Re: Is the Sims 4 Wheelchair Accessible?

by RandomBuzziness

Original Post

★ Guide

I would love the Sims 4 to be more Ada friendly.  I was able to make my own ADA bathroom stalls using the Chrome bar from GTW.  I was able to make cosmetic ramps using the roof tool.  I would love a superhero pack to represent differently abled Simmers as myself who have been using a wheelchair for twenty years since I started Simming.

Message 91 of 147 (758 Views)

★★★ Expert

@RubyTina91 @HorseObsessed If you would like a height slider your best bet for now is using a mod. There are a few different mods out there, the one I use is from Mod the Sims. With this mod I can make my Sims taller or shorter by increasing or decreasing the size of their feet in CAS (larger foot = taller Sim, smaller foot = shorter Sim). The game does a pretty good job of compensating for height differences & most animations involving Sims of different heights look very natural. I know many people prefer not to use mods-- they must be maintained properly and they frequently need to be updated after every game patch or they will cause problems with your game-- but for height sliders, mods are currently the only way to add them to the game.

Message 92 of 147 (930 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@ChristianOtaku I found this thread because I was watching youtuber lilsimsie and she was like "creating Olive Garden" blah blah blah "stairs" and my mind went straight to how that isn't inclusive (which is crazy because I've never thought about that before). This led me to searching for inclusive options and I found...

https://englishsimmercc.tumblr.com/post/618565346481324032/most-used-mods-for-disabilities-in-the-si...

I think it's a great idea and I love that it offers so many options. I haven't tried it yet, but I've downloaded it. Happy Simming!!!
Message 93 of 147 (837 Views)

Accessibility within sims

★★★ Newbie

Are there sim characters or sims objects such as wheelchairs or crutches? I feel at this time in 2022 since we can make our sims look how ever we want there should be an option for that. I say this since sims is going into the neurodiversity route they could also go into the physical diversity route 

Message 94 of 147 (630 Views)

Re: Accessibility within sims

Champion (Retired)

@lefteye917 

Wheelchairs are not possible as it would be impossible to get above ground level.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 95 of 147 (612 Views)

The Sims Team confirmed on a stream while ago they are making a research for mobility aids and how they could be implemented in game. SimGuruGrant also said in 2018 they are actively making research on disabilities, wheelchairs, deafness, etc. I have no idea if this will ever come to game, but lets hope so.

I see no real limitations for wheelchair except budget. There's no in-game thing that would somehow make impossible the limitation. Obviously, there are valid concerns like stairs, but that can be solved by having wheelchair that can go itself up and down stairs. Terrain also does not feel like something that would limit their function as it is question of animations. 

Message 96 of 147 (598 Views)

★ Expert
@PatrickClSim3Low With the implementation of elevators in City Living, it's entirely possible to make these elevators more useful for different lots which would help resolve the stairs issue
Message 97 of 147 (549 Views)

Disabled people

★★★ Newbie

Down there you can an email I send to EA help, I would love to get to more people. It is very important for me and my brother. Maybe you can help us, creators should think about that very seriously, not only about LGBT+ people, we're important too. It could show how difficult is our life and give them more empathy. 

Dear Sirs,

I am writting to expres my feelings about your games, especialy The Sims series. I noted that there is a lack of options for disabled people, which is sad for me as one of them.

Your games is full of options for LGBT people. I think it is good, but why you care so much about their feelings, when they are not only one minority group. I am feeling overlooked. If women in The Sims 4 can pee standing up and men can give birth, why disabled people cannot be themself and feeling real while they are playing your game? It is discrimination. Nowadays all people cares so much about LGBT people. Whatever series or movies I am watching, there is always someone who is gay. Sometimes it is hero who is only for being a gay. What about disabled people? Maybe it is time for changes which would be about other minority. For example Hogwarts Mystery have this two groups. We can be friends with invalid and date someone who have same sex as us. They care about mine laws. If you could do vampires, goths, marmides and much more fantastic options I belive that you can do something with my group. I love your games but as I cannot be myself it makes me feel as being myself is not good enough, so it makes me really sad. I think that it is similar situation as if in your game would be womens who cannot working as doctors or soldiers. Can you imagine that? So how disabled people can feeling? Exactly like women would feel in that situation. It is 2020 year so it is high time to care about us too. Maybe instead of making another game pack about something silly you can make something big, start revolutions in disabled people lifes. I know that it could be a lot of work, but it would mean so much for us. It would bring problems of our life to others attention. I think it is much more important than options of being a vampire or mermaid. People do not know what problems we must conquer and they do not know how to help. Moreover they do not know how to behave when they see us. Why? Because they see us in games or in TV once a time. We are something tropical. It is time to change it.

Thank you for reading. I am sorry for my weak English, but I wantted to make you think about it. I would be grateful if you will take a moment to think about my words and will do something. I would love to play The Sims and not feeling strange. 

Yours faithfully, 

Message 98 of 147 (744 Views)

Re: Disabled people

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hi,

I am physically disabled to and have wanted disabled sims forever but it's not something we'll ever get without mods. Most disabled people want to forget they are disabled when they play The Sims so whenever somebody mentions the topic everyone freaks out. I tried years ago to bring it up and like instantly became the most hated person on the forums. EA won't touch the topic because everyone is divided, also because it would just mean more work for them, so unfortunately, it's best just to google Sims 4 disability mods, and keep the want of disabled sims to yourself. Because, like cars, we'll never see it in The Sims 4 officially. But I agree with you 100% we should be included, but just like in the real world, people feel more comfortable forgetting we exist.

Message 99 of 147 (701 Views)

Re: Disabled people

Champion (Retired)

@11rg1k84pe7w 

If you can come up with some gameplay ideas for a particular disability that would work in the Sims 4 you will have a much higher chance of it being implemented but it is really hard to do something like this. It has been brought up many times here. One thing I regularly see mentioned are wheelchairs but that is simply not possible in the Sims 4. Maybe in the Sims 5 if there ever is one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 100 of 147 (873 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help