My Mac died, wondering if bf's cheap laptop could run the game?

by adduapina

Original Post

Accepted Solution

My Mac died, wondering if bf's cheap laptop could run the game?

★★★ Guide

I have been playing TS for over 20 years. Last week it came to an end - at least for a while - since my Macbook decided to give up after 8 years of faithful service :'( Now I'm suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms (jk, jk - not that severe) and have been trying to figure out if there would be any sense in even trying to install the game on my bf's Asus E410MA. Sadly I don't know how to compare processors/graphic cards etc and haven't been able to find an answer by googling (techie language is hard!). 

So this Asus feels like a toy and I'm guessing it won't be able to run the game, but thought I _need_ to ask to be sure. I am having difficulties rn with finding all the info here now that I haven't had to use windows for the past 8 yrs, but here's what I got (if more info needed pls provide way to find it in your comment <3):

Processor; Intel Celeron N4020 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.10 GHz

Graphic Card: Intel UHD Graphics 600

RAM 4GB

I really want to play, but can't afford a new computer at all atm. Any advice/tips on affordable machines (or how I could compare the specs myself?) that run TS4 are more than welcome for the future! I really wish I could get another macbook, but since they're so pricey I most likely need to settle for something else.

Thank you in advance if you have the time to help me figure this out!

Message 1 of 3 (331 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: My Mac died, wondering if bf's cheap laptop could run the game?

@adduapina  I'm sorry to hear your Mac died.  (I'd be pretty devastated too.)  Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get very good results from your boyfriend's laptop.  Its processor and graphics chip are both below the game's minimum requirements, and the memory is technically sufficient but in reality not enough for anywhere near the whole game.

If I had to guess, I'd say you could probably run the base game and some early expansions, but the EPs starting with Cats & Dogs might run poorly or not at all.  Even the newest game packs might be a problem; stuff packs should be fine.

As for a new laptop, the available options depend on how much you're willing to spend.  As an example, this one is $500 and should be able to run the entire game on medium or medium-high settings:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laptop-15t-dw300-touch-optional-1b9n3av-1

The market changes quickly as stock turns over, but there are always a few models like this for around the same price.  You could save a little money by getting an older model processor (still in a new laptop, just hardware released a year or two ago).  However, below $400-450, depending on sales, the quality drops off dramatically, and you'd be looking at something similar to your boyfriend's laptop.

Whenever you're ready to buy, feel free to ask for advice.  Just list your budget and country, as well as any other details that matter to you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (310 Views)

All Replies

@adduapina  I'm sorry to hear your Mac died.  (I'd be pretty devastated too.)  Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get very good results from your boyfriend's laptop.  Its processor and graphics chip are both below the game's minimum requirements, and the memory is technically sufficient but in reality not enough for anywhere near the whole game.

If I had to guess, I'd say you could probably run the base game and some early expansions, but the EPs starting with Cats & Dogs might run poorly or not at all.  Even the newest game packs might be a problem; stuff packs should be fine.

As for a new laptop, the available options depend on how much you're willing to spend.  As an example, this one is $500 and should be able to run the entire game on medium or medium-high settings:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laptop-15t-dw300-touch-optional-1b9n3av-1

The market changes quickly as stock turns over, but there are always a few models like this for around the same price.  You could save a little money by getting an older model processor (still in a new laptop, just hardware released a year or two ago).  However, below $400-450, depending on sales, the quality drops off dramatically, and you'd be looking at something similar to your boyfriend's laptop.

Whenever you're ready to buy, feel free to ask for advice.  Just list your budget and country, as well as any other details that matter to you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (311 Views)

★★★ Guide
@puzzlezaddict You are truly worthy for the title of a Hero. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me! ♡
Message 3 of 3 (278 Views)