Re: Steam > Proton for playing Sims 4 on Linux - worth it?

by eustacecs

Original Post

Steam > Proton for playing Sims 4 on Linux - worth it?

★ Guide

Yo fellow gamers.

I'm stuck with Linux Mint for three months. Maybe more. Hardware is OK - in even direst case TS4 should work well at lowest settings.

Any point in getting Steam version of TS4 to abuse its Proton feature for game running?

Attempts to use WineHQ or Lutris were unsuccessful - Origin itself hogs so many resources so even Plant vs Zombies is barely playable. And cheating Origin into Steam>Proton as 'added non-Steam game' made no difference.

So I thought I could take a shortcut... if using Steam version would change anything, of course.

Message 1 of 4 (1,277 Views)

@eustacecs  The Steam version of Sims 4 still requires Origin to run, although it runs "quietly in the background," for what it's worth.  If Origin is taking more resources than it should, there are various settings you can try to address it, but there's no way to remove Origin from the process entirely.

Some of the ways to help are disabling hardware info sharing; disabling the Origin Client Service and Web Helper Service, which can be seen in the Task Manager or blocked from starting with msconfig in Windows, to give you an idea of where to look; or running Origin in offline mode, which will probably block the Gallery from opening but would at least let you play Sims 4 in peace.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (1,273 Views)

★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict , in this particular topic I'm interested in 'out of the box' implementation Steam Proton + Steam version of The Sims 4 uses, thank you.
Message 3 of 4 (1,260 Views)

@eustacecs  I understand that, but my point is that if Origin was a problem before, it might still be a problem with Proton.  Regardless of what setup you use underneath Sims 4, the game itself will still require Origin to be present and running.

As for whether the game works well enough in Proton to be worth the effort, I don't actually know anyone who runs Sims 4 in Linux.  You'd be better off asking on the Steam forums, where there are probably at least a couple people who've tried it and could give you an idea of how well it works.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (1,235 Views)