Re: How do I edit family relationships?

by SianAF148

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How do I edit family relationships?

★★ Guide

Recently I've been recreating my favourite families from my Sims 2 days so that I can play them on Sims 4 and by 'families' I mean one huge interconnected family which involves uncles, aunts, cousins, great grandparents etc etc. There's at least 20 members so obviously I can't create them all in one go and sort out all their relationships there and then. I've made them all separately and have painfully pieced together all of the family relationships (or so I thought).

Anyone familiar with the Curious siblings? Jenny (Smith), Lazlo, Pascal, and Vidcund? They're the problem. On my sims 4 recreation, Jenny's family tree says she is the sister of all 3 of the Curious brothers, however Lazlo for some reason is not the brother of Vidcund and Pascal, despite being Jenny's brother (who is also their sister). I was hoping the game would automatically correct Lazlo's relation to the other brothers but no.

testingcheats true + cas.fulleditmode haven't helped me because my only options are to make Lazlo their father or son, or to have no relation at all ('Cannot edit pre-existing sims'). I've also tried the ID relationshipbit thingie and it didn't work.

I could leave it as it is and pretend I never realised but I just know it's going to bug me, so can anyone help please? 

Message 1 of 16 (71,152 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Guide

@Psychotps I managed to sort it out but I assume you didn't see the message. Thanks for your help anyway.Standard smile

I had to delete Lazlo and his family because he was the one causing the problem and then I added the family back into the save and got the siblings in one household. As 3 were already related, when adding a brother/sister relation to Lazlo for one sibling, the rest automatically changed to brother/sister.

View in thread

Message 9 of 16 (70,916 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Expert

Problem is, there are several factors that help or block it.

First is Age. In order to make them siblings, they should all be the same age. IE: All Young Adult, or all Teen, or all Adult.

Second, you can't edit their relationships in CAS if they already HAVE a relationship. That's why you're getting "Cannot edit pre-existing sims".  You'll need to completely delete their existing relationship before you can assign a new one.

If you're getting only the option for Father/Son, then they are different ages.

So, do it like this...  Make sure they're all in the same household (if they're not already). Delete ANY existing relationships they have. MCCC is easiest for this. MCCC/Relationships/Delete Relationship.  This will remove all sibling tags also.

Then, take the household into CAS, make them all the same age, and you'll then be able to use CAS to make them siblings.  You can always use MCCC to cheat their relationship levels and ages back to what you want later.

ThePsycho

Accept as Solution button - If a post answers your question please let everyone know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 16 (71,136 Views)

★★ Guide

The 4 of them are all adults (not young adults) and I got the "father/son" option from making Lazlo older or younger. I'm hesitant to delete all of Lazlo's relationships but I'll make a backup save and give it a go. I just don't want to have to edit every sim's relationship again Frown . I just don't understand how the game hasn't gone "Okay so these 3 are all siblings and Lazlo has just been made to be one of their brothers so that means they're all siblings." I didn't think, for example, sim1 could be siblings with sim2 but then not be related at all to sim2's other siblings. I'm guessing the game is confused and it's a bug?

I'm going to give your suggestion a try at some point today then I'll let you know if it worked or not.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 16 (71,129 Views)

Hero
@SianAF148 Moving this over to Game Info as it's more about the game than a tech issue.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 16 (71,120 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@SianAF148Well, you don't have to delete ALL their relationships, just the ones you want to re-do. So, if you want to make Lazlo the sibling of Pascal, you need to delete the existing relationship between those two before you can assign the new one. The existing relationship is blocking it. Same with the others.

The relationships are on a one-to-one basis.  For example, if SIM A and SIM B are siblings, and you make SIM B the sibling of SIM C, that WON'T automatically make SIM A the sibling of SIM C.  You'll have to do that separately. Since you have four sims you want to be all full siblings, you'll have to delete the relationships between all four, pull them into cas together and re-assign them to be siblings.  It'll work.

It would be easiest to do them all at once. Pull everyone into the same household, delete all their relationships with each other, pull them all into CAS and re-assign everything at once. Parents and all. This will update the Family Tree properly also.

Message 5 of 16 (71,041 Views)

★★ Guide

@Psychotps so I sort of did that, sort of didn't. I tried deleting the relationships using MCCC however it wiped every single sim from the person's relationships and said it removed the family relations but I looked on their simology or whatever it's called and the family connections were still there. Still tried to edit the relationships in CAS but I still had the same problem.

So instead I saved each individual sim then deleted all 4 of them from the save and then recreated them together. It solved the issue of them not all being siblings, except it created an even bigger problem. The children of each of those siblings could now only be household members not sons or daughters. So I backed out of that without saving. I tried the ID relationshipbit cheat again and nothing, So unless there's anything else I can do to sort this out without purging the whole save and starting each family from scratch (there's like 30+ sims so I really don't want to do that), then I guess I'll just have to pretend I didn't see their dysfunctional family tree.

Is there anything else you could suggest?

Message 6 of 16 (70,995 Views)

★★ Guide

UPDATE: Since Lazlo was the problem I deleted his entire family from the save then put him into the save again and then got the 4 Curious siblings together in CAS and as soon as I set Jenny and Lazlo as siblings, Lazlo automatically became the brother of the other two.

Thank you @Psychotps for your help and suggestions though.

Message 7 of 16 (70,984 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@SianAF148

I'm not sure how all the relationships got deleted but if you want to just delete a single one between two sims, do it like this...

If you want to delete the relationship between SIM A and SIM B, make sure SIM A is active, click on SIM A and go into MC Command Center/Relationships/Delete Relationship.

You'll get a dialog showing pictures of all the sims that sim has any relationship with. Click ONLY on the one sim you want to delete the relationship with. They'll disappear from the dialog. Then click on the X in the upper-right.

I did it with one of mine. My sim has a daughter as well as a spouse. I deleted the relationship with her daughter, clicked on the sim and went into MC Command Center/Modify household in CAS. The child was no longer listed as Daughter. I made the child her daughter again and it worked fine. The child still showed both parents in simology and the parent didn't lose any other relationships.

Although I did have to "Greet" the child again and the child showed up as "Daughter".

Message 8 of 16 (70,981 Views)

★★ Guide

@Psychotps I managed to sort it out but I assume you didn't see the message. Thanks for your help anyway.Standard smile

I had to delete Lazlo and his family because he was the one causing the problem and then I added the family back into the save and got the siblings in one household. As 3 were already related, when adding a brother/sister relation to Lazlo for one sibling, the rest automatically changed to brother/sister.

Message 9 of 16 (70,917 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi!

I have the same problem. But what is MCCC?

// Jessica

Message 10 of 16 (65,105 Views)