Is This By Design & a Request

by sushicrow

Original Post

Is This By Design & a Request

★ Guide

I don't play vegetarian sims often, but she will autonomously 'discuss local fishing spots'  and has whims to cook franks and beans and other non-veg food. I'm thinking it's an error, but thought I'd ask. If these things could be filtered out, that would be great because it seems weird.

Also, I haven't checked since the most recent update, but my veggie sims would get hungry at the Comedy Fest and there's never any veggie food at the stalls. Thanks Standard smile

Message 1 of 14 (814 Views)

Re: Is This By Design & a Request

Champion

@sushicrow, I think this is an oversight, in regards to the "discuss local fishing spots and the Humor and Hijinks Festival.  However, having a whim to cook franks and beans or any thing like that sounds like it could be a bug.  Wondering  But you are right in that none of these things should be happening for Vegetarian Sims! Disappointed  And it surprises me about the Humor and Hijinks Festival since the developers are usually pretty good about giving our Vegetarian Sims suitable options! Raised eyebrow  I don't play with the Vegetarian trait too often unless that trait really fits a certain Sim or story I'm going for, so I didn't even know about these! 

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 14 (804 Views)

Hero

@sushicrow @PugLove888   I have also noticed when one of my sims has that trait, that their 1st preference when they autonomously grab a dish from the fridge is usually not a vegetarian meal too.  And of course they get that tastes terrible animation while they eat and that negative buff after eating it.  I have read that somewhere else here too.  Same goes for those that autonomously cook on the grill.  Always seems to be something they wouldn't normally eat.  They really shouldn't do that.  Sort of defeats the purpose of the trait.

Message 3 of 14 (769 Views)

Champion

@CGrant56, yes I've noticed that too!  And grilling really irks me because despite their being grilled fruit, tofu-dogs, tofu burgers, and baked potatoes on the grill they will often choose the options that they shouldn't !  Also, when they grill it is for 8 servings, and if your whole household is Vegetarian, that is either a lot of wasted food, or a lot of upset stomachs! Disappointed And to make matters worse, my non-Vegetarian Sims are the ones who almost always grill the tofu-dogs! Oops

Message 4 of 14 (761 Views)

★ Guide

@PugLove888, @CGrant56  Yeah, I micromanage any veggie creature I make regarding food prep. Makes playing a veggie sim less appealing. I started micromanaging when my veggie sim automously grabbed a ham and cheese sandwich from the fridge.

I wonder if the autonomous hot dog making has something to do with junk food. I know that some sims I make love junk food and others prefer salads. Could the game be labeling the hot dogs as junk food and the tofu dogs as healthy? My junk food sims don't seem to go wild over tofu dogs.

Message 5 of 14 (731 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@sushicrow, that is possible but I doubt it.  If that were the case my non-vegetarian Sims would never grill tofu dogs, yet they do it almost every time! Disappointed  !  Also, Many vegetarian and vegan foods are just as bad for you as the meat versions -- those new impossible burgers and beyond burgers,   You are better off eating a salad with a vinaigrette dressing (with no sugar.  The original French vinaigrette dressings never had sugar! ) or some other food item that isn't heavily processed.  Angel

If you are vegan because of animal rights then that is one thing, but if you are vegan or vegetarian for health reasons, there are a lot of pitfalls to avoid like the new impossible burgers and beyond burgers that are recently being offered. It would be healthier to have some fresh roasted chicken breast than to eat the heavily processed veggie burger , but of course if you are doing it for the animals, then the chicken breast is out of the question! Wink

I think the food selection in the game is either completely random, or else it could be based on your previous choices, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  It seems more random to me. Large smile

Message 6 of 14 (724 Views)

★ Guide
@PugLove888 Yeah, those processed vegan and veggie patties are terrible healthwise. Better to make your own, homemade tastes better anyway. I'm thinking that maybe sims don't know this, though, LOL.

I make my own salad dressing. I use peanut butter instead of oil. I love salads Standard smile I've come to think that wild foods are probably the healthiest, but unfortunately not realstic in large quantities.

