Re: Sims 4 on HP stream 11 options

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 on HP stream 11 options

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi I’m going to be getting a 32gb hp stream11 laptop tomorrow and would like to play the sims 4 (downloaded via origin) I’ve read numerous forums of people saying it downloads fine, I’ve seen others saying to get a usb flash drive stick and download it to that or to get a sandisk sd card.

please can someone who has the laptop shed some light on what I should do? 

Message 1 of 6 (3,517 Views)

Accepted Solution

@tiaabraham152  The hard drive in your new computer isn't large enough for even the Sims 4 base game, so yes, you'll need to install it on an external drive or USB stick.  You may need to redirect the downloadcache to the external drive as well, although try downloading the normal way first.

SD cards are not as fast as other storage, and for a game that's going to need to exchange large amounts of data with your hardware in real time, an SD card isn't a great choice.

Having said that, I don't know that you'll have a good experience playing on this laptop.  Running the game from any kind of external storage is going to be slower than if it were installed internally.  The processor and graphics chip in the Stream 11 are also quite weak for Sims 4, so much so that you might see performance issues even on the lowest graphics settings.  You can certainly try to play anyway; I'm just saying don't be surprised if you run into issues.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (3,487 Views)

All Replies

@tiaabraham152  The hard drive in your new computer isn't large enough for even the Sims 4 base game, so yes, you'll need to install it on an external drive or USB stick.  You may need to redirect the downloadcache to the external drive as well, although try downloading the normal way first.

SD cards are not as fast as other storage, and for a game that's going to need to exchange large amounts of data with your hardware in real time, an SD card isn't a great choice.

Having said that, I don't know that you'll have a good experience playing on this laptop.  Running the game from any kind of external storage is going to be slower than if it were installed internally.  The processor and graphics chip in the Stream 11 are also quite weak for Sims 4, so much so that you might see performance issues even on the lowest graphics settings.  You can certainly try to play anyway; I'm just saying don't be surprised if you run into issues.

Message 2 of 6 (3,488 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I’ve just ordered a sandisk usb stick on Amazon so hopefully that’ll work 🤞🏽 thank you for responding I’ve been tearing my hair out for something I haven’t yet received 🤣😭
Message 3 of 6 (3,483 Views)

@tiaabraham152  I hope the USB stick is large enough.  For the base game only, 64 GB should be plenty; 32 is technically enough but would make the initial download a bit dicey.  For all packs together, you could still install on a 64 GB device as long as you didn't try to download everything at the same time.

Message 4 of 6 (3,457 Views)

★★★ Newbie

did you find an answer? because i have a hp laptop as well but mine is 64 gb and it takes 47  gb just to download it and i dojnt have enough space. So I went and bought ssd storage just to find out  that my computer doesnt allow me to use it

Message 5 of 6 (2,877 Views)

@CeezBeez  What exactly did you buy for external storage, and what happens when you try to use it?  Sims 4 won't fit on a 64 GB drive, at least not if you own most of the expansions, but you should still be able to install the game on an external drive.

Message 6 of 6 (2,866 Views)