Re: [Info] The Sims 4 Jungle Adventure

by thunder2012jkh

Original Post

Champion

@jpkarlsen, oh good! I though I was going crazy or blind! Raised eyebrowLarge smile:eahigh_file:  Thanks for the information!  All nearby gates were blocked for me as well every time I went there.  If I ever see that my Sims can access the nearby area, I will certainly check it out! Party hat

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 61 of 69 (3,045 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

hi @PugLove888!

agreed! at least bees give us honey! it's just that i never got over a bee sting i got when i was little. and, in the commotion, my father's 80s "Ray-Ban style" sunglasses broke! Angry so, not cool! (removing the sting was also really difficult so it wasn't a good experience... *shudders*)

i'll probably watch that one and some more Brady Bunch episodes. i really enjoy "older" shows/films/etc. i mean "older" as in... you know, as opposed to all the special-effects-y stuff we have now. which, while it looks super cool, sometimes ends up being more important/talked about than actual plot-lines.

"Espuma" can mean "foam", or "froth". i have no idea what the drink is, though. and also... the mate "ritual" can be useful when you're adding/welcoming a new person to a family or to a circle of friends. it's a way to say "you're one of us", but basically... it's just a simple way for people to enjoy being together while sharing something. Standard smile there's always some money left for some mate and a pack of salty biscuits.

oh! i forgot about tea and milk. *my* tea needs to be as dark as possible; in fact, i don't even remove the bag from the mug. Large smile hm... i rarely drink it with lemon, and only sometimes with honey. like one is told to do when sick/maybe with a sore throat?

ooh. i'd forgotten about biscotti. annndd... now i'm thinking of other stuff, like amaretti... which my paternal grandmother always used to give us all, when we went to her house.

wow, what a coincidence! do you remember where your family's friends were from, exactly? :D

i've also had the empanadas you mentioned (i don't eat meat and haven't for years, so my favourites have become caprese *and* cheese and onions, btw) but i have nooo idea what empanadas de verde are.

it's so great... we *are* learning a lot from this pack. Thumbs up

oh, i explained myself terribly. i'm sorry! what's electrical is my headache (just to define it some way, because it's got a really long and complicated medical term... which i still have trouble remembering). i do wish i had a headscarf that did something to help it, other than sheltering my head/face from the wind. Disappointed

(now i know for sure, what you meant about the JA scarves. it would have been nice to be able to choose hair and scarves separately.)

and maybe you've already looked it up, but if you haven't: Curanto is made by cooking over red-hot stones that are placed in a hole--the whole process happens underground. over those stones, you place some sort of... bed of leaves? (i don't know how else to explain it... Frown) then you place the food over that, cover it up with more leaves, and finally with earth. i'm guessing it could be something similar to a ground oven? Wondering

i'm not sure where exactly it originated. but it was probably near the southern area of Chile, so it's also popular in the southern part of Argentina.

and thanks *so* much for the pictures!! Heart

Message 62 of 69 (3,035 Views)

Champion

@unseenlarks, Ray Bans are my favorite!  They are the only sunglasses that don't make me look stupid! Cool

I hope that having Yerba Mate in Jungle Adventure will encourage people who don't know about it to look it online so they can learn about the social aspects of it!  Sort of like how Japanese tea isn't just a drink but a whole ritual or way of life. Standard smile   Thank you for providing some insight into the Mate custom of South America!  It is always better to have someone with first hand experience explain it!  And I'm really interested in those salty biscuits you mentioned that go with the Mate! Raised eyebrow

The Espuma Agria drink at the food stand in Jungle Adventure must not be popular in your particular country, or at least not in the region of your country in which you live.  I tried to look it up, but haven't found anything useful yet.  I also drink my tea with the bag kept in it as long as possible! :eahigh_file: but I also like a lot of sugar. Embarrassed  I will also drink it with honey and/or lemon sometimes.

Just the other day I watched a show on television on the Mayan city of Chichen Itza.  They focused on the large temple there ... how it was made and why they think it was made, as well as an astronomical observatory called the Caracol.  (I knew that meant "snail" in Spanish from one of my favorite Spanish teachers! ).  It was very interesting, and I might have not taped it except that it reminded me of the temple in Jungle Adventure!  

