Small lesbian and gay erasure in Sibling Rivalry story

by HoshinoKabi

Original Post

Small lesbian and gay erasure in Sibling Rivalry story

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

In beginning of the Squabbling Siblings chapter of the Sibling Rivalry story one of the sims mentions their mom and dad. The quote is something along the lines of "Mom and Dad always loved you." I think this bit of dialogue should be changed to simply mention their parents instead of a mom and dad. Lesbian and gay couple can have children too so I feel the dialogue should reflect this instead of erasing that possibility. It was weird to see my sims, the daughters of a lesbian couple, mention a father that does not exist.

(edit: made text size a bit bigger)

Message 1 of 5 (813 Views)

Re: Small lesbian and gay erasure in Sibling Rivalry story

★ Apprentice
Well depending on the kind of relationship a lesbian couple has, one can take on the father role and one can take on the mother role. It isn't totally weird, because it isn't unheard of.
Message 2 of 5 (758 Views)

EA app Team
Hi @HoshinoKabi,

Thanks for letting us know about this! I've just sent this information to the Studio.

Happy simming!
-Mai
Message 3 of 5 (677 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
As an actual gay mom ... who knows tons of lesbian or queer moms ... I can say I have never heard of a single situation where a lesbian parent "took on the father role." Like, what we're doing as queer women is rejecting that sort of "a kid needs a mom and a dad" sort of thinking, so why on earth would we "take on a father role" -- ??? We're just parents.

It is unheard of to me, a queer woman who also teaches LGBTQ Studies as my job. Also: for a character who has no "dad" to reference her "mom and dad" is indeed "erasure" of same-sex parents, as the original poster said. You're trying to argue that it's not lesbian/gay erasure, but it is.
Message 4 of 5 (584 Views)

★★★★ Guide
How did you start the sibling rivalry story? My playable sim has a brother in the house, but the story wasn't an option.
Message 5 of 5 (529 Views)