Trait randomizer in sim creator...

by Avalonica

Original Post

Trait randomizer in sim creator...

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

(The Sims 4) How come that isn't a thing in the game after all these years? I want the game to RANDOMIZE the traits in the sim creator(preferably the option for toddlers, children and teens as they grow up). Don't tell me about external sites and applications. I'm asking why that is NOT an option in the game? I want to GAME to randomize something for me for the fun of it. 

Message 1 of 4 (980 Views)

Re: Trait randomizer in sim creator...

Champion

@Avalonica, When the Sims 4 was released, EA had said that they didn't want to put  randomizer on traits because they really wanted the players to carefully choose which traits they were giving their Sims and to really think about how the traits might combine. Wink

For myself, I end up tending to choose a lot of the same traits: for business Sims Ambitious and Self-Confident go well together, and for family Sims Family-Oriented and Foodie (or Culinary aspiration) go well.  Its just too tempting for me to keep picking these kinds of pairings over and over, with usually the 3rd trait giving some variety.  So I understand your frustration. Disappointed I think a randomizer would encourage me to pick different combos of traits.Standard smile  But not having a randomizer was EA's choice.  I think they thought we would look at all the traits more carefully, but for me the results aren't as diverse. Large smile

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 4 (964 Views)

★★★ Novice

That was back in 2014 or earlier depending on how long they've been developing the game. Things change. I'm not going to go into detail on what I think of the traits overall in sims 4 but they are pretty lackluster and way too few. To me it's far more important to play with random things, like traits because it reflects *reality* and real life. You don't chose who you are when you're born, you get what you get and you do the best with what you're given. That's why I've always been a firm believer in a randomizer dice on the trait/aspirations. I am so surprised there isn't a MOD for this so I can only assume it's impossible to do such a thing. I did notice a lot of requests for such a thing and people are using randomizer sites for traits which seems like a step in the wrong direction to me. 

Message 3 of 4 (949 Views)

Champion

@Avalonica , yes that was back in 2014, but I remember them being pretty firm in their opinion of this, so it isn't likely to change any time soon.  I think they were/are really proud of how the traits and moods intermingle and play off one another.  Moods were brand new and I'm sure they put a lot of work into them.  I know there are other people like us who would love a randomizer for traits, but I also know there are a lot of people who like this just the way it is.  Yes some things change, but other things don't.  This is probably one of those things, so I'm not holding my breath, but I can still dream! Raised eyebrowEmbarrassed

I get what you are saying about reality and real life and how some things are random in real life and how we didn't get to pick our own traits in real life.  This is true, but the idea behind the Sims is that we are kind of like the Sims' "god", and if in real life God picked our traits (out of possible ones that our parents provided and with maybe a few mutations thrown in), then God was in control and it wasn't really a random choice on God's end. Angel To us is seems random, but to God it isn't.  Therefore, if we are the god of our Sims, then we are in control.  Even if you don't personally believe in God or gods, you can still understand this concept and how it applies to the Sims.  Or you can look at it like the story of Pinocchio -- we are Gepetto  the maker of Pinocchio and we get to choose what our puppets will be like.  If you play with Free Will (high autonomy) on, then your Sims might make some choices on their own, but this is still based on both the general nature of the Sims and the traits you give them.  (Or you can be a total control freak and play with autonomy/ Free Will off!). Large smile

There might be a Mod that allows for this, but I wouldn't know since I never play with Mods or Custom Content (CC) anymore because I had a bad experience with them with TS3.  If you still want to play with Mods and CC then by all means look around if you haven't already! Standard smile  Just make sure your CC and Mods get updated when the game is patched/updated or they may not work and mess up your game!  Devil

If there aren't any Mods for randomizing traits, or if you don't want to play with Mods, then there is a solution:

Make a list of all the traits in your game on paper and assign each one to a number.  For this example let's say there are 23 ... Then with each new Sim you create, you can either draw a number out of a bag or find one die (I think "die" is the singular of "dice") that has 23 sides (or whatever is the amount of traits). Then let's say you pick or roll a 14 -- you would then select whichever trait is number 14 on your list! You can also do this with aspirations if you want.  Just use a die with fewer sides or put fewer numbers in the bag to draw from.  You also might be able to construct a spinner if you want, or find some other way to randomize your traits.  

While I don't do this normally, I did have to do this in TS2 for a legacy challenge I did! Cool

But no matter what you do, Happy Simming! Heart

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 4 (928 Views)