I feel so bad when my Sims get stung by the bees in the jungle! Frown  While I've never been stung by an actual bee, I've been stung several times by wasps! ShockedDevilTeeth bared  They say wasp venom hurts more than bee stings, but I've been terrified of trying to remove the sting of a bee without pumping more venom into myself! Shocked (Which is similar to what you said, so I must have been right to be so worried! Devil )  Once while camping, my father-in-law got stung by a bee while we all were playing badminton, and my husband and sister-in-law had gone back to the camper to get something to drink or use the bathroom.  So that meant that I was the only person available to remove his bee sting, and I was so worried I'd do it wrong that I ran back to get my husband! Embarrassed 

I can't find information on the game's Empanadas de Verde online, but in the game if you cook them they require onion and avocado.  Do you know of any empanadas that use those ingredients?  Interesting that one of your types of empanadas is called "Caprese" just like the Italian Insalata Caprese!  I've never had cheese and onion empanadas, but I have had cheese and onion enchiladas! Standard smile

I'm sorry I misunderstood you!  I thought your meant electrical headscarves for headaches, not using headscarves for electrical headaches! Embarrassed  that makes more sense!  Speaking of headaches, one of the curses that one of the Totems from Jungle Adventure can give you causes you to hallucinate certain things.  

Spoiler
You hallucinate Selvadorian food!

But around the pictures of the hallucinations are little pulsating colored squiqly lines that look exactly like the auras I get whenever I've had a migraine headache! Raised eyebrow I wonder if the developers of Jungle Adventure did that on purpose?!?  I thought it was a nice touch for a curse! Large smile 

Ooh! I love amaretti!  Before biscotti became popular all over the United States you had to live in an area of the country with a lot of Italians, or you had to be of Italian decent to know what they were. I did not grow up in an area with a lot of Italians, so my Grandparents had to send us things that they had up in the North East part of the US that were Italian.  So, my Garndma always made biscotti, which were my brother's favorite, and "honey balls" which I think are the same thing as Zeppoli (Zeppole).  But my favoirite were the Pizzelles that she made!  They were made with a batter on a iron like a waffle iron but with decorative images like flowers and snowflakes.  

The only recipie form Jungle Adventure that I've actually eaten are Platanos Fritos.  It don't know if they were prepared like the ones in the game are meant to be, but these were Cuban inspired.  

No, I do not remember from where in Argentina my family's friends were from. Frown   I can ask my Mom if she remembers.  They would often go on trips back to visit.  Standard smile  

Yes, not being able to pick which hair accessory color is a problem with The Sims 4 (and not just Jungle Adventure).  You can either pick the color of the accessory or the color of the hair, but not both! Frown

Interesting about Curanto!  Of course, our Sims don't cook Curanto in a hole in the ground (though that would be fun).  They can cook it on the stove (or the grill too, I think).  Sounds like it is cooked similar to how Hawaiians cook their roast pig for Luaus or how they cook Cochinita Pibil in Mexico!  I would call it either a ground oven or a pit.  But in the United States, "pit" cooking can refer to other types of barbeque but where the pit is often some sort of large metal cooking vessel above ground.  

I forgot to mention that in the picture of the Curanto that my Sim made, it also looked like there was a very large carrot. (It could have been a parsnip since it was so large!) But thanks for information on Curanto! AngelHeart

Message 63 of 69 (2,987 Views)

Champion

Oops! Oops  I forgot to add the pictures! Large smile03-04-18_1-14-03 AM.png03-04-18_4-45-48 AM.png02-28-18_5-54-43 AM.png03-02-18_12-15-54 AM.png03-01-18_11-06-05 PM.png03-04-18_1-14-03 AM.png03-01-18_11-40-17 PM.png03-04-18_4-01-45 AM.png03-08-18_7-57-13 AM.png03-08-18_7-57-13 AM.png03-08-18_9-01-06 AM.png03-02-18_2-13-35 AM.png03-01-18_8-58-59 AM.png02-28-18_5-29-41 AM.png

Message 64 of 69 (2,980 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

hi @PugLove888,

i love the sunglasses too. well, i love "Ron-Beis" anyway... which is what my knock-off pair's brand name is. XD

yes, i think it's a good comparison to think of mate and Japanese tea. even if other neighbouring countries drink it, it is very tied to this country's traditions and history.

there's different types of salty biscuits. of course the ones you buy at the bakers are way better (but... what isn't?) than the mass-produced ones. which aren't bad, but it's not just the same.
from left to right: cremona, libritos, cuernitos, and classic bizcochitos. they all taste similar, to be honest, but for some mysterious reason people will often have one favourite. some of them might be slightly more sugary, depending on who makes them, same for the regular store-bought ones--especially with brown sugar.

cuernitos_grasa.jpg

i'm pretty sure every each and country has similar things, though.

it's likely that Espuma Agria isn't a thing here. or it is and i have never heard of it--which, really, wouldn't surprise me. i used to love and go to different restaurants or stalls at fairs to try different foods but i never feel too great to go out any more. (keeping a job is miraculous enough. although with as many absences i've accumulated over this past month... *that* would be the incredible thing.)

