Re: My sims heads are disappearing in CAS

by RandomBuzziness

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

I'm playing on PC and yes I tried those steps in a new save. I'm playing the standard version.

Message 11 of 16 (732 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@kdollasignnnn I'm currently discussing with some of the other helpers on suggestions for what you can try next. What is currently in your Mods folder? All you should have in there is a Resource.cfg file and no .package or .ts4script files. Is this correct?

Message 12 of 16 (704 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yes, only the resource.cfg file is in the mods folder.

Message 13 of 16 (701 Views)

★★★ Expert

@kdollasignnnn Ok thanks for clarifying that. I wanted to be sure all mods and CC were out of your user folder before we move on to the next steps. It sounds like even after you repaired your game through Origin that there is a missing or corrupt file in your Sims 4 system files, probably as a result of an incomplete patch install. This is fairly common and a Repair usually fixes it, but occasionally it does not work the first time.

If you want you can try running the Repair one more time. It might not work so that's up to you if you'd like to try it before we move on.

The next step is a little more involved but we'll go through it step-by-step and you should not have any trouble doing it. Please do the following in this order:

- Move your entire Sims 4 folder out of your documents folder and on to your Desktop
- Next, clear your Origin cache. This can help fix a variety of problems, including issues like you are seeing in your game. Here is a link for instructions on how to do this:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

- When you are done, Restart your computer
- Next, log in to Origin and run the Repair again. It's possible that the Repair was not working properly the last time you tried it due to issues with your Origin cache. That should be fine now.
- When the Repair is finished, launch the game. This will generate all new Sims 4 user folders in your documents folders. Do not add anything into these folders for now, we want them to look like a brand-new game (you'll be able to import your old user files later).

- When the game loads you should get the pop-up window asking you if you are new to The Sims 4 and would like to play the Tutorial.

Please let us know if you do or do not get the option to play the Tutorial and we'll proceed from there. If the Tutorial option pops up you can skip the Tutorial if you prefer, we just want to see if it pops up. This will tell us if your game is running on a new clean user folder. Start a new game and play around a bit to see if everything looks good again.

Please let us know if all this works and please do ask any questions on any part of this process. Good luck :D

Message 14 of 16 (665 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Thank you so much! The tutorial did show up, and my game is working back normal! The sims are now visible! I'm not sure if its okay for me to add my old user files back and my mods folder or not?

Message 15 of 16 (653 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@kdollasignnnn That's great to hear! You will be able to import all of your old files from the user folders you moved to your Desktop when the time is right, but first now would be a good time to figure out what was causing your Sims to be headless in the first place. You should use a new save for testing this rather than importing any of your old saves (for now).

The most likely cause of your headless Sims is an outdated mod or CC file. You'll have to test these by installing them in your game one at a time until the problem comes back. Start with testing your CC first as it seems like that is more likely the cause. You'll have to enable them again in your game options as well. If you have a lot of CC files you can try the 50-50 method where you install half of your CC at a time and test in your game. When you find which half the bad file is in you can split it in half again and test as before & keep repeating until the number of files to test is manageable enough to test them individually. When the problem comes back in your game then you'll know the bad file is somewhere in that batch. Makes sure to delete the localthumbcache.package file in between each step of testing to make sure the bad data does not get stored in your game cache and confusing the testing results. 

If you are using any kind of CC default skin or eye replacements, or CC skin overlays you might want to skip to testing those first. It sort of sounds like something like that could be causing your headless Sims problem. If you are using more than one skin overlay or non-default eye replacements you might even have more than one bad file in there. Once you have positively identified the bad CC file or files you should permanently delete them from your game and find new updated versions. Make sure to fully test these new replacements in your game and you are certain they are not causing any issues. Here is a link on more information on which CC eye replacements were broken by recent game patches (you'll also be able to find updated replacements there).

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/976565/broken-updated-mods-cc-june-20-eco-lifestyle-patc...

If you go through all of your CC files and they all look good you can repeat the tests for any script or tuning mods you might have.

Finally, when all this is done and your game looks great with all of your new mods and CC then you can import the contents of your old Saves and Tray folders and get back to enjoying your game :D 

Yeah all this seems like a lot of work but unfortunately there is always some risk involved when using mods and CC (this is why many players choose not to use them). I have lots of mods and CC in my game. Make sure to keep everything updated as possible whenever there is a new game patch release-- especially with any mods you use. Make sure to find and remove any bad CC from your game as soon as you see it. Make sure to delete the localthumbcache.package file any time you make any changes in your Mods folder. 

Like before, please do ask if you have any questions. Good luck & have fun :D 

Message 16 of 16 (619 Views)