Re: Legacy Edition

by SimmySimian

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Apprentice

Is it my imagination or does EA/Origin need to be more explicit about the Legacy Edition and new packs? Seems like you kind people are having to explain this repeatedly. Why can’t Origin detect which version is being played and then permit or not permit purchase of incompatible packs? 

Message 1 of 7 (964 Views)

Accepted Solution

@SimmySimian

It would be great if Origin detected which version of the game the user was running but sometimes people are running the LE when they don't need to due to simply not updating their OS to a compatible version for the current game.

Origin games are tied to the user's account and not the machine. You could have a pack like Discover University running happily on one computer in the house but not on another that is running the LE.

I just wish people would actually read system requirements rather than blindly buy packs without checking. It would save them a lot of heartache, and money, if they did a little homework beforehand.

I've moved your post to the Feedback forum, it's a great question Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (924 Views)

All Replies

@SimmySimian

It would be great if Origin detected which version of the game the user was running but sometimes people are running the LE when they don't need to due to simply not updating their OS to a compatible version for the current game.

Origin games are tied to the user's account and not the machine. You could have a pack like Discover University running happily on one computer in the house but not on another that is running the LE.

I just wish people would actually read system requirements rather than blindly buy packs without checking. It would save them a lot of heartache, and money, if they did a little homework beforehand.

I've moved your post to the Feedback forum, it's a great question Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 7 (925 Views)

the gallery and legacy edition

★★★ Novice

Does anyone else feel as though players with older computers are being punished by the Sims Legacy Edition? I understand some of the logistical reasons for not updating the game for some older computers and attempting to optimize the game on these older systems but some of the changes feel unnecessary. I am particularly concerned about not being able to access the gallery. I cannot interact with other people in the community and have to resort to saving lots from third party sites like The Sims Resource. Many creators only upload on the gallery meaning that Legacy users cannot participate in shell challenges, remodel builds or just enhance their gameplay with amazing builds by other simmers. I tried using the instructions that EA linked in the Legacy Edition FAQs but they are the standard instructions that no longer apply to Legacy Edition games. On top of this many users were told that they needed to download Legacy edition but were not told that any packs after Discover University would not run in their games and other updates such as ladders and free additions like the recent M.A.C. collaboration are unavailable. I was so excited for the ladder update and was convinced my game was broken because I was not made aware of the fact that my game would not update anymore. This is unfortunate because the Legacy Edition was billed as a way to make your game better but instead it just removed a huge part of what makes TS4 unique from other Sims games and cut off users from the greater community. 

Message 3 of 7 (962 Views)

★★★ Novice

EA needs to be more explicit about the Legacy edition. Even just a warning or disclaimer on the check out page or in the pack announcement would solve this problem. I feel like having to read each the pack requirements shouldn't be the only answer to this problem. I had to do some research into the Legacy Edition to troubleshoot and one of the things the announcement/FAQs mentions is that Legacy Edition stopped updating after Discover University. This means that Legacy Edition users cannot run any packs or free BG updates after DU. 

Message 4 of 7 (878 Views)

Re: the gallery and legacy edition

[ Edited ]

@mgm230  The Legacy Edition's limitations were described in a number of places, including here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Feedback/The-Sims-4-Update-on-Supported-Systems/m-p/762...

Specifically:

Will The Sims 4 Legacy Edition receive any additional content or bug fixes in the future?

No, The Sims 4 Legacy Edition will not receive any more content or bug fixes.

Do online features still work in The Sims 4 Legacy Edition?

The Gallery, game banners, and social integrations are disabled. The Sims 4 Legacy Edition will not display or allow any purchases of content released after the update happens.

What Stuff Packs, Game Packs, and Expansion Packs can I play using The Sims 4 Legacy Edition?

You will be able to purchase and play all Stuff, Game and Expansion packs released between September 2, 2014 and September 10, 2019. This includes Luxury Party Stuff Pack, Perfect Patio Stuff Pack, Cool Kitchen Stuff Pack, Spooky Stuff Pack, Movie Hangout Stuff Pack, Romantic Garden Stuff Pack, Kids Room Stuff Pack, Backyard Stuff Pack, Vintage Glamour Stuff Pack, Bowling Night Stuff Pack, Fitness Stuff Pack, Toddler Stuff Pack, Laundry Day Stuff Pack, My First Pet Stuff Pack, Moschino Stuff Pack, Outdoor Retreat Game Pack, Spa Day Game Pack, Dine Out Game Pack, Vampires Game Pack, Parenthood Game Pack, Jungle Adventure Game Pack, StrangerVille Game Pack, Realm of Magic Game Pack, Get Together Expansion Pack, Get To Work Expansion Pack, City Living Expansion Pack, Cats & Dogs Expansion Pack, Seasons Expansion Pack, Get Famous Expansion Pack and Island Living Expansion Pack.

The Legacy Edition was never supposed to make anyone's game better.  Its purpose was to provide a way for people to keep playing Sims 4 after the extensive update that would no longer support many older systems.  The current version of the game doesn't run at all in a 32-bit version of Windows or on a non-Metal Mac, but the old version does, so EA has kept the old version available as the Legacy Edition.

I agree that Origin could be more discerning in which players it tells to download the LE.  But as for people never being told what the LE meant, the information was readily available to anyone who cared to look.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 7 (945 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I understand that the information was available and I was able to figure everything out eventually but when downloading the Legacy Edition on Origin it does not talk about what LE actually changes in your game. EA has shown that they are capable of telling players what new packs and downloads will add to or change in the game. The description of LE is very vague and the link to the more detailed information is not very prominent. I don't think it should be up to players to seek out information regarding big changes like this. If I can see, in origin, every new CAS piece and all of the Build/Buy items for Eco living, I don't understand why EA couldn't have said "Hey LE will disable the gallery and you won't be getting updates after this date" in its description. Since this is being required for many people it should not be something that the users must find "if they care to look." I'm not trying to be antagonistic I just feel that EA could've made more of an effort to inform people and the fact that they didn't makes it feel as though people playing on LE are not seen as being equally important as those playing the regular version. I also feel that the loss of certain features, such as the gallery, is really unfortunate. It also makes it feel as though I need to go out and buy a new computer to fully enjoy my game which is not a viable option for many simmers. 

Message 6 of 7 (918 Views)

@mgm230 

I agree that EA aren't always on the ball with updating various information, and it is intensely frustrating, but the link that @puzzlezaddict  linked above is clearly shown in the LE page in Origin, under the description section.

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 09.08.02.png

The problem with LE users accessing the gallery is because there is content uploaded that requires newer versions of the game. The LE no longer receives any patches so any content downloaded which was made with a later patch version will not work in the LE. 

There has to be a cut off and I don't think it's unreasonable that those on 9+ year old machines are being forced to play a legacy version of the game. Maybe it's time to get realistic about the limitations of the ageing hardware in those machines? 

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 7 (890 Views)