The sims 4 roommate issues

by PinkyCustomWorld

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The sims 4 roommate issues

★★ Novice

So in my household I play with one sim. I also have a ghost cat (who is not playable, but is part of household). My sim put out an ad for roomates. Then she made three separate bedrooms (each with their own single bed) and even separate bathrooms and "mini kitchens" to each room. Which should leave room for three roomates.

I accepted two roomates. Then I got the message my ad was taken down due to lack of beds. 

But I still have one room, with a bed no one uses.

I've tried shifting the bed assignments around (yes I can assign someone to all the beds) several times, but still I can't get one more in.. I've tried different single beds, even tried putting in different double beds in the left over bedroom. I've tried moving around everything in the bedroom. Didn't do anything. I even edited the Information about the house so it says the right numbers of bedrooms. Nothing works. I've tried talking with random sims to see if I get the option to ask to be roommate. But that option don't show up. I've tried several times using the computer to put up another ad, but it keeps saying I don't have enough beds.

I play without mods so it's a completely clean save. (I don't wish to play with mods either since I'm scared it will mess up my save file or game in general)..

Please tell me anyone know what to do?

I've Googled for hours but haven't found anything that helps and it's starting to make me crazy..

Message 1 of 4 (3,725 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: The sims 4 roommate issues

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@PinkyCustomWorld Pets count as regular household members when it comes to having enough beds to advertise for roommates. So with your Sim, the ghost cat, and two roommates that's four beds. A double bed will still only count as one bed and pet beds do not count at all for something like this. You'll need to add one more regular bed (at least temporarily) somewhere on your lot to get a third roommate. You should be able to delete one of the beds after the third roommate moves in.

What I usually do in a case like this is make a small non-access basement under my house and put a cheap bed in there. It will still count towards the required number of beds in my Sim's house to allow me to add roommates, even though it's in a place where no one can use it. That's just how I do it, you can put that extra bed anywhere on your lot & it will still count.

Btw- I'm curious to hear if your roommates use the kitchenettes you made for them or if they eat from your regular kitchen or even bring in food from other lots. Please let us know how that works out for you.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (3,698 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@PinkyCustomWorld Pets count as regular household members when it comes to having enough beds to advertise for roommates. So with your Sim, the ghost cat, and two roommates that's four beds. A double bed will still only count as one bed and pet beds do not count at all for something like this. You'll need to add one more regular bed (at least temporarily) somewhere on your lot to get a third roommate. You should be able to delete one of the beds after the third roommate moves in.

What I usually do in a case like this is make a small non-access basement under my house and put a cheap bed in there. It will still count towards the required number of beds in my Sim's house to allow me to add roommates, even though it's in a place where no one can use it. That's just how I do it, you can put that extra bed anywhere on your lot & it will still count.

Btw- I'm curious to hear if your roommates use the kitchenettes you made for them or if they eat from your regular kitchen or even bring in food from other lots. Please let us know how that works out for you.

Message 2 of 4 (3,699 Views)

★★ Novice

Oh wow, I didn't know my cat actually "needs" a bed. That's weird. 
I tried your solution now, just made a tiny useless basement and put a bed there. And it totally worked :D Thank you so much.

My roomates still seem to mainly use the main kitchen. But if the main kitchen is full (dished everywhere or sims everywhere) they actually choose to use their own kitchens Standard smile Haven't noticed anyone of them bringing food from other lots yet. But for some reason they all seem to be carrying food in their inventory (dragging plates of food out of their pockets) regulary xD 

Message 3 of 4 (3,663 Views)

★★★ Expert

@PinkyCustomWorld Yeah it's kinda weird but all household members, including pets and toddlers, will need a regular bed for counting purposes when trying to add a roommate. Even though a dog will never even use a bed and a cat will sleep wherever the heck it wants anyway! xD As far as I know, it's even worse with a toddler because you'll need a toddler bed plus a regular bed! (Someone might have to double-check me on that one).

That's pretty cool about those mini-kitchens, I've never tried that. I usually just have my Sim cook family-sized meals and let the roommates eat from my regular kitchen. It helps build up my Sims cooking skills faster. If you don't mind, maybe add another post every now & then to let us know how it's all working out with your roommates. I know there are other Simmers in this forum who love reading about stuff like this. This is a General Discussion forum so no one will mind, as long as it's game-related.

I won't add any spoilers here but don't be surprised if you run into some real dud roommates from time to time. If any of them seem like they are giving you too much trouble, just do a search for "Roommates" within this forum and you'll find a few threads with suggestions on what might help.

Good luck and have fun! :D

Message 4 of 4 (3,613 Views)