Re: Start Planning Your Snowy Escape in The Sims™ 4!

by EriSims974

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Thank you I have dyslexia and I can't read long posts my friend reads them for me but my area became locked down over a week ago thanks for the information and also I would love to build vacation lots in other worlds.

Message 11 of 51 (884 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

This looks so much better than the last packs that were released all year long(I didn't buy any lol, except Tiny Living and some old ones I didn't have), I hope it doesn't disappoint at the end. I'll get it (My Mac is so going to hate me as much for space than for using it as a gaming laptop lol) but anyway, I'll get it but hopefully, EA can do some sales not long following this release because I never buy any pack full prices. It seems like the game-changing we all waited though so it's good 👌

Message 12 of 51 (871 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I'm writing this after the decision to remove certain "offensive" elements from the pack.

I'm not blind to the atrocities that Koreans (and many other Asian ethnicities) endured during WW2. But, you need to understand that simply getting offended by something is not a valid excuse to demand a feature to be removed from the game. Especially when these features (shrine worship) are an integral part of Japanese culture and religion.

The fact that the Japanese forced the Koreans to worship shrines is terrible but that doesn't mean that shrine worship ON ITSELF is terrible. Religion has been used many times in the past to oppress people but that doesn't mean religion is the problem. People who use it this way are the problem!

Here's another example. I'm Greek and in the past, when Greek people where under Ottoman rule, the Ottomans (that were Muslim) oppressed Greek and other non-Muslim populations in horrible ways. Is this valid excuse for me to demand that the Muslim-inspired clothes and objects (that came with the September 2019 update) be removed from the game, since they "evoke imagery with painful historic meaning"? No, of course not! Hijabs and taqiyahs are harmless, similarly to shrine worship and Japanese fan patterns in clothes! (and BTW I'm not actually offended by these, it was just an example)

Now, I understand that as an international company you wish to be politically neutral, and this is why I suggest you remove these elements from the Korean version of the pack ONLY (similarly to how a Rising Sun Flag was removed from the Korean version of Persona 5 in 2017). Imagine a Japanese simmer being excited to see their culture represented but then not being able to have their sims worship a shrine (as they usually do in Japan) because of a Korean controversy. This is not the kind of "inclusivity" you want for the game, isn't it?

Message 13 of 51 (823 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@nickbkcin If you agree with that, please sign and share that petition: http://chng.it/bjBg6BHQBh
Message 14 of 51 (792 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@nickbkcin the fact that these where removed is somewhat annoying to me aswell.. EA states that they are listening but, it only appears they are listening to a certain group.. I've started a comment that I realized I shouldn't and afterward deleted because I was afraid of someone getting offended or hateful comments on it but, then was banned and called out for deleting my comment on a web forum.. Is this not the same thing!? EA/ Maxis created something and are now pussified backing out of what they created because someone was butthurt over it? what about what we are taught that if you believe in something then you shouldn't let what anyone else says affect what you put out there and if you it does then you should be responsible for it.. not removing it from the many simmers that want it. Ea says there listening but, it more sounds like they are punishing there own customers for grief
Message 15 of 51 (771 Views)

Champion

@nickbkcin and @Korgly In another thread on this forum some simmers in the community debated on this topic: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/New-pack-and-inclusivity-problems/m-p/9636945#...

Would you please read the statements that were exchanged there. I also want to urge you to have a discussion or debate in a respectful manner towards all participants and community members. Sometimes retracing your steps is the right thing to do. And most of the times it is better to be safe than sorry. Therefor I do agree with the steps EA took to delete some of the elements. There will still be a lot to play with, without hurting other peoples feelings.

@nickbkcin could you give me one good reason why you want to play with elements in the game that might evoke hurtful feelings for some other players? I hope you will understand I will definitely not sign your petition.

