Moving created Sims in one at a time (played)

by Sapphir567

Original Post

Moving created Sims in one at a time (played)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I created 3 Sim households. I initially moved them into empty lots and then subsequently evicted them - they didn’t interact at all (I wanted to place custom lots there - Newcrest - I realized I did things a bit backwards). They are now in Manage Households. I just placed lots from the gallery and was wondering - if I was to move only one in, would they interact with the other Sims I evicted that don’t live anywhere?  

When I moved the second in, the first actually came over to visit but they didn’t interact (the game was on pause and he was just there). I subsequently evicted them both so I could place the lots.

Long story short, I just want to move one in and not have the others appear at their door to greet them or jogging or at a bar or something in their world or another and become NPC or townies.  If you evict a Sim will they show up anywhere in-game or do they have to be “moved in”? I also have them saved to "My Gallery" and if I were to delete them I would go into CAS from Manage Households beforehand (by clicking on the pen) and click on the folder to just save another copy. 

Is "My Gallery" like the cloud? Is it just always there?  I know I created a Sim and had to uninstall the game due to an error and when I reinstalled she was still there exactly where I left her.  Nothing gets deleted from My Gallery unless I do it myself, correct?

I also was told something about the Tray folder? I know that's where I put my cc lots, but I heard that the Sims are stored here, too.  I back up my Sims 4 folder to an external hard drive every day so I'm not sure what I would do here.

Message 1 of 9 (1,007 Views)

Re: Moving created Sims in one at a time (played)

★ Guide

@Sapphir567 Hi, yeah if you evict them they will be in the world, so they might appear as a NPC somewhere.  Once you save sims in your gallery library they will stay there unless you delete them.  Yes sims are stored in the tray folder if you were to download one they would appear in your gallery.  All cc items from the sim goes into your mods folder.  So when you go to cas, they will be like you downloaded them with everything included.  ie clothing, makeup, jewellery, hair.  

Message 2 of 9 (1,003 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So I can delete these Sim families from Manage Households and then move them in later by going to my gallery/library, just as if I were placing a lot? I think that may be the only way they wouldn't show up as NPC. I just don't want to lose everything.

Message 3 of 9 (992 Views)

★★ Guide
@Sapphir567 You do have to save them in your library if they were not already saved when you originally made them. Of course, if you saved them before playing them, they'll start over new when you place them.

If you don't want to lose what you've accomplished with them, then place them back in a lot somewhere and *then* save them to your library (in CAS there's a button to do that.)
Message 4 of 9 (985 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@Sapphir567

Ok, That's a lot of questions so let's get to it...

First, almost all sims in the world (your loaded save) will be in Manage Households. Either under the My Households tab or Other Households, whether they are living on a lot or not. There are a few "hidden" sims that may show up in the world and not be in Manage Households, but the majority of the time you don't have to worry about those.

When you click on the Gallery button, the "My Library" tab is also sometimes called your "Tray" for some reason. Mainly because the folder on your hard drive where they are stored is named "Tray". These houses, rooms, and sims, are NOT in any of your worlds/saves. They are a copy of those things that you can drop into your saved games.  The "Gallery" tab is for searching for other player's houses, rooms, and sims. If you want to share your sims or houses on the gallery, just go to the "My Library" tab, open the house up there and share it by clicking on "Share to the Gallery".

If you have sims in Manage Households that aren't living in a house, you can still encounter them in the world, either walking down the street or visiting a community lot. There's just no home lot for them. Although the game can move them into empty houses occasionally.

You can create sims all you want and not move them into houses if you don't want to. But anyone you've created or exists in Manage Households may be randomly encountered on the street or community lots. If you evict a household, they will still be in the world and still may be randomly encountered as I mentioned. The only way to NOT encounter them would be to delete them completely from Manage Households.

If you create sims or a house and save it to "My Library", you are just saving a copy of them outside your current game. That way you can start an entirely new game and place those sims and lots back into the new world.  One thing to remember about the Library, if you have a SimA that lives in say Newcrest and falls in love with a SimB that lives in Willow Creek, and you save SimA to your Library, they will lose that relationship if you place them from the library into a new game. However if both are in the same household, they will remember each other just fine. They just don't remember relationships with sims in other households.

"My Library" is strictly on your computer only, unless you've opened something and clicked on "Share to Gallery".  You can see what you've shared to the world by clicking on the tab with your player ID "Sapphir567". If you've shared something from My Library, it'll appear on your player ID tab and on the Gallery. But if you delete it from My Library, it'll be deleted from everywhere else also.

You can share anything you want on the gallery, but remember, if you used CC on those sims/lots, the other players will likely not have that CC and the sim/house will be incomplete and missing things.

ThePsycho

Accept as Solution button - If a post answers your question please let everyone know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 5 of 9 (976 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So, long story short, let's say I do encounter them walking down the street or at the club or gym and they're talking to my Sim or the NPCs (believe it or not, the game moved them in for me, I had to evict them, then it automatically put them in another empty house, I evicted them again). When I move them in, since I don't want them to have any sort of prior relationships or interactions with anyone else, I would move in the copies of these households from My Library. They would replace the ones that are currently in Managed Households and it would be like starting with a clean slate. 

