Sims failing study term after switching to different household. Bug or not?

by MeltingPenguins

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims failing study term after switching to different household. Bug or not?

★ Guide

I recently noticed that my Sims fail their terms when I switch to a different household in between.

I.e. They have their last class of term on Tuesday, and I switch to a different household from friday to monday. Coming back to the first household the game will tell me my sim failed their term.

I vaguely remember that this wasn't the case before the latest patch (as in, I could play a different household, and the term would simply be pushed to when I come back. I think I even used that as a workaround to stop my sims from not going to final exams on holidays), but i'm not entirely certain.

Is this working as it should or is it a bug?

Message 1 of 6 (1,985 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims failing study term after switching to different household. Bug or not?

Hero

@MeltingPenguins  What you describe is the normal way things work with DU.   Once you start a term with a sim, the term keeps progressing whether you are playing the household the enrolled sim is in or not.  It does not work like a career where you can switch to another household and suffer no career loss for the sims you are not playing at the time. 

But in DU, depending on the length of seasons in you game, terms are either 5 or 7 days.  I play with 28 day seasons and my terms are 7 days.  I always enroll on a Sunday and the term starts at 7 AM on Tuesday and ends the following Monday at 6 PM when the grades come out.  So once I enroll a sim, I have to play the household for the next 7 days unless I am willing to risk letting my sim(s) fail.  I have found that you can leave the household for only a short time, less than an in game day, and still manage to get your sim(s) through a term with decent grades depending on which day of the week it is and what their class schedule is.  You could switch out for the weekend days too.  Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck playing a term nonstop from start to finish.

I hope this helps.

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (1,953 Views)

All Replies

Hero

@MeltingPenguins  What you describe is the normal way things work with DU.   Once you start a term with a sim, the term keeps progressing whether you are playing the household the enrolled sim is in or not.  It does not work like a career where you can switch to another household and suffer no career loss for the sims you are not playing at the time. 

But in DU, depending on the length of seasons in you game, terms are either 5 or 7 days.  I play with 28 day seasons and my terms are 7 days.  I always enroll on a Sunday and the term starts at 7 AM on Tuesday and ends the following Monday at 6 PM when the grades come out.  So once I enroll a sim, I have to play the household for the next 7 days unless I am willing to risk letting my sim(s) fail.  I have found that you can leave the household for only a short time, less than an in game day, and still manage to get your sim(s) through a term with decent grades depending on which day of the week it is and what their class schedule is.  You could switch out for the weekend days too.  Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck playing a term nonstop from start to finish.

I hope this helps.

Message 2 of 6 (1,954 Views)

★ Guide

So, when the term shifted when I played a different household before was the bug then?

Message 3 of 6 (1,932 Views)

Hero

@MeltingPenguins  You may have just been lucky with timing before.  Say you only had classes on Tuesday and Thursday.  If you left the household to play in another one on Thursday night, you don't miss any classes if you come back to the household with the student before the following Tuesday since you wouldn't of had classes on Friday, Monday or the weekend.  Also depends on when your term starts.  For me, it has always played the way I describe in the earlier post.

Message 4 of 6 (1,917 Views)

★ Guide

Well, I kinda remember leaving a household for at least two seasons (I thiiiiink it was to get the seeds from harvest festival with another sim) so i missed at least two classes.

Message 5 of 6 (1,905 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I think this has been raised on the DU bug thread.  It should be added to the rotational household bug thread as when you switch households work performance suffers too. Pregnancies also move forward. 

if I leave a sim and play another household with aging only affecting the active household, your sims shouldn’t carry on without you in my opinion.  None of the other games did that.   This is a bug or a flaw in the game I personally think. 

Message 6 of 6 (1,848 Views)