Re: Pc/laptops that work without Legacy edition.

by snow_dog04

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Pc/laptops that work without Legacy edition.

★ Novice

So I’ve been looking for laptops or Pcs that are $300-$400 so that I didn’t have to use Legacy edition like my current Mac laptop. But I’ve only found a few laptops that I think are good but they are 600-700 and the few that I have seen that are around my amount I Just don’t know if I should get one or not. 1. Acer Aspire 5 2. Acer Nitro 5, but I haven’t looked at any PCs tho.

Message 1 of 12 (1,071 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]

@apathetictoof  The first one you listed is better than any I saw for under $600 while looking just now.  I have seen that particular laptop for exactly $600 before, so if you see it for that price again, it would be an excellent choice.  But right now, it looks like the cheapest price for a new laptop with an Nvidia 1650 is about $670.

The best laptop I saw for $600 is this one, with an Nvidia 1050.  It's slower than a 1650 but should still manage ultra or a mix of high and ultra settings.  The processor is also weaker than the one you saw but should still be good enough for whatever you want to do in Sims 4.  The laptop also has a 512 GB solid state drive, which is enough space for most people.

https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-R5-3500U-Graphics-retroiluminado-M570DD-DS55/dp/B0865PR4W5/

Other than that, the available laptops generally have a low-end dedicated graphics card, or a high-end integrated card, which would still be slower than the dedicated cards.  This one is $550 and has a dedicated card capable of high or medium-high settings, plus a good enough processor and a 512 GB hard drive.

https://www.staples.com/acer-aspire-5-a515-54g-54qq-15-6-laptop-intel-i5-8265u-8gb-memory-512gb-ssd-...

Of the options with integrated cards, this Acer is the best one I've seen, although it would still be slower than those above.  Its integrated graphics chip should handle medium or medium-high settings without a problem though.

https://www.newegg.com/acer-aspire-5-a515-44-r4m5/p/N82E16834316900?Item=N82E16834316900

And just to be clear, none of these would need the Legacy Edition.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 5 of 12 (927 Views)

All Replies

@apathetictoof  It would help if you linked the laptops you're considering, so we can see their specs.  However, $400 isn't a lot in any currency, and you'd probably be looking at medium graphics settings at best, or maybe even low.  The same goes for desktops, some of which (especially in that price range) have laptop hardware with a large screen.

Still, if you'd like other options, I can try to find some.  Just list your budget and country, as well as any other considerations that matter to you.

Message 2 of 12 (1,019 Views)

★ Novice

I live in the United States and my budget is -600 but I’d rather not have to spend that much. I want the laptop for steam games, sims 4, and for school. I have two other Mac laptops that are old and have low battery, also don’t work very well. The sims 4 runs slow on them and I have to use sims 4 Legacy edition for both, my steam isn’t compatible for them either anymore.

Aldo, yes I’d be more than great full if you could look for any others. I’m fine with either PC/Laptops, as long as I don’t have to spend too much money.

1. https://amzn.to/3iumCX4 2. https://amzn.to/3exopI9

but I just looked at these ones and they’re prices have gone up.

Message 3 of 12 (978 Views)

★ Guide

So, what operating systems have to run LE?  I know that it's any 32-bit operating system, but I haven't seen any breakdown of which ones those are.  There's MAC OS and there's Windows, let's not worry about the various operating systems installed aftermarket by people who are stark raving crazy and willing to monkey with that.

Message 4 of 12 (958 Views)

[ Edited ]

@apathetictoof  The first one you listed is better than any I saw for under $600 while looking just now.  I have seen that particular laptop for exactly $600 before, so if you see it for that price again, it would be an excellent choice.  But right now, it looks like the cheapest price for a new laptop with an Nvidia 1650 is about $670.

The best laptop I saw for $600 is this one, with an Nvidia 1050.  It's slower than a 1650 but should still manage ultra or a mix of high and ultra settings.  The processor is also weaker than the one you saw but should still be good enough for whatever you want to do in Sims 4.  The laptop also has a 512 GB solid state drive, which is enough space for most people.

https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-R5-3500U-Graphics-retroiluminado-M570DD-DS55/dp/B0865PR4W5/

Other than that, the available laptops generally have a low-end dedicated graphics card, or a high-end integrated card, which would still be slower than the dedicated cards.  This one is $550 and has a dedicated card capable of high or medium-high settings, plus a good enough processor and a 512 GB hard drive.

https://www.staples.com/acer-aspire-5-a515-54g-54qq-15-6-laptop-intel-i5-8265u-8gb-memory-512gb-ssd-...

Of the options with integrated cards, this Acer is the best one I've seen, although it would still be slower than those above.  Its integrated graphics chip should handle medium or medium-high settings without a problem though.

https://www.newegg.com/acer-aspire-5-a515-44-r4m5/p/N82E16834316900?Item=N82E16834316900

And just to be clear, none of these would need the Legacy Edition.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

Message 5 of 12 (928 Views)

@snow_dog04  A 32-bit version of Windows can only run the Legacy Edition, but that's not a consideration for Macs: all versions of macOS have been 64-bit for about 15 years.  The consideration for Macs is whether they support the Metal API.  For the OSs, the Mac needs to be running at least El Capitan (10.11), although the game runs poorly, or sometimes not at all, on anything lower than a fully updated High Sierra (10.13.6).

For the hardware, generally speaking, any Mac released in 2012 or later will support Metal, and a couple of high-end older models can be upgraded to support it too.  But some of the oldest Metal-supporting Macs don't run the game that well either.

Message 6 of 12 (923 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you I will look into them and I think I’ve picked one! Your a great help, do all three of those work with steam? 

Message 7 of 12 (860 Views)

@apathetictoof  Yes, they're all compatible with Steam.

Message 8 of 12 (835 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict Shows how much I know about Macs lol.  So how about Windows, anyone know what release changed over to 64-bit?

Edit:  Why don't I just google that?  Vista.  So, anyone running LE has a pretty old Mac?  Because I had an XP system for a long time, and by about 2015 at the latest I couldn't get any new games anymore.  So you probably never could get TS4 in the first place if you had a PC running Win XP.

Message 9 of 12 (813 Views)

@snow_dog04  Anyone running the LE on a Mac either has a 9+ year old Mac or an almost six year old OS: Metal support was only included with El Capitan, which was released in 2015.  I do know that people were able to play Sims 4 in XP, although it's not possible anymore because the current version of Origin requires at least Windows 7.  The legacy version of Origin was sunset in January; this change was independent of the Sims 4 Legacy Edition.

There are still 32-bit versions of Windows around, including Windows 10.  It's pretty unusual, and I think all new systems ship with the 64-bit version, but that wasn't true when 10 was released.  And while anyone running a 64-bit version of Windows should be able to play the standard version of Sims 4 in theory, in practice Origin sometimes forces the LE on people with 2 GB or even 4 GB RAM.  Additionally, some graphics chips don't support 64-bit gaming.  So it's a bit more complicated than it seems on its face.

Message 10 of 12 (774 Views)