Taking Ls - Refund Process

by maluah

Original Post

Taking Ls - Refund Process

★★★ Newbie

The following is a low-key rant. I wanted somewhere I could talk about my experience, this seemed like the best place.

Customer service at EA leaves a lot to be desired. I have been playing the Sims 3 for many years. My brother bought me the Sims 4 a while back, and I never really got into it. Because of the sale that Origin had, I decided to go ahead and get two expansion packs, hoping this would beef up my game play. I gave a it decent try, spending hours getting into all the features of Pets and City Living. Unfortunately, I didn't like it. The Sims 4 lacks everything I loved about the Sims 3, and the expansion packs can't change that.

So life goes on. I had some exams to study for, and work to do.

A week later, I decided to try to get a refund. I didn't like the game, and it wasn't worth playing. It took some time to figure out that I couldn't simply call them and talk to someone, and it was too much of a hassle at the time to go through the steps to get someone to contact me. Exactly nine days after I bought the game, I had some free time, and made the request to get a call. I sat around all day, but the phone never rang. I got an email saying that they tried to call, but I guess it just never made it to my end. I double checked my number, all good. I worked all weekend and tried again. Nope. Okay, how about a chat? It was painstakingly slow. I requested a call again, and finally got one.

According to their refund policy, refunds can't be issued past 7 days if the game has already been played. Kunal, the person that I was talking to, told me this. This didn't apply to me. He kept saying that it was within 7 days. Its within 7 days if I had never LAUNCHED the game. Which I did, so that window never applied to me. He didn't get that part, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. After being on hold for a few minutes, Kunal came back on the line to reiterate what he said before. That's all well and good, but I had asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told that I couldn't do this because the supervisor had no new information to give to me. So I can't voice my complaints to anyone at EA, and am stuck doing feedback through a message board.

I told Kunal that it was fine that they wouldn't give me a refund, I mainly wanted to get some Sims 3 expansion packs anyway, so I would take store credit. Nope, not happening. Again with the 7 days. Just a quick shout out to the supervisor "Atul" (doubting its his real name) who wouldn't come on the phone to speak to a customer. 

I want to be dramatic and say "I'll never buy from EA again" or "Origin has lost a long time fan", but that's probably not true. Being a giant corporation, I don't think they care what someone like me has to say, but i'll say it anyway. You had my trust and love EA, and you've just lost it. 

Whats a frustrated Sims player to do? Swallow anger and lose $40 apparently. Great game guarantee, yeah right.

TL;DR: Can't return a game if you've played it outside of 24hrs. Learn from my mistake.

Message 1 of 2 (231 Views)

Re: Taking Ls - Refund Process

EA app Team
Hi @maluah,

Sorry to read you didn't like the game and you are not happy with your experience with our advisors.

To avoid any confusion in the future, and avoid this from happening again, I would like to clarify game expansions are not under the Great Game Guarantee. This is a guarantee for full game (or "base game") downloads published by EA, including full game pre-orders and most full games on promotional discount.

I would recommend reading this article, as it contains all the details on how Great Game Guarantee works and the time limits for refunds: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/what-s-the-great-games-guarantee/

You can also find the Great Game Guarantee Policy in Origin: https://www.origin.com/store/great-game-guarantee-terms

Cheers,
-Mai
Message 2 of 2 (204 Views)