Re: Just Figured Out the Name of the Mermaid Girl in Island Living

by AprilTheSimmer96

Original Post

Just Figured Out the Name of the Mermaid Girl in Island Living

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I looked up on Google "who is the mermaid from Island Living" (without quotes) and scrolled down and found a link to an article on The Sims Wiki and clicked it. 

Ever since seeing her on the IL cover render, she reminded me of Moana and I read on the article that she was once voiced by the girl who voiced Moana in the movie (forgot how to spell her name so I didn't type it)! Also looking at the CAS stuff that's on the Island Living pack looks like it could've been inspired by Moana, since the tattoos look similar to the ones in the movie (like the one that's on the arm of the mermaid I'm talking about which I already forgot her name). 

Tagging @PugLove888 since I remember on another thread she said she forgot the name and I'm posting the link to the article on the wiki below: 

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Nalani_Mahi%27ai 

After pasting the url I noticed it has her name in it so now whoever reads this knows her name. ☺️ 

Also the tattoo on her arm I mentioned looks almost exactly like a tattoo that's on Maui's arm (in the movie). 😉 

Also PugLove, I don't have the pack yet but I was just saying that whenever I look at the CAS stuff for the pack it looks like it could've been inspired by Moana. And now I'm really thinking it was inspired by the movie if Aul'ui Cravalho (my attempt at spelling her name from memory) voiced her once. 😃

Message 1 of 27 (685 Views)

★★★ Expert

@AprilTheSimmer96 By default there are four mermaids in Sulani, though Nalani is my favorite :D

Message 2 of 27 (675 Views)

★★★ Guide
@RandomBuzziness Yeah I think she's one of my favorites too, I think because she looks like Moana and (as PugLove stated) she's a bit of a ditz at work (at least in her game since she mentioned having to lock the doors to the house or else Nalani would dance to the radio). 😆

And when I get Island Living I'm making it a goal to move her in without using cheats (since I have cheats enabled and could easily add her to the household if I wanted, but I'm going to go without cheating to move her in and just do it normally). ☺️

Also I forgot to mention in my original post that her trait Child of the Ocean also reminded me of Moana. I was joking to myself after seeing her traits that she definitely is Moana. 😆
Message 3 of 27 (672 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@AprilTheSimmer96 , it is hard to say... the pack was probably in part inspired by Moana (at least the theme), but since Polynesian culture is a real thing , it is also possible that they were both just independently inspired by that culture.  Wink  The theme was probably inspired by the movie and perhaps the Child of the Ocean trait.  Wondering  But a lot of it was just probably inspired by the real-life culture! Standard smile

Thank you for her name (but I will most likely forget it again! EmbarrassedOopsLarge smile ).  

@RandomBuzziness , I had told @AprilTheSimmer96  that there were 4 mermaids that come with the pack, but I didn't remember any of their names either.🤦‍♀️  (I can recognize their names when I see them, though!) 😅

@AprilTheSimmer96 , I"m not the one who had her as an employee... that was @SheriGR ! Wink

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 4 of 27 (666 Views)

★★★ Expert

@AprilTheSimmer96 There will be at least one mermaid present every time you visit a public beach in Sulani so they are never all that hard to find. Btw- if you ever decide to hire Nalani as an employee, just make sure it's not in a restaurant that serves sea food ;-D

@PugLove888 I'm sure the popularity of Moana helped but I would guess that an island-themed pack was part of their plans for Sims 4 from the very beginning. Many of the Sims 4 packs seem to be follow-ups on previous Sims 3 packs and Sims 3 had Island Paradise (plus the store world Sunlit Tides). Those are still two of my favorite Sims 3 worlds. Sims 3 also had water or ocean based traits like Loves to Swim and Sailor (for living on houseboats) but I like how Sims 4 does it better by making Child of the Ocean seem friendlier towards sea life. Since many of the Sims 4 packs often seem to based mix-matched on various parts of different Sims 3 packs (rather than directly in most cases) it still gives me hope that a large agricultural world like Appaloosa Plains might still be in the future for Sims 4.

Message 5 of 27 (632 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@PugLove888Oh yeah, forgot. 😆 Thanks for the reminder! 😊

@RandomBuzzinessOkay, thanks for the info! 😊 Guess she hates seafood due to her Child of the Ocean trait, right? You know, because of them being friendlier towards sea life, as you said. ☺️ Or did you say that for another reason? 😯 I'm guessing it's the former though so my question is probably a dumb one. 😆

Message 6 of 27 (623 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@AprilTheSimmer96 Nah that's not a dumb question at all. You guessed it right-- Sims with that trait get an Uncomfortable moodlet when eating fish and a Sad moodlet if they are fishing or see a fish mounted on a wall (I found that one out the hard way). I don't have the Dine Out pack but I expect they wouldn't be happy serving fish dinners. They seem to be cool with fish in an aquarium though (thank goodness).

Message 7 of 27 (609 Views)

★★★ Guide
@RandomBuzziness Thanks for all the info! 😊 Also it's good that they don't mind seeing fish in an aquarium. ☺️ Guess as long as the fish are okay and happily swimming around they're okay with it. 😆
Message 8 of 27 (605 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@RandomBuzziness , I was thinking more along the lines of real-life cultural influence, more than the movie Moana, but you bring up a good point about previous versions of the Sims influencing TS4.  Not only did TS3 have Island Paradise, but TS1 had an island-themed locale as well, though it was strictly a vacation destination.  (There was even a mascot named Marky Sharky! 🦈🤣 )  All 4 versions of the game have had packs that let us have dogs and cats, TS2, TS3, and TS4 have had a university pack, a seasons pack , vampires, and aliens as well (TS1 had alien abductions but no visible aliens).  And all 4 versions have had magic packs,  ghosts, and the Grim Reaper.  All these things become tradition for the franchise.🥰 

Also, that reminds me that a lot of adventuring video games have  the same type of themed worlds or environments.  Many of them have a snow/ice world, a water world, a forest world, and either a desert world or a volcano/lava world (though the Legend of Zelda games have both a desert and a volcano/lava world or dungeon!).  

@AprilTheSimmer96 , if you ever do hire Nalani in a restaurant, you will have to update us if she ever has a problem when a customer orders fish! Wink

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 9 of 27 (602 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@PugLove888Okay, thanks! I will! 😊 I have this survey app on my phone and I'm trying to get enough points to actually get a free $5.00 Xbox One code to get more money on my Microsoft account balance. ☺️ Since I have five dollars and something left on my Microsoft account I might continue to use the app too so I can eventually save up enough money (on my Microsoft account) to get Island Living. I'm just that desperate for it, lol. 😆

Message 10 of 27 (596 Views)