I always back up my Tray folder to an external hard drive whenever I exit the game, so in case anything happened to My Library I can always put the folder back and they will be there.  Or if they are already moved in and in the game and something were to happen, they would still be in the same places after I uninstalled/reinstalled and I would just have to save them to My Library again in CAS.  I had to do this once before - apparently the moved-in households and base elements of the game stay put - it must be saved on the online server.

Message 6 of 9 (951 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Sapphir567

Unfortunately you can't stop sims from having relationships with each other or having the game move them into an empty house.

Well, there ARE things you can do... like create your own townies and fill up the empty houses so the game has nowhere to move sims into.

Another thing you can do is install the MCCC mod. With that you can control things like having the game automatically move homeless sims into houses and turn that off completely.

But stopping sims from talking to each other? I've never heard of that and don't think that's possible.

If you just want to have your sims a "clean slate" as you put it, but only at the beginning of the game, one thing you can do is set up a "template" save. I've been doing that for years. It's my favorite way to play.

Basically what you do is start a new game but play it as little as possible. Set up EVERYTHING. Build houses, create townies, fill up all the lots in Newcrest, set up community lots in all towns, set up relationships, (or lack thereof) Design the entire world to be JUST how you like it. Then save it and NEVER play it. Name it like "Starter Game" or "Starter Template".

Whenever you want to start a new game, load up the Starter Template and immediately do a SaveAs and give it a new name. This way you have a brand-new world already set up exactly how you like it.

Mine is filled with all my favorite townies I've played in the past, famous actors and actresses, characters I love, houses I've built in the past, etc. It's a hoot to play a new game and see Miranda from Mass Effect try to romance Elsa from Frozen. Lol.

It never hurts to have a backup, but personally, I've never had my mods, tray, or saves folder get corrupted or messed up.

Remember, your Library is separate from your played game. Sims in Manage worlds, the placed houses and lots, everything in your played world is saved in your Save file. That has nothing to do with your "Tray" folder. You can backup, restore, and even completely delete your Tray folder and it'll have no bearing upon what's in your saved game. (I wouldn't recommend deleting your tray folder though) It's also NOT saved on-line either. Nothing is saved online. Nothing. Even things shared to the gallery from your Library will get removed if you remove them from your library.
Message 7 of 9 (941 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I was actually able to go into gameplay settings and uncheck the box for the game to autofill empty houses. So I don't have to worry about that anymore.

So when I actually want to move them in, using copies of the Sims I had saved in CAS that are in My Library instead of the ones in Managed Households wouldn't work? Those library Sims don't have relationships with anyone.

See, what I don't want happening are some of those autonomous unmentionable things - I have the game set up where these interactions do affect relationships. It's not the talking that concerns me so much as that, as well as the romance bar, but is my understanding that if NPCs talk to other NPCs they may form friendships but not romantic relationships. And if they interact with a live Sim I am playing, I can control whether or not my Sim talks to them at all.

The method you are describing is a bit complicated and I'm not sure I completely understand it. I do have a Sim in Willow and another in Oasis and I don't want to get rid of them - I want them in the same save as the Sims I want to put into Newcrest. I know if I were to save the Willow and Oasis households to my library via CAS all their relationships would be preserved. I've played them extensively and saving them would basically put them in suspended animation. I'm not finished creating outfits for my new Sims and I know I can only do that through CAS with them in managed households, so if I were to keep saving them to my library after every change I make, whatever relationships they made as NPCs would save along with them.

When I did have the game refuse to open and freeze up (when I first started) I uninstalled and reinstalled and everything was there exactly as it was. I use the game through Steam. I mean, it wouldn't make sense for everything to be wiped clean if someone needed to do this or even if they were to get a new computer. And anyway, I've been copying my entire Sims 4 folder onto an external hard drive after every game so I could just copy those in and never lose anything.

Message 8 of 9 (935 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Sapphir567

I use the "template" method because every time I started a new game, Newcrest is always empty and I have to place lots, create townies to put in them, place the community lots, it takes a lot of time to do all that EVERY time I start a new game. I got tired of that so I created the template method. Now, every time I start a new game (by loading my template and SaveAs), Newcrest is already all populated, all my favorite townies are already there, ready to go.

It takes time to set up, but once you take the time and get it perfect, you never have to do all that again.

Sure, you can use your library for that, that's what it's there for anyway. You create your favorite sims and upload them to your library. You can then place them whenever you want, in whatever save you want. They just won't know anyone outside that household.

It's just an extra step I don't care to do. I just load the template, do a SaveAs and everyone's already there. I don't have to place anyone or any lots because it's already done.

Let me see if I can explain the relationship thing. Let's say you have four sims. Two in household 1, and two in household 2. If you upload both households to your library, the two sims in household 1 will remember each other, but neither of them will remember the sims in household 2.

I just tested this. I created a married couple. Split them into separate households and uploaded both to my library. I then deleted them from Manage households and re-downloaded them from my library. They were no longer married and didn't even know each other.

Saving a household to your library will only keep their relationships with other sims in that same household. All other relationships with sims outside that household will be removed once you place them from your library again.
Message 9 of 9 (921 Views)