Re: New file found.

by procian

Original Post

New file found.

★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 2.65.70.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? A bunch
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Look in your game files in documents
What happens when the bug occurs? People are finding a new file in thier document game folder avatarcache.package I was hoping you knew or could find out if it's something we need to delete occasionally like localthunmcache.package or if it's a never touch it one?
What do you expect to see? No such file was ever there before this last patch
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Last patch

Gggg

Message 1 of 9 (6,592 Views)

★ Guide

Got it too....is it a vital file?

Message 2 of 9 (6,429 Views)

★★★ Expert

I've been asking around. It's a .package file but I've been told it doesn't really have anything in it yet. We've been speculating that it might have something to do with the new Nifty Knitting pack. I'll post an update if I hear anything new.

Message 3 of 9 (6,400 Views)

★★ Guide

I noticed the file after I had downloaded a bunch of mods. Thinking it was part of a mod, I moved it to my Mods folder along with the mods. My game is working fine still.

Message 4 of 9 (6,291 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@RouenSims I haven't added any new mods in ages (other than updating old ones). It seems like this file was added after the latest patch update. If it's like the localthumbcache.package then it's something the game created for storing certain data for quicker retrieval when it needs it. You might want to keep an eye on that file in case you need to move it back out of your Mods folder, or if the game auto-generates a new one and then you have two! 

aang spirit2.JPG

Let's ask Avatar Aang if he knows what the avatarcache.package file is for!

(Just kidding!!!)

Message 5 of 9 (6,282 Views)

EA Sims Team

Hello.

Just letting you know that avatarcache.package was introduced in the recent patch (version 1.65.70) in order to attempt to fix this bug:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Sims-4-keeps-crashing-when-accessing-the-Gallery/td-p...

avatarcache.package stores the user avatar images that are automatically downloaded when you browse the Gallery.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 6 of 9 (6,226 Views)

★ Guide

Is it ok to delete like localthumbcache.pkg file or not?

Message 7 of 9 (6,201 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@procian wrote:

Is it ok to delete like localthumbcache.pkg file or not?

Yes the localthumbcache.pkg file is temporary and can be deleted.
A fresh new one will be created next time you play.

Edit: Just realized you asked about the other cache file. 

It too is temporary. I have deleted it as well and it too will be recreated when you play next time.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 8 of 9 (6,084 Views)

EA Sims Team

I think EuphorialQueen is correct. 

I should add, though, that I don't recommend deleting files like localthumbcache or avatarcache unless you're troubleshooting issues or want to start fresh, because deleting them just means the game has to download/generate those avatars and thumbnails again.

If for some reason cache files like that are causing issues, that would likely be a bug.

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 9 of 9 (5,985 Views)