Suggestion concerning the 'sharing is caring' shenanigans

by MeltingPenguins

Original Post

Suggestion concerning the 'sharing is caring' shenanigans

★ Guide

Note:

I do NOT have EL, i'm just going by the experience of players who do.

Looking at how many people have an issue with NPCs stealing all sorts of random stuff since EL, maybe re-do the 'sharing is caring' NAP in a way that ties it to some sort of community inventory you can put things into? I mean, there already are things similar that ingame, shouldn't that work?

Message 1 of 7 (663 Views)

Re: Suggestion concerning the 'sharing is caring' shenanigans

★★★★ Expert

I'm bumping this idea, because it is so good. I love the Eco-Living pack, but am having a bit of a hard time thinking what the gameplay value in that particular NAP is; even when the bug of NPC's stealing from festivals and community lots is fixed. 

Here is the bug report for it, please click Me Too on the first post to signal how many players want this to be fixed:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-ECO-Objects-disappear-from-lots-NPC-Stealing-with-and/td-...

Message 2 of 7 (601 Views)

Champion

@MeltingPenguins, this is a good solution.!  Standard smile  It would still be a pain to reposition everything, but at least we wouldn't have to buy everything all over again! 
Hopefully they will tweak this NAP and either use your suggestion or maybe even something better. Fingers crossed

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 7 (573 Views)

★ Guide

Like, we do have yardsale tables and similar ingame already. That's one option I was thinking off.

I mean, IRL it would be something similar. a box, a room, maybe just a ledge on a low stonefence with a sign 'free to take'

Message 4 of 7 (557 Views)

★★★ Expert

I am with @DonroaAkashu on this one-- the game-play added with the Sharing is Caring NAP is much more frustrating than enjoyable to me and I've gone through great extremes (disabling NPC voting, using cheats and mods, etc) just so I do not have to deal with it. I would love to see more limits on what type of items are "shared" or stolen while this NAP is active. Maybe limit it so they only steal lower-cost items that were crafted in a Fabricator, or candles, or fizzy juice, something like that.

Message 5 of 7 (520 Views)

★ Guide

There are different type of players. My preference is building things and creating multiple families and letting them do their own thing for a while.  Since I don't mind the game running a bit wild and allowing sims to do their thing (I like a bit of unpredictability and don't want to control everything), I usually don't get very upset at things taking their own life., But, with the download of Eco in one of my neighborhoods the world went just bananas. It started with me moving a family and one of my own created sims (who in fact is not klepto) just stopping by swiping an entire table. I was thinking 'maybe she had a bad day'.  What was annoying is that the active sim had no option of responding. He couldn't confront the thief, despite standing right in front of her or beat her up or do nothing except saying "hello neighbor, how do you do?".  I already think this game lacks proper responses (Like lack of long term consequences on sims. Losing a parent 2 days of sadness and then they are happy again. No memories so what ever happens to the sim doesn't matter in the long run. I had a sim kill multiple husbands. Whether she liked them or not the end result was always the same; 2 days of sadness (even when they hated each other) and then back to killing the next one. I even got the black widow challenge and still it had no consequences on the unsavory sim. I am digressing). And I thought that would be it. One rouge sim is the kind of level of unpredictability I enjoy quite a lot. But then things went off the rails. More and more things started going missing: counters, microwave, showers, couches, coffee table, plants.  I couldn't keep up replacing them. No sims around, just objects vanishing. My entire grand piano just vanished while I was looking at it. There...poof...gone. I like to explore the game on my own.  I don't read the descriptions cover to cover and gameplay statistic so when this started happening I thought I broke the game. I have no cc's and only MCC controller (which I updated before playing eco).  I went to the Origin website and ran the repair procedures. When I went back I had to literally replace the entire house from the gallery because half of the objects were missing. So instead of playing I was constantly replacing objects. I did not spend hours building a beautiful home to the smallest detail to have it destroyed by a buggy expansion pack in an hour of gameplay.  I finally found the issue after google search. I send my sim to the mailbox and there it is, the real culprit 'sharing is caring' or as I call it 'vanishing and stealing'. I do not think this is what anyone had in mind when they said they want burglars back. That is an occasional animation of of one of your less savory creations going on a little adventure and throwing a slight monkey ranch into the quite predictable machine. This is the absolute worse idea I have dealt with in the sims game. First it is misnamed, Second it's clearly buggy. Third for those that enjoy creating it's just disrespectful to the hard work they put in as builders and decorators. Fourth it makes the klepto trait almost completely pointless (since everyone is just taking things willy nilly).  The lack of responses from the active sim is infuriating By the time in takes to repeal it half of my neighborhood is bare. I mean my own active sim had a chair in his inventory. He swiped his own chair. Who's brilliant idea was this? In all honesty I hate most of the NAPs. The water was cute for a while, but then my toddler is getting fined. Really my toddler? Hey toddler you are about to be fined. Why isn't this message directed to the adults in the house? it's always my  kids and toddlers that get it. Then when the water got shut off I sent my sim to the gym to take a shower, but after a while I had to repeal it.  At least this one gave me time to do so before everything went wonkers. The 'roughhousing encouraged' was just driving me nuts.  This is not unpredictable add on if it's happening all the time.  In the end I turned off NAP all together in game options.  Most of them were annoying rather then fun. It just turned sims into lunatics doing stupid sh$#@ over and over again. In this winded response here is what I would like to see. Allow players to turn off or on some initiatives all together.  Right now your option is to repel something, which in case of sharing is caring takes too long to save a house from being butchered (My things were vanishing at an alarming rate) or to turn off NAP in options, which takes away some of the gameplay. I think the entire NAP should be overhauled. Most of those enacted initiatives happen way to often and just make the game look buggy.  I understand some people might enjoy this nonsense (that is why I think players should be allowed to check or uncheck those that should or should never be allowed).  If you are looking for ideas for sharing is caring only then have them craft things and gift it.  That would be considered sharing. I have things vanishing without anyone around. How is that sharing? Who the hell took it, if nobody was there? That just looks like a game glitch. At least let my sim get the stuff back and slow down the rate of mysterious vanishings to give me time to stop this nonsense. It took me more time to replace thing then to play. I like to build and put  work into it. I don't want it destroyed in a few minutes of game time. There are a lot of people to enjoy the building as the main activity, this initiative is just destroying their creations. I know this was long, but I needed to vent. 

Message 6 of 7 (472 Views)

★ Guide
@MeltingPenguins I like this idea. I like any idea that would change sharing is caring, but I like this one a lot.
Message 7 of 7 (462 Views)