Re: Lot Taxes Too High!!

by KenzaZo

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@PsychotpsIt's kind of. You can actually travel there and steal everything back.

I've found another bug. You can actually go over the household funds cap.

1. Make sure you have more than one Sim in your household.

2. Amasse the household funds cap (easy with perfect Dragon Fruit plantation).

3. Split your household and send a Sim out (except the gardener/money maker) with most of the funds (I actually sent it with it all). Don't move it into any lot, leave it off worlds.

4. With your money maker/gardener (original household), amasse the household funds cap again.

5. Send another Sim out with most of the funds. DON'T merge it with the Sim you already sent off. Leave each of them in a separate household. Repeat the previous steps as many as you can (7 is the best).

6. When you're done sending Sims off with all your funds, amasse the funds cap once more.

7. Start merging the households with the Sims you sent off back.

When there's no Sim left in a household the game transfers all the funds to the merged household, even above the cap.

Message 31 of 42 (1,385 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@MrKurausu I'd be careful testing things like that. Depending on what data type the variable they use to hold the money is, and what error checking (or lack thereof) they have, you could cause the variable to memory-overload. You'd get all KINDS of weird things happen then. Likely corrupt and crash your game.
Message 32 of 42 (1,361 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Psychotps It's not a problem so far. I just discovered this bug, and it's not harmful so far. The thing is that the next thing you buy will cap your funds again to $9,999,999. But if you use to buy a lot evaluated over 10kk this should work just fine.
Message 33 of 42 (1,350 Views)

★ Novice

Yeah they need to stop being rude. Trying to buy better appliances so my sim can live better but I have to pay double for. I’m playing this game to get AWAY from real life problems. Now I’m just pissed.

Message 34 of 42 (1,300 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Josulyhar Get that Aspiration reward (Shrewd) that gives you money depending on how much you have in your bank each week, it quickly adds up and you can have multiple household members have it. I have only been playing since April and have almost $80 Million...My Taxes on mansion are about $400 k a week.
Message 35 of 42 (1,291 Views)

★★★ Guide

I have been slightly annoyed to have to pay over 100,000 Simoleans for "lot taxes" every time bills are delivered.  I can pay these bills, but that's not the point.  In the real world we pay property tax "ONCE A YEAR:" not every month.  The game should be updated to only require lot taxes once per year (4 seasons passing).  That's my suggestion.  With "Eco Lifestyles." I was hoping to lower my monthly bills...but that utility bill was less than 2,000 for water and electricity each time bills were delivered.  The 100K lot taxes defeats any savings made through environmentalism 

Message 36 of 42 (1,089 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@Josulyhar  So, I don't know if this helps or not, but...

I think the designers assume you get a single Sim or couple or small family and move them into a starter home and build their way up to that amazing, awesome lot. 

That said, I recently, for a self-designed challenge, gave Vlad a wife and children and started playing them on Vlad's lot.  He has a lot of really expensive items so his bills are around $4k, and I decided Vlad and his wife would not have jobs and would be stay-at-home parents. 

So, what I'm doing for money:  Vlad comes with a really high pipe organ level, so I immediately had him write a pipe organ song and license it, and then mentor his wife on the pipe organ.  You can re-license songs forever, but only for one instrument at a time, so after they started getting pipe organ song money he started in on piano because he already owns a piano.  Vlad doesn't sleep much and has all the vampire Child of the Moon bonuses to skill gains, so he was quickly able to learn every instrument and write and license songs for all of them.  His wife isn't the speed demon he is, but she's also writing and licensing songs. 

In the early days, I would also have them go to nightclubs and play for tips, which isn't an amazing amount of money but helps.  If you're level 10 you get like $10 or $12 per Sim who tips you, so he wrote his piano song in public and got paid for it.

