Sim cancels cooking before finished

by mirandactyl

Original Post

Sim cancels cooking before finished

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I have a household where sims just automatically cancel their actions, especially cooking. 

My sim begins cooking with no problem, but then walks away, leaving a chopping board (or similar) on the counter. If I tell her to return to cooking, she will complete another step and then automatically cancel again, leaving the food as a bowl (or similar). It takes three tries to complete a meal, but she can and will do it. There is nothing actually stopping her. 

Similarly, sims will "get leftovers" from the nearby fridge, put them onto the dining table, but then walk away without eating. 

It's not just one sim, but the whole household, and even the NPC nanny. Results in chopping boards and food bowls everywhere. Also everyone starving themselves?

My game is completely vanilla, no CC no mods. I turned off move objects; deleted ALL decorations, windows, everything near the countertops and oven. I also repaired my game via Origin, and tried moving the family out and back in. Please advise :/

UPDATE: I have continued exploring this problem and realized that it MAY occur because in the middle of cooking, my sim gets the inspired moodlet and wants to go paint, play piano, etc. I have mitigated the problem by temporarily deleting all creative objects from the house? I hope to add them back someday, though Frown

Message 1 of 6 (1,078 Views)

Re: Sim cancels cooking before finished

★★★ Expert

@mirandactyl Do you have the Eco Lifestyle pack? If so, try repealing all NAPs for your neighborhood. Some of those NAPs can cause disruptive behavior with Sims dropping whatever they're doing to do a NAP activity. Just click on your mailbox if there is no community voting board in your neighborhood. There is a Shift + Click cheat to instantly repeal NAPs if you cannot get enough signatures through normal game-play (or if you don't want to wait that long).

Message 2 of 6 (1,046 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks so much for the great suggestion! I really appreciate your help.

Yes, I have eco lifestyle and it does cause issues sometimes. I removed NAPs but am still having the issue, unfortunately. Frown

I also had the "Chef's Kitchen" lot trait and removed that, plus all other lot traits, just for good measure. My sim still just ... Walks away from cutting boards. Very strange. 

Message 3 of 6 (1,033 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@mirandactyl Are you playing on a PC or a Mac? The reason I am asking is because repairing your game through Origin functions differently on a Mac than it would on a PC.

About your update, I keep all sorts of creative activity items in my Sims' houses and I haven't run into this kind of problem. The only cooking/eating-related bug I still see is my Sims won't eat at the table unless I direct them to it first or place table settings.

Message 4 of 6 (1,025 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks for your continued help! I'm on PC. 

Message 5 of 6 (1,013 Views)

★★★ Expert

@mirandactyl I was looking through some old bug reports on various sites and it seems like this issue pops up every now & then but there does not seem to be a common fix. You have already tried several of the things that worked for some other players. Does this problem occur if you test on a different family in your current game or if you start a new test save?

Have you tried deleting the localthumbcache.package file in your Sims 4 folder? This is a cache file that the game stores certain data in for quick retrieval. If you delete this file it will clear the cache and the game will auto-generate a new one the next time you launch it.

Also, another player reported that sending their family on vacation to somewhere like Granite Falls cleared it for them.

Oh btw, if you had been on a Mac, repairing your game through Origin does not check as many game files as it does for PC. Since you are on a PC that doesn't affect you.

Message 6 of 6 (999 Views)