Rough, jagged shadows

by Rorolina

Original Post

Rough, jagged shadows

★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.63.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Place windows or objects in front of the sun.
What happens when the bug occurs? The shadow appears severely jagged like it has no anti-aliasing/edge smoothing
What do you expect to see? Smooth shadows?
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I don't know if this belongs in technical or bug report, so please move this if it's on the wrong board.

Perhaps I haven't been paying attention to the detail of the game and this has always been here, but I don't remember shadows looking jagged like this:

Jagged Shadows.png

My settings:

Game Options.png

Message 1 of 6 (1,633 Views)

Re: Rough, jagged shadows

Hero
@Rorolina Think that's always been the case.

What's your Graphics card ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 6 (1,610 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm using an r9 290. If the jagged shadows are normal, please remove this thread. I only started noticing them because I began taking a lot of screenshots in game.

Message 3 of 6 (1,588 Views)

Hero
@Rorolina I don't notice such things at all but @Bluebellflora told me she has that on her mac all the time (I know you're on PC and all)

I'm going to move this to GD for now and see if others want to chime in there to see if its been an issue for them.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 6 (1,583 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello, I'm having the same issue with the jagged shadows, is there a solution for this? My game options are set to ultra, graphics card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060.

Message 5 of 6 (1,433 Views)

@Sn0w_White13  Someone with the same issue (or at least very similar) mentioned recently that forcing an antialiasing setting through the Nvidia Control Panel helped.  They didn't list exactly what setting they changed, but I think anti-aliasing was originally application-controlled, and setting the CP to override that (and apply AA in some form) fixed the issue.

You can try different settings in the CP until you find something you like.  Right-click on the desktop, select the Nvidia Control Panel, click Manage 3D Settings, and you'll see a tab for global settings and another for program settings.  In the latter, be sure to select TS4_x64.exe, not TS4.exe, which is for the Legacy Edition.  It might take a bit of experimenting to get the effect you want, but there's no harm in messing around with the options.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 6 (1,429 Views)