Phone calls about finding a ring not ok

by DizzyDee-K

Original Post

Phone calls about finding a ring not ok

★ Pro

First of all the "I found a ring with looking through so-and-so's bag" is creepy. Second these are always my played Sims and if I want them to propose, I'll have them propose whilst playing with them. Could we at least not have these calls for our played Sims?

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 12.07.26 PM.jpg

Message 1 of 9 (1,002 Views)

Re: Phone calls about finding a ring not ok

Champion
@DizzyDee-K I've disabled Neighborhood Stories just for now and these calls have stopped completely.
Other calls have carried on such as trying for a baby and promotions, friendship advice and crushes. But it has stopped the calls about finding a ring. It still needs a little work and I'm sure (hope) it will be improved over time.
It's bizarre when it's your current sim and their own partner calls but I think that has already been addressed.
I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 2 of 9 (901 Views)

★ Pro

I don't have Neighborhood Stories active. (Used it in a test copy of my main save and everyone either died or had multiple babies Oops) I still get the ring call, though. It's not their partner that calls, it's just one of my played Sims calling to ask advice of another of my played Sims.

Just seems weird, creepy and inappropriate to have someone going through someone else's bag.  

Message 3 of 9 (887 Views)

Champion

I'm getting the "found a ring" call also, even though I have disabled the NS options completely.  It's my understanding that the phone calls about getting engaged, having a baby, going on a date, etc. are separate from the NS story progression.  We had one patch that gave us those phone calls, as well as the conversation interactions to encourage extending the family or finding a dream job and such.  Then we had the patch that gave us the NS story progression that allows NPCs and unplayed sims to progress unfettered.  It's awesome that they gave us the option to disable the story progression (though it seems there's a bug with that addressed in another thread here).  I wish that we could have the option to disable the phone calls too.  I find them to be really disruptive in general.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 4 of 9 (876 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@JonaO703 wrote:

I find them to be really disruptive in general.

Same here. I only have the base game which from my understanding means significantly fewer calls than if I had a bunch of packs, but even the calls I do see get annoying at times. Sometimes the calls even seem to glitch out, and do nothing. For example I just heard the little ditty (or whatever you want to call it) indicating that a friend of one my sims had just died, which was shortly followed by the phone icon over them indicating a call, but instead of the call being for the dead friend like I was expecting it showed it as just a call from another friend and when I clicked to answer it did nothing at all. The bad thing is that I'm in a point in my save where so many sims are dying that it's getting hard to keep track of them all, so I still have no idea which sim just died thanks to the buggy call.

So like you said, I would really love an option to disable not only those story calls but calls in general. Maybe instead of just a generic option to silence the phone, add in an option that lets you choose what types of calls you want. I'm sure there might be mods for computer versions of the game, but some people simply don't want to rely on mods and would rather have options. Plus for those that play on consoles (like me) there is no option for mods anyway.

Message 5 of 9 (859 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

Yeah, I HATE it when I get it with my played Sims. 

I'm using a mod that limits the calls to only never played Sims, and I still get "I found a ring in [your played Sim]'s bag!" :P (The call itself came from an unplayed Sim, but he found the alleged ring in MY Sim's bag!)

1. Get out of her bag!

2. She's not going to marry you.

3. You don't want her to marry you because she's a black widow. You're her boytoy.

Message 6 of 9 (844 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

My problem with all these calls is they just don’t fit in the character of my played (inactive) sims.

I have a lesbian married couple, which have the family orient trait because it fit. They own a *daycare* (In vanilla I just gave them the toddlers from other sims from 08:00AM – 08:00PM, in my modded I use littleSamsMod -> live in bussiness) They don’t want kids for herself. They happy to take care of other kids and help them. Most of the baby calls come from this couple if I don’t play them!

I have another story couple; a vampire, and a mermaid. They are not married or engaged. They don’t believe in this aspect of live, and don’t want to get married. Now... which couple rings always and say he/she found a ring in the bag (which bag? They both don’t use bags!) Of course, this couple!

I have NS disabled since it was released, I only active twice once to test something with pets and dying and other time to test another thing (If you have NS disable under options the *discuss expanding the family* and the baby calls result with nothing <- you still get these calls)

I don’t play my vanilla save at the moment. There are too many aspects which no longer fits for me, especially these calls are annoying + no bugfixing. (I need to build a rockt, which I can’t and no, I don’t want active the TEC-NAP because I don’t want to see my fashion girl playing with a future cube, which breaks again her character) The sims team make it almost impossible that I still have fun in a vanilla game, I can live that my characters sometimes breaks but that is now really too much. If I don’t could use mod, I don’t think I would buy more packs from this game just because of the gameplay decision and not because I don’t like more DLC. All DLC + Kits have something was I like.

Message 7 of 9 (818 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

The creep factor of "so I was going through your bag" goes to PTSD trigger level if you've ever had the sort of controlling abusive partner that *would* go through your handbag or your phone, too. Sims really needs to get rid of that - how about just "so I really think this person is The One, should I ask them to marry me?" No creep factor, no drama.

Message 8 of 9 (683 Views)

★ Guide

Absolutely, please! I generally find those calls weird, I get what they're trying to do, let us have more control over NPCs, but this also takes away our control over our played but inactive sims, by forcing decisions on us we aren't ready to make. And you can't even cancel those calls, you have to pick an answer. They should expand on neighborhood stories, because I like how we can customize them, and get rid of those intrusive calls.

I also have to agree on the creepy/abusive factor of this particular call. And others aren't much better. Why are my acquaintances asking my permission to get to know someone as a friend? To go out on a date? To have a baby? Some of those questions are so trivial, others are life-changing, and my sim gets asked to decide their fate. It feels so wrong, and I don't like it. I appreciate them giving us those choices, but this is not the way to do it.

Message 9 of 9 (580 Views)