My thought on the Goth refresh.

by RavenLure

Original Post

Re: First overhaul of Sims is disaster and here's why:

★★★★ Guide

@PugLove888 Admittedly I'm a very negative person, but I figured hey if I don't like them as the Goths then I'll rename them and use them as a different family. I know others will probably say things like "that's not the Goth family" or "I'd rather have the original", which were my exact thoughts at first lol, but instead of being negative about it I figured I'd put them into my current game and just have them be a new family in town.

I don't know if it will work going from Xbox to other platforms, admittedly I'm not very familiar with how the Gallery works, but if anyone wants the original base game version of the Goths I shared mine that I have in my Gallery. I've done absolutely nothing to them at all other than adding "(original)" to the name so that I know it's the old vanilla version. Just search for "Goth (original)" and you'll hopefully find it. I'm sure others have uploaded original versions as well, so even if you don't find or use mine you should be able to find an original version.

Message 31 of 53 (581 Views)

Champion

@valohim666 , while I figured I could find them somewhere on the Gallery, I went ahead and looked for your upload of them and downloaded them!  Thanks! 😃

I do have some old Save game files that have the originals in them, but they will eventually age and die unless I play them.  I do have my original save file of my playing only them, but I let them age because I didn't know one day that version would be gone!  So it is always good to have back up! 😅

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 32 of 53 (577 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@PugLove888 I figured there would be others on there as well, but a lot of times it seems there's no way of knowing what has been done to things on the Gallery (unless the uploader specifically says) so I didn't want to spend a lot of time browsing for one that was actually vanilla originals. I probably should edit my upload somewhere to say that it is indeed an untouched version, because I'm sure some people that will be looking will want a version that hasn't been edited.

I'm just glad that I'm the type of person that disables auto updates whenever I can, because if I didn't I wouldn't have had the backup of the original version. I had actually started a new game just to see the new version, only to find that because I hadn't done the Sims Delivery update I still had the old version lol. So I took full advantage of that and made a copy of the older version, especially since it was on a brand new save since it meant no aging or anything had been done to them yet. I definitely wasn't going to backup the version in my current save since not only has Mortimer died of old age, but the neighborhood stories also decided really early into the save that the Goths needed a bunch of kids so they had three more and adopted one as well.

Message 33 of 53 (569 Views)

Champion

@valohim666 , yes you might want to put that info in that this is an untouched old Goth family! I'm just glad you saved it so you (and I) didn't have to go searching! 

I'm cracking up that you meant to try out the new versions but hadn't enabled the Delivery yet! Sounds like something I would do! 😂🤪🥰

Message 34 of 53 (558 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@PugLove888 Not sure if it will stay at the top or not, though I guess it will as long as no one leaves comments lol, but I did add a comment saying that it's an unedited base game version straight out of a new save.

It was hilarious when it happened. As soon as I went to look at the Goths and I saw the old version, it was just one of those facepalm type of moments and I quickly realized I needed to update. 

Oh and by the way I just had the new version of Mortimer walk past my sims' house, and while I didn't see it before the first thing that came to mind was the resemblance to Vincent Price. Makes me wish I renamed the family to Price, with Mortimer being renamed Vincent.

Message 35 of 53 (553 Views)

Champion

@valohim666 , Now I can't wait to see the new Mortimer "in the wild"! 🤣  My parents used to watch the show "Mystery" and he was a host of it for some time!  Love him! 😀

I have to say, I do love Mortimer's new outfit! 😍 But the old one was so recognizable! 😄

Message 36 of 53 (547 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@PugLove888 Mortimer is the one new Goth I like the most, admittedly it's mostly because he reminds me so much of Vincent Price lol. My dad used to show me a lot of old movies and TV shows, so I've seen him in quite a few things. Plus I'll always remember him for his part in Michael Jackson's song Thriller, and as Egghead in the old 60's Batman show.