I do understand the grievance some of the animated elements can have on some of the players in the community. I pre ordered the game because I wanted to see my Sims playing and frolicking in the snowy landscapes. I did not know about the animations that caused these grievances nor the effect some of the animations and elements would have. And really, I don't mind that EA took those elements out in order to bring the EP back into accordance of the character of the overall game. i.e. not to be hurtful to groups of players. I will still be glad to play with this pack.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 16 of 51 (739 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@TrismagistosI've participated in many conversations about this topic and the one you mentioned was about inclusivity in the Sims Team and the developers' intentions. Didn't have to do with what I'm talking about here.
Also, read my previous post. I said at the end that the wisest thing to do in this situation is to censor these elements for the Korean version of the game ONLY. This way, many sensitive Korean players will not have to feel uncomfortable and the rest of the world (including Japanese people) will enjoy doing an otherwise harmless practice and use beautiful clothing patterns and posters.

Message 17 of 51 (722 Views)

Champion
@nickbkcin The debate in the link I included was also about the topics you mentioned in your post. And according to my opinion it has everything to do with the greater topic of inclusion. The Sims community has everything to do with inclusion.

My parents were both children during WW II and my country suffered a great deal. A part of my family lived in Asia during that war and they also suffered the occupation in that region. I would like to state here that it is not only the 'Asian ethnicities' that suffered from the war in that region as you mention in your post.

I did read all your posts but I don't understand why you want different packs for different nations. In my opinion this has nothing to do with inclusion. Your suggestion looks a lot more like segregation.

By the way you did not give me a reason why you want to be able to play with a game or in this case an Expansion Pack that might evoke hurtful feelings. And, there is no way I will be able to compare The Sims 4 with Persona 5.

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 18 of 51 (715 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Trismagistos No, it's not segregation smh. I don't want different packs for different nations, I simply said this pack should be modified accordingly so that everyone is happy.
Also, why can you not compare The Sims 4 with Persona 5?
Now, bowing animations and traditional Japanese patterns are HARMLESS. Yes, they've been used in the past to oppress people but that doesn't mean they are inherently evil. They can stand by themselves as cultural symbols and religious practices without being attached to the horrid experiences the Japanese empire put people through in WW2. They are in no way comparable to the Nazi flag or even the Confederate flag because these symbols were meant to represent hate and racism, meanwhile shrine worship and the rising flag have a long history and many other positive meanings attached to them.
If you or any other person look at these symbols and think only about the bad part of their history, that is YOUR problem and something you'll have to deal with cause whether you like it or not, they are an otherwise innocent part of Japanese culture. PTSD can be treated. And in your case it's not even PTSD, you are just frustrated the Japanese government hasn't apologized to victims (as they should apologize) and you take it out on a game!
To provide another example, imagine a Muslim girl from a conservative household who has been physically and emotionally abused by her family because she refuses to wear a hijab. She becomes an atheist, moves out of her family house and now demands the hijab and other muslim clothes be removed from CAS since they remind her of her painful past. Would you support her? Or would you accept to have an item in your game that causes so much pain and sorrow to another person?
Message 19 of 51 (704 Views)

Champion

@nickbkcin  It is unfortunate to notice that you try to put words in part that I posted. I did not write any of the things that you will find in the quotation! Why would you even insinuate that I would have a problem or even that I would be frustrated.

You wrote:

If you or any other person look at these symbols and think only about the bad part of their history, that is YOUR problem and something you'll have to deal with cause whether you like it or not, they are an otherwise innocent part of Japanese culture. PTSD can be treated. And in your case it's not even PTSD, you are just frustrated the Japanese government hasn't apologized to victims (as they should apologize) and you take it out on a game!

Please show me or even quote the frases that I would have used in my post in this topic, that would imply any frustration. And than, why would you suggest that I would be frustrated that 'the Japanese government hasn't apologized to victims'. You yourself state that '(as they should apologize)'. 

I do not take anything out on a or the game. I merely stated that, I can empathise with the people in the Sims-community that might feel hurt by the animation which is now taken out of the pack.Nobody ever played that animation so there is no harm done. 

I would still really prefer it when you read the parts I posted in the link I attached to my former post. 

Although I asked you a question about the reason why you want to play an animation of which you know that it would hurt the feelings of a lot of members in this community, you haven't answered it yet. It seems to me that you are trying to avoid answering this question. 

Let op:

Message 20 of 51 (680 Views)