Re: Sims 4

by your_girl_ziy

Original Post

Sims 4

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Ok so i recently got a windows hp laptop and it won’t let me get origin because it says it has to go through the Microsoft App Store or switch out of s mode so should I take it back if so what kind would I be able to play the sims on 

Message 1 of 17 (3,454 Views)

@your_girl_ziy  In theory, you could "upgrade" to the regular version of Windows 10 and download Origin.  However, computers that come with Windows 10 S mode installed are almost universally under the minimum requirements to run Sims 4.  Plus, among other things, they generally have very small hard drives, so there might not even be enough room to install the game, let alone play it.

If you post your budget and country, I can list some laptops that would run Sims 4 and let you know more or less how well they would handle the game.  But they're probably going to be more expensive than a typical HP Stream.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 17 (3,410 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you so much and I don’t want anything to expensive and i live in the us 🥺💞

Message 3 of 17 (3,385 Views)

@your_girl_ziy  What's your definition of "too expensive"?  I can look for options in your price range, to a point: it might be difficult to go much under $400 and still get a decent laptop.  There are a range of decent options in the $600-900 range; anything more than that is overkill for Sims 4.  Let me know how much you'd like to spend, and I'll try to find something that works.

Message 4 of 17 (3,375 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict what about in the 500 range thank you 🙏🏽
Message 5 of 17 (3,308 Views)

@your_girl_ziy  In the $500 range, most laptops aren't proper gaming systems, with hardware that would only run Sims 4 on medium graphics settings, or maybe medium-high if you didn't install all packs.  But I did find one entry-level gaming laptop for $480.  Even with all packs installed, it should still run Sims 4 on high-ultra or ultra settings:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Nitro-5-15-Gaming-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-5-2500U-Processor-AMD-Radeon-RX-5...

If you don't mind getting a used laptop, this one has a stronger processor and a slightly faster graphics card.  (The other hardware is the same.)  There's a "used, like new" option for $500, offered by a third-party seller that has a 100% rating from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-6-inch-Anti-Glare-WLED-Backlit-15-cx0056wm/dp/B07KQXHP4M/

I didn't see anything else under $600 that was better than these two options.  Still, let me know if you're looking for something a bit different, and I'll look again.

Message 6 of 17 (3,240 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict so would the first option be good enough for me to get some packs and mods stuff like that and still get good game play
Message 7 of 17 (3,183 Views)

@your_girl_ziy  Yes, the first laptop would be good enough to run all packs together (all 8 expansions, 8 game packs, and 16 stuff packs) on a mix of high and ultra settings.  Most mods wouldn't add much to the demands of the game; custom content can tax a graphics card more, depending on how it's made.  But even if you found some more demanding content to add, the laptop should still handle all high settings with no trouble.

Message 8 of 17 (3,176 Views)

★ Novice

Hi puzzlezaddict, I have been looking for an entry level gaming pc for my wife to play Sims 4 on. Her old laptop wasnt that great and struggled to run it before it finally died. I saw this post and was shocked at the awesome laptops you found and recommended at that price. Right now $500 is about as much as i can do but i am not able to find anything close to what you did. I hate to ask you to spend your time to help me out, but if you could i would be so grateful. 

Message 9 of 17 (2,861 Views)

@Backseat_Yeti  I'd be happy to look for something suitable.  What country are you in?  There are a few that use dollars, and price and inventory are going to be wildly different in each.

It might also be good to wait for the week of Black Friday to shop.  I'll still look now if you want, but $500 might go significantly further in a couple weeks.

And there's no reason to feel bad about asking for help finding a laptop.  I enjoy the virtual shopping, at least most of the time, and it doesn't take all that long anymore now that I know how to search efficiently.

Message 10 of 17 (2,830 Views)