SCRABBLE FAQ - 6/15 Update

by EA_Illium

Original Post

SCRABBLE FAQ - 6/15 Update

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Here is the FAQ for the 6/15 updated SCRABBLE. We hope you all enjoy this new SCRABBLE!

GAME ON!
-Team Pogo

Q: What is the difference with this update to SCRABBLE when compared to the previous version players were engaging with before June 15?
A: The entire game is going to feel like a new experience when players first load up SCRABBLE. However we can break this update into three main areas; game interface and visuals, new game modes and optimized mobile gameplay experience.

1. Visuals and User Interface: We did a major overhaul to the look and flow of the game based on investigations and other best in class word games. Our goal was to build on the traditional board game style to deliver a contemporary approach with elements that make it easier to read and play on web and mobile devices.

2. New Game Modes: We wanted to provide the Pogo players with 4 new modes to play and enjoy. These new modes support both single and multiplayer experiences. To be clear, we have not removed any of the previous modes of play. Players will still be able to play Pogo Classic (Pogo House Rules), Traditional SCRABBLE and NSA games. The new modes are: Crossword, Triple Play, Go Big and Shuffle.

Q: Is the new SCRABBLE available to guest, free players and Club Pogo members?
A: All Pogo players will get to enjoy SCRABBLE, but free players and Club Pogo members get access to more modes of play and the new board themes.

Q: Is there anything that is exclusive to free players and Club Pogo members?
A: Yes, both free players and Club Pogo members get access to unique content.
  1. Club Pogo members get access to the core complete SCRABBLE experience, including all game modes:
    • All Game Modes – Pogo Classic (formerly Pogo House Rules), Traditional, Crossword, Triple Play, Go Big, Shuffle and NSA games.
    • All game styles – Default, Classic, Premium and Redwood.
  1. Free players get access to the following SCRABBLE game modes and features:
    • Basic Game Modes – Pogo Classic and Traditional
    • Two game styles – Default and Classic.

Q: How do I get into a game against bots?
A: To play against bots please follow the steps outlined below:
  1. From the Main Menu click or tap Single Player. From the Single Player menu you can then click or tap the game mode you want to play against bots.
    • You can also follow the steps outlined later for setting up a custom bot game.

Q: How do I get into a Quick Play multiplayer game with other players?
A: To play get into Quick Play please follow the steps outlined below:
  1. From the Main Menu click or tap Multiplayer. From the Multiplayer menu you can then click or tap Quick Play. From the Quick Play menu click or tap the game mode you want to play.

Q: How do I find a multiplayer game to join so I can play with my friends or others?
A: To find a multiplayer game to join please follow the steps outlined below:

1. From the Main Menu click or tap Multiplayer. From the Multiplayer menu you can then click or tap Find a Game. From the Find Games menu you will see a list of available games to join. If you want to see only games that your friends are in you can click or tap the Friend’s Table button.
  2. On either menu you have the option to filter the list in a variety of ways by clicking the Filter button.
  3. Once you have set all filters, click or tap Find a Game to search for a game based on the filters set.

Q: How do I create a table(game) for friends and others to join?
A: To find and play on a custom table please follow the steps outlined below:
  1. From the main menu click or tap the Multiplayer button.
  2. Click or tap Host a Game.
  3. Click or tap the Custom option at the bottom of the screen and click or tap on the Next button in the lower right corner.
  4. Click or tap the base Game Mode that you would like to customize on the left side of the screen and then finetune the gameplay with General and Advanced options on the right side of the screen. Once you have set Game Mode and Game Mode Options click or tap on Next in the bottom right hand corner.
    1. Please note that some options conflict and can’t be active at the same time. For example: the dictionary being on will prevent the ability to challenge words.
  5. You can now set the Table Settings to be Private, choose to play against people or bots, select the difficulty and number of opponents. Once you have everything set click or tap Play in the lower right corner.
    1. If at any point you need to go back a screen just click or tap Back in the lower right hand corner.

