Re: ILLEGAL/PROHIBITED TO CHANGE "REGION LOCKED" GAME LANGUAGE?

by BlackholeViper

Original Post

ILLEGAL/PROHIBITED TO CHANGE "REGION LOCKED" GAME LANGUAGE?

★★★ Apprentice

I'm one of the unlucky ones who likes to play their game in a different language other than what the game comes with. My version is locked to English US but I like to play in German because that's my native language.

I managed to change my games language from English to German by replacing the "Strings_ENG_US.package" with the german one and changing some numbers in the package file.

Now my question is: Is it illegal or in any way prohibited to acquire the other language strings packages and/or sharing it with others? I was thinking about creating a mod with the modified string packages to help all the other people out that like to play their game in another language.

Message 1 of 7 (562 Views)

Champion (Retired)

It is illegal to spread any game files in any form. This is covered by Copyright laws and the EULA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 7 (550 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@jpkarlsen
Really? Then how are there thousand of mods out there with modified game files?

Message 3 of 7 (546 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Mods are written for the game they do not contain existing game files. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 7 (542 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Well you obviously don't know much about mods. Mods are modified existing game files which are taken directly from the game Data directory. 

Message 5 of 7 (535 Views)

Champion (Retired)

You do extract some resources as XML files that you use to create mods. That is not the same as distributing game files.

Message 6 of 7 (530 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Yes and the language package files are nothing but text files where the strings are given the appropriate translation text. It's nothing like sharing actual gameplay files. In the past people used to share their languages packages online and help people edit the registry to use another language but that method is now obsolete. I would rather have a statement of someone who's genuinely suitable to give a comment about that specific scenario.

Message 7 of 7 (523 Views)