emergency?

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

View in thread

Message 6 of 6 (185 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Guide

Not sure on your problem but I've always had to buy the umbrella rack and then choose an umbrella for my sim from it. Eventually it gets destroyed and I have to do it again. Were you playing sims that had previously autoplayed while you were in another household? Umbrellas happen automatically for them so the previous process may have happened without your intervention.

Message 2 of 6 (233 Views)

★★ Guide

My sims have just always had the option to take out an umbrella. I didn't even know the umbrella rack existed until yesterday. And I do switch between families so maybe? But the reason I was so flustered over it is because I have a lot of vampire sims, some which I don't have counted as played families (the Vatores) and I always seem to find a way to start a vampire gathering in broad daylight and they're always saved by being able to whip out an umbrella to shield themselves. But I was worried about having to manually go around to every vampire household and give them a umbrella rack just so that no one died, because I've previously never had to and I also don't enjoy micro managing multiple families that I'm not actively playing.

Message 3 of 6 (219 Views)

★★★★ Guide

In my experience any household I am not currently playing will automatically do the umbrella thing - I always make sure to furnish their houses with one but I don't think that it's required.

Message 4 of 6 (207 Views)

★★ Guide

Aah right okay. Hopefully my not-active family sims will continue to do this, as I'm more of an occult sim player than a human sim player, so in some of my saves, the majority of the neighbourhood are vampires, so I was just panicked about suddenly having all my sims die in the sun all of a sudden,

Message 5 of 6 (199 Views)

Champion

@SianAF148 Hi!  Personally, I hate my sims having that darn umbrella.  I play mostly with spellcasters and they won't transportalate if they're holding something.  That is a great idea to have them for vampires though.  I agree with @Coley666 that I've only seen unplayed sims already have the umbrella without telling them to get one from the rack.  Every time I've added an unplayed sim to my household, I have to tell them to put that darn umbrella away.  So, I guess my problem is sort of the opposite of yours. lol  I started adding the rack to other lots like bars and gyms.  Whenever my sims travel to a new lot and one of them pops open an umbrella, I immediately go into build mode and add the umbri rack.  Maybe you could try adding the rack to other lots in your game, just in case of a vampire emergency?

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 6 of 6 (186 Views)