Re: How is everybody holding up?

by sirdayne

Original Post

@IrisuChan

Updating the game in Origin doesn't touch your saves folder, launching the game loads the saves so you can still back them up before playing.

Turn off automatic updates in Origin Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 11 of 18 (343 Views)

Champion
@daikoyu Completely agree with you! I find that I usually do! I hope we see you back here soon but fully understand you taking time out.
I feel bit like an angry guinea pig myself!
I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 12 of 18 (332 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@IrisuChan wrote:

I haven't noticed anything too bizarre yet with regards to the wants/fears, but if they're basic wants and fears, not relating to any specific packs I already have then that is very disappointing. So far I had two sims being a bit tired of their job and feeling a bit stressed out and they could "regain the passion for work". That makes things a bit more realistic, I guess!

One thing I noticed that's wrong is when I take 2 sims on a scenic hike, and the game suddenly focuses on one of my other household's sim, who is using her phone somewhere on the same lot. She's not in the group of two that are taking a hike so it's weird. Oh yeah and excessive phone usages, like everyone is texting and walking. What's worse, there's not even any "phone" interaction to cancel. -_-

Other than that though, an hour into playing since the update, it seems my sims are happy or very happy. :o (unless the green bars are not really green, as I read somewhere someone had a sim die of hunger with a green bar...) But why couldn't they ADD wants and fears next to the whims? One of my sims wants to flirt with her neighbour but I don't want them to lmao, but I cannot dismiss the want either. 😶

About your statement where you say "things are not too bizzarre yet," maybe this doesn't happen to you, but my sim absolutely CANNOT be promoted to the lev 10 in her career regardless of what I do. She *finally* met all of the requirements for the promotion, I had her "talk about  her fear" and then go to work "w/renewed passion" (or whatever it is called), in the right "focused" mood, happy and everything, but the moment she's at work, she's angry that  this is "a dead end job!" Then it will not promote her; the promotion is totally and completely impossible. For me, this whole thing of fears is waaaaaaaaay too much as usual. I don't think EA knows balance in anything! I'm sick and tired already of this new fears update!!

Message 13 of 18 (291 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Marvel24690 I would rather wait until the end of the week for them to test the update more than to receive a rushed patch that breaks more things
Message 14 of 18 (288 Views)

★ Pro
@Bluebellflora Tested? Surely you jest.
Message 15 of 18 (273 Views)

Champion

I always encourage people to have a back up but the irony is that on console that doesn't always help you. The updates in Summer 2019 and 2020 both inexplicably wiped my saves and my back ups and took me back to the original starting point. I can't even describe how I felt seeing that menu and spending about an hour just thinking "what the what" and "but what" and then getting the trembly lip and the shaky hands, then the pacing and swearing started and that was when things really turned ugly...a controller may have been thrown and a few new swear words invented. Then I got an error code a few months later and it happened again, everything was lost.

So I tried to enjoy rebuilding my world and told myself at least I had more packs since I first made those creations and could do my builds and Sims justice.

I was relieved when I just loaded up my game after this update and it was there... even if it did crash to home after a few minutes.

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 16 of 18 (259 Views)

★★★★ Expert

So, PC users...

I have a script I use to back up. It's a .cmd that sits on my desktop. Whenever I'm finished playing, I double-click it and it runs:

robocopy "c:\users\[me]\documents\electronic arts\the sims 4\" "i:\the sims 4\" /mir

robocopy "c:\users\[me]\documents\electronic arts\the sims 4\" "z:\the sims 4\" /mir

robocopy "c:\users\[me]\documents\electronic arts\the sims 4\saves" "r:\the sims 4\saves" /mir

I: is an external hard drive I keep attached to my PC.

Z: is a NAS I have access to that will allow me to rollback a number of weeks with the Windows "previous versions" feature (it's actually ZFS snapshots but that's how Windows sees it)

R: is an offsite location and is in case my house burns down or something.

/mir means mirror, in that if I delete something, delete it in the other location, so you want to be careful not to run it if you've accidentally deleted something. Just open up the other drive and look.

You can edit this to refer to what you have. You can get the correct path by navigating in Windows explorer. If you don't have an external USB drive, you can use something like Dropbox, but if you have 5 GB of CC and 1 GB of Dropbox that won't work... you get my point.

If I have something horrible happen, I can look on the NAS and get my saves back from there. If there's a power outage and I want to play on my laptop, I can look on the external drive.

I also back up my PC with Acronis, so if my hard drive dies I can pop in a new one and restore everything and keep going (although I compare the timestamps on the hard drive and the NAS).

I hope that helps.

Message 17 of 18 (249 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Personally I started backing up the game saves on PC after the patch dropped last week and before hitting Continue; just having that popup in the main menu that said "hey we know aging is broken right now, please backup your saves" was the turning point for me. I know I should have backed up my saves before now, but I am doing them daily now in case anything breaks.

Forgive me, I just recently got back into playing TS4. I have been oblivious to the issues that have been faced by the community in past EPs, GPs, and Stuff Packs. I last played back when Cats & Dogs was released on PC.

Message 18 of 18 (226 Views)