Original Post

Please delete

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

PLEASE DELETE

Message 1 of 5 (416 Views)

Re: Cultural Items

★★ Guide

Hey. I understand your concern. In my case, as soon as people realize I'm born, raised and still living in Mexico they ask me questions about my culture (Especially about Día de los Muertos, my favorite Holliday!)

But that's the thing: people SHOULD show that interest to know about others' cultures. I don't agree with some of EA practices, but in this case their job is to make games so people can have a good time, they cannot force information on unwillingly people or "educate them" if they don't want to.

Just like in real life, why would you want to waste your time on someone who shows no interest and might not respect your culture and the info you're giving to them? If people are genuinely interested they will see the items and feel so genuinely curious that they will feel the need to look for more info (internet gives you easy access to research this by yourself) or directly ask people who know about it.

I know your intentions and suggestions are goodintentioned, but I think it has been proven that forcing things on people rarely produces positive results.

Message 2 of 5 (391 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

please delete

Message 3 of 5 (379 Views)

Champion

@BrynnasaurusRex , The Sims 4 is for the purpose of entertainment, not for educational purposes. TS4 is also rated Teen and older, which is old enough to learn how to look up information be it in a library or on the internet.  Nerd 
The problem is, everything has cultural significance to someoneRaised eyebrow Blue jeans and a T-shirt have cultural significance, as does pizza, fish tacos, mac & cheese, the game of chess, Christmas trees, even the belief in  Aliens or Mermaids, etc.!  It would be impossible for there to be anything in the game that didn't have a lesson behind it then.Disappointed  

You use the example of the hijab being added to the game.  That was a free addition to the base game, an addition that came several years after the base game was released! So EA didn't profit at all from its inclusion! Standard smile Same can be said for some of the Caribbean items, Chinese items, Mexican items, and Indian items! 

EA put these items in the game so people of those cultures could create Sims like themselves.  This is something that most of the community wants, and this forum sees requests for certain cultural items to be added to the game all the time, almost always by people belonging to that particular culture!  Years ago on this forum I read a request for the ability for shoes to be taken off at the front door and for the area that is done in to be a "sunken" area just like traditional Japanese homes because that person was of that culture and wanted to make their home in the game. Well that person can finally recreate their own home, and other homes in their culture! Party hat  But now you are saying that it is wrong for EA to do this?  If that is the case, then we can't have a game because no matter what they do someone will be angryDevil This is impossible! Disappointed

When City Living came out I immediately looked up some of the new dishes from the food stalls that I wasn't familiar with.  Same with Jungle Adventure.  I was very happy that they decided to recreate real recipes!  Later I saw some of these recipes on both the Food Network and the Travel Channel! 😎 So dishes I might have run across watching the Food Network or the Travel Channel , and promptly forgot about have now stuck in my mind thanks to The Sims 4! 🥰

And finally, just like @Valadenthys  stated, people seldom learn when it forced on them.  This way they are invited to investigate and don't even realize that they learned something! Party hat

Happy Simming! Party hat

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 5 (320 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Please delete

Message 5 of 5 (304 Views)