Re: Sims 4 Gallery - Can't use hearts or other symbols

by Gednaa

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Gednaa @Japanic2012 @VIKING5GRL I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty with the hearts! I'm not entirely sure what's going on, and in case there is a console alternative I expect @PoptartJuniper would know, so I'm tagging her here.

My info: I'm on Mac, my game is fully updated, I have all packs, and I never use Mods/CC.

I just did a few tests to see if any of this will help you to try/know. In all of these cases I began with the text hearts I added into my comment here on the forum. Please note these are text-versions of hearts, and I think they are the only hearts I've found that would work for this, "Thank you all so much! You're awesome! ♡♥♥♥♡" ... this is from my clipboard currently:

• First I tested in the EA Gallery in the browser (that's where I almost always request downloads or comment): https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery
    I frequently get auto-logged-out, but I leave a tab open to it. You do have to make sure you're logged into your account in the browser for this to work:
    Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 1.08.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 1.08.25 PM.png

• I then opened my in-game gallery and tried the same thing from my clipboard then from a text editor....

From my clipboard - copied the comment I made in the browser:
    in-game-1.jpg in-game-1

Next I copied and pasted from a text editor with the same result:
    in-game-3

I'm not sure if any of those steps were different from what you all tried, but I decided to post the information just in case.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 11 of 28 (1,046 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@SheriGR Thanks for the post. I personally have no problems using Emoji characters on the Gallery as you can see on the attached picture (just tested minutes ago). The issue is, I am using the Japanese language setting (which has the graphic characters already included and can be called upon with just a key stroke) and therefore have no idea how to realize this in other languages like English or German since I am not using them. I know that game devs in general use their own set of character fonts (for each of their games) which has to be drawn all by hand (or at least purchased from commercial vendors). I am assuming they have put together a set of TS4 fonts, not sure however which graphic characters they have chosen to implement (like the Japanese fonts 日本語 obviously and others like ❤ or ★.

Message 12 of 28 (1,028 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Thank you everyone, I tried copying from a text editor, using the onscreen emoji selector that I found in preferences, but still nothing.  When I add the hearts like this <3 <3 they are just simply missing from the message I sent someone.  I know it seems silly, but this is the usual way we all let each other know we care and appreciate their friendship and support.  I appreciate all your suggested methods, but none are working still.  

Message 13 of 28 (994 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Japanic2012That would be interesting to know.  I may try the Swedish keyboard and see if I can get that to work (being a swedish speaker). Thanks.

Message 14 of 28 (993 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Console just uses a standard keyboard on screen. There may just be a block on characters and numbers, which seems weird, when posting comments. I have honestly never posted comments on the gallery. 

For console users, they could try posting comments from their phone, tablet, or pc web browser to include hearts. 

I think gallery creators understand you love their work when you favorite, download, and/or post a thanks, even without the hearts added.

Message 15 of 28 (976 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@Gednaa @SheriGR I wondered how the browser-based Gallery (using Google Chrome) translates into the actual in-game one and found out, that there is a slight difference when displaying the same graphic symbol for ❤. As you can see in TS4fonts03.jpg, the browser-based Gallery displays the ❤ properly (typed in via Chrome and seen encircled in red), while the in-game encryption, as seen in TS4fonts04.jpg, is corrupted by only showing ■ (which means in essence, the program can only find an empty space). @Gednaa Maybe the next time you copy & pasta your symbols, it might help when you go directly into the game Gallery and do it there. In addition, try out other symbols like  ★ ♡ ♩ one at a time to see if they come up in the right way as seen in my case.

Addition: Actually, there is a difference between the symbols ❤ and ♥ (you notice the difference in size?), the first one being rejected, the second (smaller) one accepted by TS4.

Message 16 of 28 (954 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@PoptartJuniper Yes, I can imagine it must be different from a phone or tablet. I'm stuck on Mac and Big Sur and it's weirdness! :D. We're all so very friendly in the gallery and that's our way of showing our love and appreciation of each other and their works. Probably seems silly to other people, but it's the way of the gallery to communicate well with short space to comment.
Message 17 of 28 (902 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@Japanic2012 Thank you so much for this in depth guide. I have noticed a difference in other simmers' heart shapes/styles. I've really tried copying and pasting to the gallery, but those hearts are stubborn, they're not going to show for me. I tried bringing up the console on my Mac in preferences, but no luck. Will keep scratching my head (till it bleeds) and will try your suggestion. Thanks so much. Will report back. Standard smile. I can see them typed in the box, but when I submit the comment, the hearts are missing. Really odd. I used to work for me until a couple of weeks ago.
Message 18 of 28 (901 Views)

★★ Guide

@Gednaa wrote:
@PoptartJuniper We're all so very friendly in the gallery and that's our way of showing our love and appreciation of each other and their works. Probably seems silly to other people, but it's the way of the gallery to communicate well with short space to comment.

Yes, this so much! I tried using <3 in a comment again and as you said, it just disappears when posting. Really is odd that it can be used in gallery bios and descriptions but not in comments.

Message 19 of 28 (874 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@VIKING5GRL  @Gednaa Did you all try using the browser gallery, as I mentioned previously (sorry for the repetition)? As @PoptartJuniper mentioned, this could be an alternative for those on console also.  
Browser Gallery (you will need to log into your EA account in the browser first:  https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery

I'm a builder and completely understand what you're saying. Feedback, encouragement, and kind words are absolutely wonderful – the wind beneath your wings!! Another fantastic option (or to combine with the hearts, if you can manage them, is to add in the comment that you 'faved and downloaded' the item, as that is what matters to most builders the most - the number of downloads and faves on the lot. Saying that you did that definitely shows some love! 

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 20 of 28 (867 Views)