Switching from Mac to PC (the Sims 4/Origin)

by jillianjswan

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Switching from Mac to PC (the Sims 4/Origin)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi there!

I am going to be upgrading/replacing my computer in the new year and have some concerns about moving from MAC to PC.

I currently use Origin for the Sims 4 on Mac but there is a possibility that I may be replacing my current Mac Air with a PC and not another Mac computer!

Since Origin and games are tied to the Origin/EA account and not the computer, will I be able to re-download Origin and my purchased the Sims 4 game and expansions (etc) to my new computer regardless of Mac/PC? (Simply by logging into my existing account?)

I am not worried about transferring any existing or saved game content... Completely happy to start the game new and fresh w/o any saved games. 

If I have a Mac do I HAVE to get another Mac or will I be able to download the same games on my new PC? 

Message 1 of 2 (6,117 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Switching from Mac to PC (the Sims 4/Origin)

@jillianjswan  You'll be able to download Sims 4 onto your new computer, for free, regardless of whether you get another Mac or a Windows PC.  Owning the PC version of Sims 4 means you own both the Windows and Mac versions and can have both installed at the same time.  (I have the game installed in both OSs, and it's never been an issue.)

If you'd like, you can also transfer your saves.  The contents of the Sims 4 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts work equally well in Windows and macOS; that goes for saves, Tray files, mods and custom content, etc.  Best practice is to launch the game once on the new computer, then transfer the files to their respective folders, not the subfolders themselves, i.e. copy over the saves, not the saves folder.  And depending on how you transfer your files, you may need to zip them together first; sometimes certain files get corrupted in transit.

Point is, you can transfer all your user content if you want, and all your owned packs will be available without your needing to take any extra steps.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (6,090 Views)

All Replies

Re: Switching from Mac to PC (the Sims 4/Origin)

@jillianjswan  You'll be able to download Sims 4 onto your new computer, for free, regardless of whether you get another Mac or a Windows PC.  Owning the PC version of Sims 4 means you own both the Windows and Mac versions and can have both installed at the same time.  (I have the game installed in both OSs, and it's never been an issue.)

If you'd like, you can also transfer your saves.  The contents of the Sims 4 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts work equally well in Windows and macOS; that goes for saves, Tray files, mods and custom content, etc.  Best practice is to launch the game once on the new computer, then transfer the files to their respective folders, not the subfolders themselves, i.e. copy over the saves, not the saves folder.  And depending on how you transfer your files, you may need to zip them together first; sometimes certain files get corrupted in transit.

Point is, you can transfer all your user content if you want, and all your owned packs will be available without your needing to take any extra steps.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (6,091 Views)