His wife got into high-end gardening in that covered balcony area and that's also regular income.  If you have City Living and go to the Romance Festival, there are also high-end plants there you can harvest and plant at home. (If this is for money, don't waste your time with veggies, especially if you're playing vampires.  Roses and dragonfruit and Birds of Paradise and Orchids.  If you have a roof over them they'll grow year-round.  Veggies are amazing for cooking and the Simple Living lot challenge, but we're talking about filthy lucre.)

They both then got into painting and Vlad has started writing books, because you can have so many of those that they scroll off the screen but you only get royalties for 30 days for those, so we're still relicensing our songs continuously. 

So, at the moment they can easily afford their $4K a week bills and Vlad is a 4 star celebrity (ROTFL).  His wife is a 3 star celebrity. 

So, yeah, your Sims will need income, and some ways are better to get it than others.  Starting a career at level 1 is probably the worst, alas.  You might want to put your Sim in University, if you have that pack, so they can start at a higher level, but it still won't compare to licensing songs, painting, and writing over time.  Also, the freelancer careers pay pretty well, and if you're industrious you can ramp up pretty fast. 

Good luck!

Edited to add:  However, the single most lucrative activity in the game, hands-down, is to be a spellcaster and dumpster dive for deals.  You'll get a lot of really expensive items that you can Repario and sell.  My teen caster became a Virtuoso almost exclusively from this and Scruberoo-ing himself afterwards. 

Also, other people have mentioned Frugal and the Shrewd reward trait, but if you're going to sell things I would also suggest Marketable, and also the Home Studio home lot trait, and Creative Visionary if you're doing creative things for money.  Also, bathtubs on the woodworking table are pretty lucrative.  With Get Famous, the tree starting with Noticeable is the one you want so you can get Established Name, which makes your songs/books/paintings/other created items worth more money.  My Super Sim has this and once sold a single painting for $20K.

(As for getting around the money limit, I have fake businesses/"vacation homes" and dump funds into those.)

Message 37 of 42 (1,080 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

My lot taxes were about 64k until I cheated the power consumption and water consumption. Suddenly my lot taxes shut up to around 1.8 to 2.2 million.

A roommate would have to pay $180,000 a month to stay at my place. And I just got the college expansion...... Fml

I'm going to move to another lot soon and make sure I don't cheat the utilities to see if things go back to normal.

Message 38 of 42 (994 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have the same problem. I've played since 2000 (Sims 1) and never had trouble paying my bills so I decided to focus on self-care and wellness this time around so I bought a lot at the beach in the wedding EP world, and built her a nice house with plenty of beach for her yoga and meditation classes and she was getting $4000 bills. I had her upgrade everything in the home to conserve energy/water/fuel and she's still getting 5K to 6K bills every few days, so finally I looked at the bill break down and she's got $5000 alone in lot taxes. WTAF??? Why? She only makes a few hundred a day from her yoga classes. I just had her start making candles so she can sell them at a yard sale or on plopsy, but that doesn't justify 5K lot taxes. Am I not allowed to grow my own food as well? because I learned that this tax is also based off your inventory. Well, I have some chickens and a lot of produce growing in my beach. Are you no longer allowed to combine multiple concepts? This is ridiculous. Is there a cheat to lower the taxes?

Message 39 of 42 (879 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@LoganIsSleepy I'm not aware of a cheat to lower taxes, but there are money cheats. Please also read through the posts in this thread to collect some ideas to potentially address ways to lower the taxes in your lot and to raise the income of the household to pay these taxes. 

Here are some money cheats, if you want to make use of any of these:

Money cheats are a way to get funds to move into a lot, to recover funds lost due to a bug, to regain funds after being moved to the library and back into a new save, etc.
With your lot open, press Shift+Control+C to open the cheat console box (upper left of your screen):
• Type Motherlode then press enter for every $50,000 simoleons your sim needs.
• Type rosebud or kaching then press enter for $1,000 simoleons.
• Enter freerealestate on or freerealestate off to enable or disable free homes.
 Money cheat set exact funds:
Money 100 sets at 100 Simoleons
Money 000 sets to Zero

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 40 of 42 (832 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help