The general backwardness in The Sims 4

by Garnnett

Original Post

The general backwardness in The Sims 4

★★★ Newbie

The step back in the Sims.

With the Sims 4 I am quite disappointed and like me, many other players. After the good work done with the Sims 3 with that big map full of land where you can build and the possibility of touring the city with different transports where it seemed a little open world full of adventures with the expansions came the Sims 4 with beautiful graphics full of colors and little else. Load times for travel, less content, less sims, closed world without the possibility of exploring and with load times, worse quality expansions etc ... Really for what they got The Sims 4? They have returned technologically to the Sims 1, where technical limitations were evident at the time, but they do not currently have these problems. Honestly, the best game is undoubtedly The Sims 3 and now I have completely abandoned The Sims 4 to play when I feel like the SIms 3, simply because of its higher overall quality. If you are planning to release a few Sims 5 and make a clean slate, it's time to put your batteries and do a good job with the Sims 3 as a reference. In fact it would be wonderful if you did a remastered The Sims 3 polishing the A.I. improving the Building system that is something that the Sims 4 has done well and offer a new expansion to encourage success in sales.

Finally I would like to leave a suggestion. The Sims 3 should come out in full with its expansions on PS4, Xbox and especially Nintendo Switch and what a great thing it would be if it were a remastered Sims 3.

Message 1 of 5 (569 Views)

Re: The general backwardness in The Sims 4

Champion

@Garnnett, the problem is that The Sims 3 didn't work on many people's computers, or if it did work, it would take forever to load, and then it would lag like crazy, often coming to a grinding halt for a while (and this would take a lot longer than the simple loads that TS4 has!)  TS3 would overclock many Simmers' laptops, and while I didn't play with a laptop, I still had lots of trouble by the end of TS3's run!  Disappointed  I would always have to have a big book to read while "playing" TS3 so I had something to do on my downtime -- and I read a lot of these books during the Sims 3.  I never have to read during the loading screens of TS4!  There's no time for it! Wink

The concept of TS3's open world was great, but in reality, it didn't work as intended for many people.Frown  This is why EA made TS4 the way they did.  Even when TS3 wouldn't' lag, or altogether stop, the open world didn't always work to our advantage.  For example, sometimes our Sim would have a task to accomplish that would require interacting with a Sim they didn't live with, but their work hours didn't' permit them to socialize until the middle of the night.  The problem is that in an open world, most of the Sims would be at home "in bed".  You would send your Sim down to some local hot spot like a bar or restaurant, but there were no Sims to interact with.  (By the time any Sim reached that spot, your Sim would be too tired to do anything, or would have to go to work.)  So you would look for another place to send them to that looked like it had one or 2 people to interact with, but by the time your Sim got there, those Sims were gone, leaving that venue empty as well! Teeth bared  What good is an open world if no one is there when you need them? Confused I never have that problem with TS4!  If my Sims travels somewhere late at night, there is always other Sims to interact with! Party hat  To me, the Sims3 open world was a lure that often didn't pay off.  It was as if I was promised pizza but got lima beans instead. Wink

Also, some aspects of TS4 are better than TS3.  For starters, I love that Sims 4 lets your Sims multitask! This makes them seem more life-like, and makes it easier to accomplish much more with them.  Also, Vampires and Toddlers were done much better in TS4 than TS3.  I am not the only person who has stated this.  Furthermore, families (if you have the Parenthood Game Pack) feel much more like families that they ever did in any of the versions of The Sims! Heart

By far, the best part of TS3 was the Create A Style (CASt) that allowed you to take any color or pattern and place it on any object your Sim wore or owned. It would also let you take any pattern and change it to a color you liked! Party hat  But this too had its perils!  I admit a lot of it was my fault since I was soooo addicted to CASt that I couldn't stop adding patterns and colors! Embarrassed This clogged up my game immensely and any time I would go into Build/Buy Mode or give them a new outfit, it would take 40-45 min just for all my CASt selections to load! ShockedDisappointedDevil

My favorite version of The Sims is probably TS2!  The graphics wouldn't hold up today, but the storytelling was fantastic !  I preferred TS2 gameplay over TS3.  :eahigh_file:

As for using TS3 as a reference for TS5, (unless EA can figure out how to give us an open world that actually works on most people's computers), I don't think they will be doing an open world again.  Not everyone can afford an expensive gamming computer. 

