Re: Huge power losses living off the grid with nealy nothing that could drain th

by simvasion

Original Post

Re: Huge power losses living off the grid with nealy nothing that could drain th

Champion
@LeCheffre until you have any power in storage, none of the appliances are using full power mode - they’re all doing zero consumption. So the bills will show a power surplus.

When you get power in storage, all of the appliances then turn on and start using full power as they would do on the grid, which is when you will see what their true usage is.

Can you test removing the off the grid traits from both lots and see what the power usage is when both lots are on the grid?
Message 11 of 19 (1,311 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@simvasion Right so I might have discovered the "issue" here. Geothermal lot trait. Apparently I have it on my harbor lot but not on my sulani lot. And it really seems to make the difference here. I did what u asked. Put off the grind and on. With geothermal there is a surplus of what I would expect. With no geothermal on both lots. They go deep in the red while still only having one fridge. In my opinion it still does not make sense. But having geothermal on the sulani lot now makes me able to make and store power again.

However... now that I " fixed" this. I still strongly disagree with how power works. There is no way one fridge needs 10 sun panels or 4 power generators to stay equal on usages --> generated. My inreallife house has 6 sunpanels and most days we actaully stay equal or even sell back to the power company on fair days. The power usage of items or generation from the sunpanels is actually very poorly. They need to atleast double if not triple the generation...The only way power generating seems fair is with the geothermal lot trait. Anyways...But what I say now is something else and lingers from my original post. and would be feedback instead.

Thank you anyway. I will continue to test obviously with the geothermal trait.
Message 12 of 19 (6,999 Views)

Champion
@LeCheffre it's good to know! I haven't played enough to form an opinion on the power and water consumption yet. It may be balanced to start like this, but get better and improve depending on having multiple features of the pack in play, like the eco-footprints giving more or less power, using eco-upgrades on the fridge to make it better, upgrading the solar panels, enabling NAPs that make it better, etc.
Message 13 of 19 (1,295 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm using exclusively off-the-grid items and also have no way at all to produce power, so nothing that uses electricity should ever be used. And yet, my sims pay up to 30-ish simoleons in electricity every week. I don't know why!

Entirely vanilla, on MacBook Pro.

Message 14 of 19 (1,234 Views)

Champion
@legasimmer You need to have the off-the-grid lot trait or have failed to pay your bills and been cut off by the utilities company for items to cease using power. Off-the-grid stoves and fridges will operate like on-the-grid mode if they are connected to the grid or if you have surplus power generation.
Message 15 of 19 (1,214 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@simvasion Yes, sorry, I thought it was implied, my lot is indeed off-the-grid :/ And I have no power generation at all.

Message 16 of 19 (1,202 Views)

Champion
@legasimmer you've said in another thread that your issue is that you still get charged for power on an off-the-grid lot - this thread is about someone who had two identical lots and one was making power but the other one wasn't and it turned out to be a lot trait that was making the difference and not a bug. As this thread was solved, you should make a new thread for your issue.
Message 17 of 19 (1,196 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@simvasion Oooooh okay! Reading through their original post I thought it pointed to some random mistakes with how bills were calculated, so possibly something similar to me, but I missed the answer completely! Thank you <3

Message 18 of 19 (1,188 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am still having this issue now in Henford-on-Bagley. The more solar panels/wind turbines I add, the worse it seems to get

Message 19 of 19 (510 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help