Re: Minimal Specs for Excellent TS4 Performance

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Minimal Specs for Excellent TS4 Performance

★ Novice

Hello,

I’m trying to build a PC for my girlfriend who is an avid TS4 player. Her Alienware laptop specs just don’t seem to be keeping up with the newer updates. She’s constantly lowering the settings to compensate and it’s beginning to frustrate her. I’m looking to create a PC that can handle all the expansion packs, tons of CC, and tons of mods while maintaining ultra graphics and other settings at maximum smoothly. It should be able to handle anything that TS4 could possible throw at her today or in the future. Since she only plays TS games I won’t have to worry about accommodating for other big games. I also don’t foresee the PC operating with monitor resolutions above 1080p.

The basics I’ve gathered from tons of similar posts are I should be shooting for 16+ gb RAM, 256+ gb SSD, and a 10th Gen i5 CPU. If one of those is insufficient please let me know.

The part that seems to be troubling me is the graphics card. There seems to be a bunch of over/underkill options out there. I’m on a budget so I’m looking for a range of cards that could fit my criteria as mentioned above, focusing on the best bang for my buck. I understand we are in the middle of a shortage, but as it starts to subside I’m looking to scope out a card. Having a place to start would be great!

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4 (260 Views)

Community Manager

@Samuelf111 

There are plenty of GPUs in the middle bracket that should not be too difficult to buy. 

I am thinking along the lines of a 1650 or 1660 NVIDIA card.

Here are the recommended specs for reference:

RECOMMENDED SPECS:
PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 or faster, AMD Athlon X4
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
MEMORY: 4 GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: 18 GB of Hard Drive space

barry.png
Message 2 of 4 (236 Views)

★ Novice
@EA_Barry After taking a look at her laptop it shows she has a GTX1060. The 1650 and 1660 you mentioned look like great options but their passmark scores are generally the same. Is there something about these cards that will help it jump to maximum TS4 settings?
Message 3 of 4 (215 Views)

@Samuelf111  If you're building a desktop, a 1650 Super should be more than sufficient, and a 1660 of any kind a bit of overkill, not that that's a bad thing.  The cheapest Radeon 5000 or 6000 card you can find would also be more than fine.

A laptop with a 1060 should be able to run Sims 4 on ultra graphics settings though.  It sounds like something else may be going on with your girlfriend's computer.  Has she checked the internal temperatures while she plays?  If the CPU is overheating and throttling, turning down graphics settings without capping fps would actually make things worse: the more draw calls per second the CPU receives, the higher its load.  There are plenty of free monitoring apps you could use; I like hwinfo because it picks up everything and is very lightweight.

It's also possible that the game engine is the problem and not the hardware.  Mods and custom content can make Sims 4 a lot more demanding, as can having a long-running save with many played households.  I've seen such saves run poorly on much better hardware without coming close to maxing out that hardware because the game engine itself can't keep up.

An easy test would be to have your girlfriend play a new save in a clean user data folder, as in, move the entire Sims 4 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and let the game create a new one.  (These folders can be swapped back and forth.)  If a new save runs much better than the current ones, then you'll know the issue isn't really the laptop itself.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (207 Views)