tea. <3 i also like the cinnamon kind, now that i think of it. but IMO nothing is better than plain old strong one. =)

you know, when i was first finding out about JA, i was sure there was some Mayan influence there, too... what that culture built and what discoveries and advances they made is simply amazing and makes you wonder just how... sometimes i think humanity isn't as smart nowadays... Tongue out

oh no. i'm scared of wasps too! and i know i would have been as nervous as you were about removing the bee sting. i think my dad used regular tweezers. i don't remember too well because i was too busy crying. -_-
(i have also heard wasp stings are even more painful.)

i've never had or seen any avocado empanadas. (it sounds more like a filling for tacos, doesn't it?) i'd like to have some of those, though...

and yes the caprese empanadas are similar to salad... well, just like most empanadas, you eat them hot. the ham and cheese empanadas lots of people don't mind eating cold. there is also a typical party snack with is served cold or just a little bit warm... ham and cheese as filling for a sweet dough. XD

that's a very interesting thought about the hallucinations, because i'm willing to bet than migraines do feel like a curse. i have a friend who, while she doesn't get auras, she does need to stay in a cool, quiet place, and smells don't agree with her at all. i guess we all have our specific triggers, or just things that make our headaches feel worse.

i either don't know or remember Zeppoli... there are so many italian foods and recipes i'm sure are sadly being forgotten... which is a shame, unless the older generations want to pass on those little "secrets"... Wink as it's not the same to google something and cook it, without knowing that extra "something" a grandmother would add.

hmm... and i know something which is (or was) always sold in parks and i used to have a lot when i was a child, and it also looked like it was made on a waffle iron (at least it looked similar to one, but with smaller squares and was *very* crunchy, actually kind of looked like a flattened tall ice cream cone. there is also a biscuit that looks like that but is filled with chocolate or strawberry, but isn't as crunchy.

oh, i hope your mother remembers, if she wants to say, of course! it's probably a town or province i've never been to... i mean, what are the odds. but it would be a crazy coincidence. i've only lived in two places anyway, and it was the same province.

yes, i think the same about the hair accessories. even those with just ponytail fasteners/bands... i'd use some of them a lot more if we could choose everything.

you *have* to be right about Curanto because... people who make it do say there have to be as many kind of vegetables included as there is kind of beef (i think if it's 3 of one, there *has* to be 3 of the other. but i'm not sure if that's the limit. XD).

thanks so much for the pictures, they are great! the one where your Sim is holding the relic or artifact marked with skulls... XD (but the snake... eek.)

i really like the tile designs, and the patterns, and the cap! and the way the temple and landscapes look... everything is really lovely and looks very well done.

Message 65 of 69 (2,971 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Looks like a fun Game Pack. I saw the trailers and I watch Deligracy's Gameplay on this I am liking the new aspirations and skills that are offered in the pack itself.

Message 66 of 69 (2,966 Views)

Champion

@thunder2012jkh, this is a fun Game Pack! I'm really loving it! Heart I also like how you can't uncover everything in one vacation -- the game will close off some areas for next time, ensuring you will visit again and again! Party hat  Also, the main temple will re-arrange itself after you complete it and leave the area, so you explore the temple over and over and it won't be the same!  Cool

@unseenlarks, "Ron-Beis" Large smile  Well, at least my Sims' have sunglasses that look like Ray-Bans, but they also might be "Ron-Beis"!  Wink  

Thinking of how the Yerba Mate in Jungle Adventure is a drink tied strongly to local tradition, much like the Japanese tea tradition, lead me to think of food/drink traditions in the United States.  While we have a bunch of little ones, I think our biggest is having roast turkey at Thanksgiving.  That seems to be the most ceremonial. Still, this is only once a year, so its not the same as the Mate ritual, even if both are important!  Thanks for the picture of the salty biscuits that go with Mate! Standard smile Too bad those also didn't show up in Jungle Adventure! Frown  Ah, I can see why the "Cuernitos" are called that!  They are curled like little horns!  So many shapes for something that tastes pretty much the same is like pasta in Italy! My mom swears she doesn't like penne! I always tease her about it!  In the U.S. there is a company that makes Danish butter cookies (great with tea, coffee, or milk) that basically taste the same but come in various shapes.  I always save my favorite shape for last, as if it tastes better! Embarrassed  Cinnamon tea is great! (But I love cinnamon anything!)  My favorite ice cream is cinnamon! 

