Original Post

Re: Trouble Navigating Gallery

★★★★★ Newbie

@SheriGR I am indeed

Message 150 of 172 (759 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@quinnifin Unfortunately a legacy version game has certain limitations. This is because it's a version of the game that has been 'capped off' at a certain time, November 13, 2019. This is due to the fact that for computers with older technology that is no longer supported with current updates in the game.  Several features of the Legacy edition are:

• New updates/patches (from November 13, 2019) for The Sims 4 will be unneeded by and not downloaded to the Legacy edition
  • It is not be possible to add packs that are released after November 13, 2019 to the Legacy edition
  • The Legacy edition has no access to the Gallery
  • Lots of great information about the Legacy edition can be found here: https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2019/11/sims-4-legacy-edition-2/

The positive part is that the Legacy version allows users with an older computer to still use their game. 

(Thanks, @EuphorialQueen 👑!)

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 151 of 172 (742 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@SheriGR Oh that sucks but also makes a lot of sense. I thought I remembered this past summer being able to access the Gallery and that was probably because I wasn't playing the Legacy edition yet.

Thank you so much (@EuphorialQueen as well). You have been super helpful!

Message 152 of 172 (689 Views)

I hate Legacy Edition

★★★ Newbie

I have been playing for years I am absolutely in love with it. I have created so much on sims and its truly been my getaway from the real world and actually helped me through depression.

Sims 4 came along there was a lot of work that had to be done but I enjoy creating the thing I loved most was the community gallery.

I no longer have access to community gallery because of the new legacy edition and the game just doesn't feel the same.

If this is never going to change I should at least get a refund on all the money I spent on buying packs right?

Message 154 of 172 (720 Views)

Re: I hate Legacy Edition

★★★ Newbie

Its so frustrating. I had already purchased Tiny Living and University before I even found out about the Legacy update. I cant play them and they are not available for refund. After just now discovering that I cannot even access the gallery I have to admit that its unlikely I will continue to play this game. Not the way to say thank you for 20 years of loyalty and hundreds of dollars spent.

Message 155 of 172 (710 Views)

★ Guide

Are your computer processors 32bit and thus you can only run Legacy?

I downloaded the Legacy Edition because I was told to via Origin, but when it comes to Settings > Game Properties, I still have it on run on Sims 4 64bit format since my computer is a 64 processor. In turn, I've had no problems whatsoever with playing University outside of having to start my game clean: removed my mod, saves and tray folders to my desktop and started the game. Everything worked fine then, so I returned my three folders and all is well.

Message 156 of 172 (671 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@atropanocturna 

You need to contact Support. https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/?product=the-sims-4&platform=pc&category=technical-support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 157 of 172 (630 Views)

Legacy Edition is a disgrace- EA- listen to your audience.

★★★ Novice
  • I’m sure plenty of us have had to install legacy edition around November time. And I’m sure all of us are incredibly disappointed in EA for the unasked for, unnecessary update. 

• I understand the whole computer thing, with Discover University not being compatible with older computers. I understand that completely. 

• what I don’t understand is why EA have gone about it the way they have. I don’t see why those of us with older computers have been swept aside with a sub-par version of a beloved game. 

• what a lot of you don’t realise is that, for us, high tech computers are simply unavailable to us due to our economic background. What EA have done is ostracise all of those who have a lower income and simply cannot afford a fancy computer. It’s disgusting, unethical and unfair. Sims is, and always has been, a game for everyone. 

• and what are we left with? Well: no bug fixes, no free updates, no future DLC, and, in my opinion the worst of all, no gallery. The gallery feature is essential to every Sims player- whether it’s sharing your creations which you have worked so hard on, uploading and downloading interesting sims, or simply downloading a house so you can start gameplay. This feature is no longer available to us. I want each and every one of you to try playing sims and not using the gallery, new packs or bug fixes, and tell me how far you get.
  • EA, what you have done is unethical and unfair as well as completely unnecessary. If Discover University was going to be incompatible with older computers, you should have made that EXPLICITLY clear. Perhaps making it so that if you have an older computer, and error pops up. That way, those of us who have been forced to download legacy edition can still have the same enjoyment as our fellow simmers, just minus a pack or two, rather than just completely cutting us off in a callous, unthoughtful and frankly disgusting manner. 

Ella, Nerdsonneptune 

www.nerdsonneptune.wordpress.com

Message 158 of 172 (660 Views)

Re: Legacy Edition is a disgrace- EA- listen to your audience.

@nerdsonneptune 

nerdsonneptune wrote:

• what a lot of you don’t realise is that, for us, high tech computers are simply unavailable to us due to our economic background. What EA have done is ostracise all of those who have a lower income and simply cannot afford a fancy computer. It’s disgusting, unethical and unfair. Sims is, and always has been, a game for everyone. 

Lets stay at "fancy computers".
I don't know what kind of computer you use, a Mac or a PC.

For Mac, the Legacy edition was necessary because Apples new OS is not supporting 32bit applications any longer and it also only supports Apples new graphic API Metal
So without the Legacy edition, provided by EA free of charge, people on really old Macs would not be able to play the game anymore.

And that is how it works normal in the computer world.
You can't keep up? Bad luck, bye bye. 

EA prevented that for a lot of people, as said, free of charge.

I used the words "really old" on purpose here, because some Macs as old as 2012 do support Metal and so the standard edition of The Sims 4.

On PC it is even easier.
As long you have a 64bit Widows OS that is at least Windows 7 (That was released in 2009) and a PC that matches the Minimum system requirements for the Standard edition (who is only different in the amount of RAM you need, 2GB Legacy and 4GB Standard edition), you still can play the standard edition.

Any PC that matches the TS4 minimum system requirements that was build in the last 10 years supports 64bit Windows, and any 32bit key of Windows will also work for a 64bit version.

So, it hardly requires "fancy computers" to still play the Standard edition.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 159 of 172 (605 Views)

Expansions and stuff packs

★★★ Newbie

I'm not allowed to run discover university or tiny living, two packs I've gotten recently, but they won't run on 32-bit, when is there going to be an update so the newer released packs will be playable by all?

Message 160 of 172 (518 Views)