Yeah completely agree with you. I think the new Mortimer is the one that I almost want to like more than the original, but yeah like you said the old is so recognizable though I think for me having played since 2016 I think it's only natural that the originals are going to stand out more.

Message 37 of 53 (511 Views)

Champion

@valohim666 Yes, I've seen some very old movies of Vincent (back when he had dark hair and looked even more like Mortimer) and I didn't recognize him at first until he spoke, and then it was unmistakable that it was him!  That movie was Song of Bernadette. 😇
I had the Thriller album when I was young and was so excited, he had a spoken part on the title song!  It's been about 40 years but I still can recite all of Vincent's lines, copying his rhythm and intonation! 😂
I had forgotten that he was in the Batman TV series!  But that is probably where I first was introduced to him because my older brothers always watched that show! 
He also had a part in The Brady Bunch as Professor Whitehead who wanted the tiki they found! 🤣
And then he was briefly in one of my favorite movies, Edward Scissorhands! 🥰

I understand!  I started TS4 when it came out, which isn't that much longer than when you started, so I have grown accustomed to original Goths as well.  Even though I like a lot of what they did with the new version, it is very hard for me to see these "interlopers" as the TS4 Goths Wink😂  I do appreciate that their skin tone looks more like TS1 and TS2 Goths.  It is just odd to have such a revamp of actual facial features in the same game! I would much rather they fix the skin tones, give them Hot and Cold outfits, and give them some likes/dislikes. I mean, they all seem to love black, red, white, and gray! 🤣

Message 38 of 53 (505 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@PugLove888 I ended up listening to Thriller (the song, not the album) right after my initial post mentioning Vincent because that was one of the first things that came to mind. It was quite depressing on so many levels, though luckily just the awesomeness of the song helped counteract some of the bad feelings.

I had forgotten about him being in the Batman series too until I went back to look up things I was familiar with that he was in. Never knew he was in The Brady Bunch, though to be fair that's not something I ever watched.

I can appreciate the attempt to try and update the Goths, but yeah to go so long with the same looks and then suddenly change them seems odd to me especially since the looks are about all that they changed. I'm sure there are some out there that maybe didn't like the older look and will see the new versions as the Goths, but I'm sure there are even more people that are just so used to them looking a certain way that there's no way they can see that as the Goths. I too like some of what they changed, which is why I renamed them and put them in as an entirely new family, but to replace the originals seems wrong and they really need to give an option for which version people want to use when starting a new game.

By the way, is it just me or is there some resemblance to the Sims 3 version of Bella in the updated version? I feel like around the eyes it looks a little like Sims 3 Bella, then again it could just be me lol.

Message 39 of 53 (494 Views)

Champion

@valohim666 , some are going to prefer Goths 2.0 and others are going to prefer Goths 1.0. 😉 To me, I always think of the Sims 1 Goths with Sims 2 Alexander, since he hadn't been born yet in TS1!  Even if Ilike other versions of the Goths, the first iteration will always be cannon to me !   However, it is much easier to accept a new version of the Goths in a new version of the game.  Since we are still playing TS4, the newer Goths will be harder to get used to! 

I'm sorry the song touched on depression for you! 😭 It is an excellent song, and was quite the big deal when it was made. (It erroneously has been called the first horror video -- I don't know which one was actually the first, but I know of one that was made earlier!) 

The Brady Bunch storyline that Vincent was in was only a 3 parter (and I can't remember if he was in the first part or not).  

I'm not sure about TS3 Bella.  I'm not a fan of TS3 (though I loved the CASt color and pattern tool and a few other things). Even when I took my CC/mods out it was still so laggy and often crashed.  Didn't like the open world because there was never anyone in it by the time my Sim traveled to that location. Anyway, every time I think of TS3 Bella and Mortimer, I just think of them as kids. i know I aged them up at some point, but they never seemed like the real Bella and Mortimer to me once I did that. 😥 So you very well might be right on the eyes, but I can't remember other that her eyes as a little girl. 🤷‍♀️

Message 40 of 53 (730 Views)