I keep forgetting to look up Espuma Agria !  I'm wondering what country(s) it is from.  This Game Pack has me so intrigued!  I play some and then I have to look up information on Central America, South America, and different regions of Mexico (both ancient and modern)!   I did this a little bit with TS3's World Adventures, but not nearly so much as I've had with Jungle Adventure! Heart This Game Pack is really satisfying the geek in me! Nerd  It gives me a spring-board to look up certain items or aspects of these cultures.Cool

I now want to compare more closely the differences between Mayan, Aztec, and Incan cultures.  I've seen a bit of all 3 (and probably some from some of the lesser ancient cultures in South and Central America).  Yes, in many ways the ancients were smarter.  I think the difference is that the majority of people weren't "book smart" but were smarter on a more practical level.  Only the higher classes were "book smart". 

Oh, I forgot to tell you that (at least so far) the snakes in the game are harmless! Shocked Large smile  Yet, other things in real life that are harmless are very dangerous in Jungle Adventure! Large smile:eahigh_file:

Yes, not every migraine sufferer will get auras. I rarely get them, but mine always come with auras. So when my Sim got that curse from the idol she found, I thought the hallucinations looked like my auras! The hallucinations in the game kind of pulsate as well, so that adds to the similarity of migraine auras! I can show you a picture, but you won't get the pulsations from it.  The last picture I'm including in this post is one of the hallucinations that came with one of the curses! Wink

I'm sorry you have been feeling too sick to go out much like you like to! Devil I hope you get some relief! Disappointed  

Yes, those flattened ice cream cone/waffle cookies you had might have been pizzelles!  They are crunchy!

In our Sims' Curanto dish, I can only detect potatoes and carrots (maybe parsnips), but I think that is pretty good for a video game's representation! Cool  If I'm ever in a position to try it, I think I would like it! 

Yes, there are at least 3 kinds of relic bases in Jungle Adventure. (Death, Chaos, and Watcher)  There are different heads to the relics as well.  Then you can put refined gem stones in them, but I don't think the type of stone makes any difference. Wondering  The tile in this Game Pack is marvelous!  (I love decorative tile!) Heart  There are a lot of llama references throughout the GP as well!  Really perfect for The Sims! Party hat  The developers did a stellar job with the graphics, as this is a truly beautiful addition to TS4! Angel

Message 67 of 69 (2,889 Views)

★★ Pro

Hi @thunder2012jkh 

It sure is a cool pack, and another Deligracy Fan! Large smileShe is a very cool streamer I like watching both her and James Turner as they have awesome streams! 

Happy Simming!

Sasha

nb: and not just because they're Australian like me.. Standard smile

Message 68 of 69 (2,884 Views)

★★ Expert

hi @PugLove888,

i agree, it could be similar to Thanksgiving traditions... but *that*'s more meaningful, because it's only once a year. and since people drink mate all of the time, it might end up being... just a regular drink, for some. and not a symbol of friendship or sharing, just a simple breakfast drink.

i also think that preferring one biscuit shape over another (which tastes almost the same) is pretty much like what happens with pasta. i understand people preferring pesto or something else to go *with* it (i especially love cheese, broccoli and butter, myself) but all kinds of pasta are similar to begin with.

and also, great example about the Danish cookies. i often want one so much but they're so expensive... i haven't seen them in years and years, now that i think of it... i remember a few times, when i was a child, my mother receiving one of those tin boxes they were packed in? and i was so happy when i was allowed to have one.
i'll sometimes buy a bag of a "knock-off" (much like i do with sunglasses) brand ones, and they're not even close... but kind of appease me. *and* i also save the ones with the (in this case) pattern i like best for last. XD

there is a very popular dessert (arroz con leche) which i also like with cinnamon. my grandmother used to make it, but i just buy the plastic cups (which look much like yogurt containers) now.

i haven't found anything about the Espuma Agria. since in Spanish it means "bitter" or "sour", i thought it might have something to do with those kind of oranges. but then, there is a similar word in Portuguese ("agrião", which means... a sort of watercress, i *think*) so that is confusing--it would make for a very strange drink.

and it's all so interesting... the myths, origins, politics, urban organisation, economics, religion, science, etc. of all of these ancient civilisations... and sadly, nowadays, so much is forgotten.

as for the Curanto... i'd rather have the Sim-version, as it doesn't seem to have any meat. XD

that's funny about the llama references. i keep thinking about the llama i "met" in real life, years ago... and how it made *me* think of the Sims.

thank you for adding more pictures! i'm really enjoying them. all of the little details are amazing. and it looks like there's a little bit for every style of gameplay. also, i hope your Sim isn't cursed any more. Tongue out

Message 69 of 69 (2,864 Views)