Re: Lights wont turn on

by SheriGR

Original Post

Lights wont turn on

★★★ Novice

I moved to a new house and electric lights wont turn on. The power is on, tv etc work fine. Off-grid lights work. I moved them and the new house lights work. I deleted their real house and placed it again from file and moved them back in. I've turned all lights on/off, bought new lights and nothing works. They turned on one night and I thought it was fixed but its back to not turning on day or night. I dont use any Mods.

Message 1 of 4 (21,764 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@springelf165 Did you check the lot traits? Please check if the lot is set to "Off The Grid". A lot from the gallery or that you made can come with lot traits already assigned, or certain of the Maxis/default lots come with Lot Traits already assigned. For instance 'Admiral's Wreckage' in Sulani, but this lot trait can be removed. If the lot has the 'Off the Grid' trait only the off-the-grid lights will work (or if the Sim didn't pay the light bill the lights won't work - except the off-the-grid ones):
Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 1.59.45 PM.png

If that's not the issue, do you have CC?

Are you placing these homes from your library? If you download another build from the gallery (one without CC) and place it from your library to the same lot, does this happen?

Do you have the Eco Lifestyle pack and any of the items from it that have the ability to generate power?

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 4 (21,710 Views)

★★★★ Expert

(Theoretically)

If your house is "off-the-grid", then you'll need to generate power somehow before electric lights will work. You can tell if your power is good by clicking on your mailbox and selecting "Show Bills Information". The Power meter on the right has to be greater than 0 before lights will work. You'll want to set both power and water to "Store" and not "Auto-sell". If you have it set to the default of auto sell, your stored power will keep resetting back to 0 whenever you pay your bills... and thus making your lights turn off.

But if your TV is working and lights don't, I'm not sure. Try clicking on any powered light and selecting "Auto Lights" and then clicking on "All Lights".

But just because you may have a solar or wind generators, doesn't mean you're generating power. There's a current bug where those devices will actually DRAIN power. I have a lot where I have NO powered devices at all, with 6 solar panels and a wind turbine, and I always get negative power.

Using Show Bills Information will always show you your current power. If it's 0 or less, then lights won't work.

ThePsycho

Accept as Solution button - If a post answers your question please let everyone know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 3 of 4 (21,668 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@springelf165 Yes, I can't believe I forgot to mention lights settings! Thanks, @Psychotps!
Actually, I would recommend for testing purposes to set the lights to 'on' instead of 'auto' as with 'auto lights' they only come on with a sim in the room.
To do this go to any of the lights that are not a candle and select:
"Turn On..."
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 5.01.25 PM.png
Then select "All Lights":
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 5.01.40 PM.png

Then see if this makes all of the lights turn on.

If this works you can leave them on, or set them to 'Auto Light' if you only want lights on in rooms the Sims are currently in instead of all rooms.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 4 of 4 (21,651 Views)