Re: Sim Adult Children Starting Families

by jpkarlsen

Original Post

Sim Adult Children Starting Families

★★★ Apprentice

Hi all,

I'm into the whole family legacy thing in Sims 4. If I split/or kick out a young adult child that my original two Sims had, can that young adult child get married and have children of their own outside the household that I'm playing? Or does the young adult child need to get married and have children in my active household?

Also, by default are the other Sims in different households and world aging, getting jobs, having children etc independently, or do I need to switch a setting on to enable this? 

Lastly, do empty lots in various world get filled on their own or do you need to build in them?

Message 1 of 8 (1,633 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@kittell17 

There are different ways. You can make the Sim fall in love and marry someone. If the other Sim has a house you can then in the split/merge screen move them into that house. You can also in Manage Households split the Sim from the household and move him into a house on his own and go from there. You would then decide when you start which household you want to play. This is called rotational play.

No empty lots do not fill themselves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 8 (1,614 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@jpkarlsen 

Thanks for answering. I now understand how to remove them from my active household, but can the adult children who are no longer part of the original household act independently, like get married, have children, etc? How would I know if my Sim becomes a grandparent? I'm totally new to Sims 4. 

Lastly, can you tell me how to do a sure fire way in saving my original active household (before they had children, aged, etc)? I have done separate back ups of the tray and save, but what I mean is like how Sims 3 saved each Sim. Is there a way to preserve the current age too, etc? Do I need to upload to my library? How does one ensure that their individual Sims (and married ones) are saved and stored for future use in a brand new game? 

Message 3 of 8 (1,604 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@kittell17 

The Sims 4 do not have story progression for unplayed Sims.

You can at any point load them to CAS and save them to your Library. Notice that they will lose all relationship with other.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 8 (1,575 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@jpkarlsen 

Oh no. Devil Story progression was one of my favourite features in Sims 3. So there is no option at all to enable this then? Oh my...Disappointed

And what about a family's legacy like in Generations of Sims 3? Does that remain in Sims 4?

What about preserving an original Sim or family? I've been backing up my tray and saves folders (new backups after each gameplay). But in Sims 3 you know which ones are saved because it has the Sim's name. Is there a way to know that a Sim married couple, for example, from Day 1 in their life is saved for a new game, etc? 

Message 5 of 8 (1,562 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@kittell17 

There is a Mod you can use called MC Command Center (MCCC). If you are interested Google it. I am not allowed to post a link.

Yes if you saved them to your library make a backup of the Tray folder. You should of course also make a backup of your Saves folder.

I don't remember anything about a family legacy. There is a Genealogy if that is what you mean.

Message 6 of 8 (1,516 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@jpkarlsen Thank you. Yes, it's the genealogy that I was referring to. Do you know how long a single household's geneology an go?

Message 7 of 8 (1,493 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@kittell17 

Sorry no. I'm not interested in that part.

Message 8 of 8 (1,491 Views)