That said, they would probably take some cues from all of the Sims versions if and when they ever make a Sims 5! Wink

Happy Simming on whichever version(s) of the Sims you like best! Party hat

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 5 (550 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I understand what you tell me and I agree that The Sims 2 is definitely a great game and I still have good memories when I go back to see their launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w&t=27s

Regarding the Sims 3 certainly had a waiting time to enter to play a little long depending on how well you said the computer of each person. In my case I had a mid-range computer and I have to say that although it seems strange it worked quite well and if I found enough sims around the city. Also, the more ram memory you had available, the more sims there could be in the city. I understand that at that time many people did not have enough computer to work quickly and the waiting time was lengthened more with mods of cars, houses, objects etc ... But being realistic. Years have passed since the Sims 3 and today's computers have improved a lot in terms of power, memory and with an SSD hard disk that are no longer so expensive, the load times are drastically reduced. In short, currently have no excuse to create a more advanced game and if the problem is to create a very large open world can do it semi open without many load moments that really are very annoying no matter how small they are. Another issue that I did not mention but that everyone really complains about in the Sims 4 are the poor content that they sell as DLC or expansions that are not really worthwhile and only seek to extrovertly extract money, even with messages announcing the expansions or content that you They are missing when you are playing. It is quite annoying. If you are willing to take out a new Sims 5 I hope you really work hard before going on sale and with a decent content before selling expansions. It would also be very interesting to add the possibility of activating new options that would make a game more mature or realistic for players who are not so young but who are still attracted to the Sims.

To finish I hope to see the games of the Sims in Nintendo Switch with an online feature to find our friends playing around the city or visiting their houses or apartments.

Message 3 of 5 (535 Views)

Champion

@Garnnett, sorry to take so long to answer back!  Embarrassed  But thank you for replying to my reply! Wink

Boy, that was some trailer for TS2!  I have seen that trailer before, but not in a long time! Raised eyebrow Even though the actual game never had some of the activites that the trailer showed (such as toddlers hanging from a spinning ceiling fan!) it still brought back a lot of memories! Thanks! Heart

Yes, you are right about needing higher RAM memory for The Sims 3 -- I didn't have enough so my city was sparsely populated compared to some others' cities.  But with TS4 they are trying to make a game that that most people will be able to play. Angel  Apparently, even with this there are still some people that are having problems with being able to have space for all the expansions for The Sims 4 on their laptops/notebooks.  I don't have that problem since I play on a desktop, but I'm sure there are quite a bit of people who play on a notebook.  Just in the last hour, I replied to a person who had this very problem!  (The thread was about the possibility of allowing TS4 to be online to utilize the Cloud so less powerful computers could handle it.  Feel free to read it, if you want).  

And yes, our technology is much improved from what it used to be.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that EA "currently have no excuse to create a more advanced game".  I used to wonder why we could go to space and even land on the moon, but no one could invent pantyhose that didn't run and snag.  But then I learned to knit, and only then did I understand the problem that I had assumed for years was so easy to solve! Raised eyebrow Large smile  Sadly, this isn't the only time I had assumed something could easily be fixed with current technology only to find out the problem was much more complicated  than I had imagined.  Frown   How do you make a complex computer game that allows most people to play it, but still has pushed the boundaries of the game's genre? Wondering  

I think that EA struck a balance between TS2's closed world and TS3's open one.  TS4's semi-open world really seems like a blend of these two styles.  I'm happy with that!  Standard smile  Now, if they were able to have an open world that worked like it should have for all players, then that would be perfect!  Wink

As for the problem with some packs needing other packs in order to get all the features, no, that isn't ideal. Frown  But then again, most people who would want the extra stuff that comes with My First Pet SP are animal lovers and probably already have (or are planning to get) the Cats & Dogs GP.  I think more people are upset at the principle of this than they are with it actually being a problem in their game. 

As for if and when there is a Sims5, I don't know if it would be a good idea for EA to make it more "mature" like you suggested.  I know of a great many people (myself included) that are adults and still find The Sims interesting enough to play! Party hat  Plus, how "mature" should a game like this go?  No matter what boundaries you might think are acceptable, some one else will want to push the envelope even farther, while others will be completely turned off.  Since the Sims has always been for Teens and older, I think it should stay that way.  

Also, the Sims had an online version over 10 years ago.  But it must not have worked out as planned since it didn't last that long.  I do not know if they would be willing on trying an online version again or not. Wondering  But I do hope they enable the Sims to work on as many platforms (like Nintendo Switch) as possible! :eahigh_file:

Finally, thank you for responding to me in a polite manner even if I don't agree with everything you mentioned! Angel  Your respect is much appreciated! Heart

Happy Simming! Party hat

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 5 (505 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I played the Sims 4 and was just as disappointed and for the same reasons. If Sims 5 does not have an open world and better building flexibility I am finding another game. The semi-open world is OKAY if it is the only way for computers to handle things smoothly. I have played the Sims from the original game and I was so disappointed with this latest game. It is bad enough to finally perfect your gameplay and building skills only to have to start all over every 5 years, but to go backward is just a waste. Not spending another penny on Sims until they get it right. New users and younger people rave about sims 4 because they never used the other games. Also, I wonder if the original designers have retired and the new generation of programmers just don't know what they are doing? How else could they have gone from the excellence of the sims 3 backward?

Message 5 of 5 (411 Views)