Yeah, I'm foodie. That's why I don't paly veggie sims that often, even though IRL I eat vegan. There are more recipes for non veggies and I especially love the International ones. I don't eat mud carp, but many of my sims do. However, if more of those international dishes were veggie, I'd reconsider Standard smile
Message 7 of 14 (694 Views)

Champion

@sushicrow, yes if you can make your own veggie burgers or anything really, then that would be much more healthier, as you could control the amount of salt, sugars, and other things, and you wouldn't probably have ingredients in that sound like they belong in laundry detergent. Large smile

But that is the price you pay for convenience! Ever been to a place that has great salsa that also sells it in jars?  It never tastes the same because the jarred version has preservatives that the fresh version does not have. Raised eyebrow

I've had dressings with peanut butter! (Some I've loved and some I didn't, but that would depend on the recipe). I usually use olive oil when I make my dressing, but it does get solidified in the fridge.  I guess our Sims don't have that problem! Large smile  And no, wild foods aren't very realistic in large quantities and probably not in some cities. But if you have one nearby, farmers markets are a great place to shop! Yes, I'm a foodie too!  When friends or family members travel, I always want to know what they ate!  Also, I always love when our Sims get new foods added to the game! 

There is no way I could be vegan even if some meals I eat would qualify, but some of the best vegan recipes I've seen were at ethnic restaurants, especially Indian restaurants.  Dishes where vegetables are celebrated, instead of manipulated beyond recognition so that they can resemble something they aren't!  I'd rather eat a plate or bowl of veggies and grains with a delicious spicy sauce than eat a tofu-dog any day!  And while I'm not a big fan of tofu due to its texture, I will eat some in Chinese dishes where it its not trying to be something it isn't. Large smile  

Even though our Sims are just pixels, I feel better giving them the  Mapo Tofu dish that came with City Living, than forcing them to the fake BLT sandwiches.  
And speaking of City Living, I've seen many of those recipes on the Food Network in real life! Heart  

Message 8 of 14 (665 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@sushicrow I'm sure a lot of that can be easily fixed. As Pug said, likely an oversight.

I don't know since I'm not Vegetarian, so excuse me if this is wrong, blame it on ignorance. But can't Vegetarian's fish? They don't have to kill and eat the fish, just release them alive. It's more the action of fishing, right?
Message 9 of 14 (607 Views)

★ Guide

@Psychotps  I appreciate the way you framed your question. The reason why it feels out of place for me to see a Veggie sim autonomously talk about fishing spots...well I've never met a veggie who did that. I can't speak for all veggies/ vegans. For me it's not just about eating meat, it's the pain of animals (including people btw) - or maybe more specifically, avoidable pain. So, since  catch and release causes injury to the fish purely for sport, it would not be something I, as a result veggies  in my sim world, would talk about.

There are  more reasons other veggies may have, but that's mine. I thought it was good to answer this, as I'd really like to see the change happen in my game and I'm hoping that explaining why may help, thanks for asking. If you're interested in more reasons, I encourage going to some veggie and vegan forums and reading more, I don't want this to accidentally turn into some wild, raging ,weird thread or soemthing as oposed to a fix request Standard smile

@PugLove888  I know what you mean about when restaurant food is packaged like that. I loses it's zest. I used to watch cooking channels a long time ago, somtimes I'll watch vids online, but I mostly like cookbooks, even though I end up completely changing anything I see as promising Standard smile This may seem weird, but my favorite cookbooks are not veggie or vegan. IMO, most cookbooks in general  are not very good. I just convert ideas/ recipes, not a big deal since I can't seem to stay recipe faithful anyway!. My favorite way to cook is the "what's in my house" method. It's fun and I've come up with new recipes that way.

I always get nervous when someone says to me "oh, you have to try [my/ my family] [insert alleged food here]", it's never been good. I've meet way too many folks that think they have some kind of natural cook trait (excuse TS3 reference) and make poor quality meals! I'm hungry, off to make creamy spinach tofu soup now. I don't care what they say. Soup may be simple, but truly great soup is hard to find! You must try my soup, it'd to die for! lol Standard smile 

Message 10 of 14 (578 Views)