The placement ability of objects need to be SERIOUSLY improved

by ChristineXe

Original Post

The placement ability of objects need to be SERIOUSLY improved

★★★ Apprentice

Sometimes it makes me wonder if the developers have ever played their own game. Objects seem to be in conflict with everything and it’s extremely annoying. Try to place a floor plant and it’s in conflict with a tiny painting on the wall. Try to place a side table and it’s in conflict with the curtain. Try to place an outdoor plant and it’s in conflict with the window (seriously?) Try to place a tall floor object (like the yoga bamboo shoots) and it’s in conflict with the ceiling light. Try to place anything near a wall and it’s in conflict with things in an entirely different room. I could go on and on.

Then of course, 45 degree rotation of objects is next to useless because rotated objects can’t be placed near a wall.

The entire thing makes for extremely awkward looking homes, where everything looks very separated and fake. Clutter (like toys) can’t be placed close to each other...which defeats the literal point of clutter. Your sim is able to interact with very few things in their homes, so why do small objects need an entire half or full grid square? Is it space for animations that literally don’t exist?

Things like the piano that take up a 6x2 square: the back and sides should be able to be placed flush against a wall, so the piano can sit snugly in a room corner - but it cannot...why? The back and sides of the piano aren’t used in animations, so it makes no sense.

The outdoor plants also can’t be placed closely to each other, which again makes things look awkwardly separated and fake. There is only one exception - the cheap hedge plant with the pink flowers. The rest don’t have this ability. Again, I ask why?

Improvements that need to be made:

1. The grid squares needs to be subdivided by 2, so there are more mini-squares in each grid square, to place objects. Right now, one grid square has 4 mini squares. Subdividing by 2 would make it so one grid square has 16 mini squares.

2. Objects should be placed by their vertex point instead of by planes (sorry, 3d language). Basically, if you assign a single point on the bottom of items, we can then use the point to place objects on parts of the grid where the grid lines intersect, instead of using a “plane” (that green square that is underneath objects) to fit into the existing grid squares. This would allow for more delicate object placement.

3. Plants NEED to be able to be placed very close together, to make a seamless group. I mean honestly, have any of the FM team ever seen a garden? Things like the wedding rose lattice and the fences from past STS do this (but not the hedge, for some strange reason). Please expand it to plants. This would be solved by my second suggestion above.

4. Please review objects and take out the conflicts that make no sense. You should be able to put the piano in a corner. You should be able to put any item close to a wall/curtain. You should be able to put items underneath ceiling lights. And no item should ever be in conflict with an item in an entirely different room!

And honorable mention: Please let us move the mail box. 

I’m sorry if I sound exasperated, I just realized that 90% of the time I spend building is trying to find a workaround for object conflicts - many times forcing me to change my room layout/design and ideas as a result. It’s very frustrating.

Hopefully some improvement will be provided in the next update. Thank you if that happens. Standard smile

Message 1 of 8 (1,120 Views)

Re: The placement ability of objects need to be SERIOUSLY improved

★★★★★ Apprentice
@ChristineXe i definitely agree on ALL your mentions! #attentiontsm
Message 2 of 8 (1,006 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@ChristineXe I am a totally new player, but the plant thing really annoys me, because yes - there are those bushes that it can be done with - so why not the rest also? I love doing gardens but it really messes it all up! And yes - the mailbox as well! Definitely should be able to be moved!
Message 3 of 8 (969 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@ChristineXeI agree with all your suggestions, especially about being able to put things closer together and not have so many conflicts with art, curtains, speakers and lights.
I would also love to be able to put things on pianos, like the metronome for instance, or a candelabra just to mention a couple. Also, it would be great to be able to put some towels or an ice filled bucket of champagne on the hot tub. I’d like to be able to put flat screen TV’s on top of fireplaces, too. 
But the garden problem definitely has to be looked at. You can’t put anything under trees for the most part, (although birches are pretty good with daffodils🌼), and the larger specimen shrubs, like hydrangeas and sunflowers, need lots of space between them too.
It would be nice to have 10 more levels to 70 as well! I’m just getting my house together and I won’t have enough to fill 4 floors!🙏👍

Message 4 of 8 (873 Views)

★ Guide

Great suggestions. Maybe the development crew will take note. 

Message 5 of 8 (819 Views)

★ Guide

This is a post that needs to be focused on. I agree to all of this. On the piano part also, can I suggest that it can be put outdoors? 'Cause I've been wanting it so bad to be out in my yard just like the guitar to have this sort of outdoor music party with the romantic tables and chairs setup. If the guitar can, the piano also should! Thank you for the studio in advance!

Message 6 of 8 (644 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@MargotQuinn24 I don't believe the developers are ignoring us. Being able to place objects outdoors is maybe something we can ask for.

We need to take into consideration that there are many devices with all kind of specifications. If we could place lots of objects, a lot of low end devices would not be able to even open the game.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

AHQ Guardian - Volunteer Moderator

Message 7 of 8 (642 Views)

★ Guide

Good point @SalixCat no wonder there are lots of simmers now. The game is so good. And I just did realize that there's already a lot of improvement on most objects more than we asked for. And yeah, you're right, the limits are a must.

Message 8 of 8 (607 Views)