Q: Can I set the skill level when creating a custom table?
A: Yes, please follow the steps outlined in “Q: How do I create a table(game) for friends and others to join?” Step 5 (Table Settings) allows you to set the Skill Level/Difficulty.

Q: Are there new modes of play in this update?
A: Yes, we have introduced 4 new modes of play to SCRABBLE.
  1. Crossword Mode: This is not your standard SCRABBLE! In Crossword, players will start with a board that has three 4-letter words placed in random quadrants on the board. Any tiles used to spell the starter words are considered removed from the tile bag. The first word can be placed on any of the 3 starting words. Players may play a word if it is connected to one of the 3 starter words or another player’s word that is connected to one of the 3 starter words. The 3 starter words are grayed-out until they are activated by a player. A player who manages to connect a word to the starter words will receive an additional 10 points for that word. Points are applied after all other bonuses - including bingo bonuses, otherwise, regular game rules apply. (Available to free players and Club Pogo members only)

2. Triple Play Mode: Triple your fun in Triple Play! Players compete in this high-score extravaganza where all premium squares, including the First Word Bonus, are now Triple Word Scores. All other bonuses (BINGO) and regular game rules apply. (Available to Free players and Club Pogo subscribers only)

3. Go Big Mode: Flex your word knowledge in Go Big! Players compete in this fun twist of SCRABBLE where all words score additional bonus points based on the total number of tiles used (up to 50 max bonus points). Bonus points are applied after calculating all other score modifiers. Bonus points are only applied once per turn, i.e. if the player makes two words using the same set of tiles, the bonus is only applied once. Other than this bonus, regular game rules apply. Bonus payouts: 7 tiles = 50 Pts, 6 tiles = 30 Pts, 5 tiles = 15 Pts, 4 tiles = 6 Pts, 3 tiles = 3 Pts, 2 tiles = 1 Pts, 1 tile= 0 Pts. (Available to Club Pogo subscribers only)

4. Shuffle Mode: Shake things in Shuffle! Players will start with a board where all premium squares shuffle places, though the placement of premium squares stays the same on the board. The total number of each premium square type remains the same and the starting Double Word Bonus will never change. All other bonuses (BINGO) and regular game rules apply. (Available to Club Pogo subscribers only)

Q: How do I customize the visual look of my game?
A: You can access the Choose a Style menu in the top-right corner of the screen, just to the left of the Dictionary button. Click or tap on that button to open up the menu to see the four new styles we have.
  1. Default: This is our contemporary approach to the modern SCRABBLE board game. This style is available to all Pogo players.

2. Classic: This is our homage to the SCRABBLE of the past. To unlock this style you need to play a game against someone in your friend's list and win. This style is only available to free players and Club Pogo members.

3. Premium: The future of SCRABBLE is now! To unlock this style you need to win a game with 100 or more points as a Club Pogo member. This style is only available to Club Pogo members.

4. Redwood: This is our update on the Redwood style players previously had. To unlock this style you need to get a bingo (play 7 tiles in one turn) and win the game. This style is only available to Club Pogo members.

Q: Is there a dictionary in game?
A: Yes, the game has a dictionary, but it is not allowed to be activated in National SCRABBLE Association (NSA) and Traditional SCRABBLE games as players are able to challenge other player’s words in those two modes. Also, if a custom game is made with the “Challenge Word” option turned on, the Dictionary cannot be used.

Q: How do I play and chat with my friend?
A: To play and chat with your friend while playing please follow the steps outlined below:
  1. If you are playing Single Player modes of play you will click or tap the blue Chat icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen. That will open the Chat menu and from there select Game Chat. Table Chat is not supported in Single Player.
  2. If you are playing Multiplayer modes of play you will click or tap the blue Chat icon in the bottom right corner of the screen. That will open the Chat menu and from there select Game Chat or Table Chat.
Q. Can friends join a hosted game in progress?
A: No. Unfortunately, for now, your friends will need to wait until the hosted game is complete to join another new game.

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 1 of 1 (3,614 Views)