Re: How To Organize CC on Mac

by DartTheHamster

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How To Organize CC on Mac

★★★ Novice

Hello! I have a lot of custom contents, and few mods for my game. I want to organize everything, but I'm not sure how. I honestly don't even know where to begin... Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Message 1 of 5 (2,456 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Expert

@DartTheHamster If they are .package files then you could keep them in separate sub-folders within a "Clothes" folder if you choose. Here is an example of sub-folders created within a Mods folder where all CC clothing .package files have been organized in a sub-folder called "Other CC" and then further organized according to the CC creators' names:

This is what the 1st level looks like:

mods folder example1.JPG

Within the "Others CC" sub-folder this user has created 5 new sub-folders to separate their CC .package files by the CC creators' names:

This is what the 2nd level looks like:

mods folder example2.JPG

Each of these new sub-folders are 2 levels deep inside the user's Mods folder, which is totally fine for .package files:

The game counts the levels like this: "Other CC" folder = 1 level deep, "Luumia" = 2 levels deep, etc. If we could open the "Luumia" folder from this example then we would see .package files within it.

The game will go up to 5 levels deep when looking for .package files. I choose to organize mine a little differently but I wanted to use these examples from the tutorial I linked just to make things easier (all credit goes to the author of that tutorial!). It's a very good tutorial I highly recommend reading through it. I choose to organize mine by outfit type (i.e. tops, bottoms, outfits, shoes) while the user from these examples chose to organize them by CC creator. Both are fine, it's just a difference in personal preference.

Just remember that any mod containing .ts4script files needs to be no more than one level deep in your Mods folder or the game will not see it.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (2,328 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@DartTheHamster Here is a link to a good article on some of the basics of mod and CC organization within your Mods folder. The use of sub-folders is optional but they can make things a lot easier for updating mods after a game patch or troubleshooting a broken CC file.

https://simscommunity.info/2018/08/08/the-sims-4-how-to-ensure-a-healthy-game/2/

The two basic rules are:

- Mods containing .ts4script files must be placed no more than 1 sub-folder deep in your Mods folder.

- For other mods and CC with .package files you can go up to 5 sub-folders deep (by default)

Many mod creators will provide specific instructions on how to place their mods in your Mods folder so I would recommend following those whenever they are provided. Beyond that, how you organize things is mostly up to your personal preference. For mods containing .ts4script files (like MCCC) I keep them in their own separate folders & not mixed in with anything else. They need to be updated frequently (often after each game patch) & keeping them in their own folder makes it easier for me to keep them updated properly. For smaller mods that contain only a single .package file I generally keep them all in one folder (I label it MyMods); they're all in one place and not mixed in with CC so it's still fairly easy to keep track of them for updating. I use a lot of bug-fix mods from Little Ms Sam so I keep a separate folder just for her stuff-- again it makes it easier for updating on patch days. For my CC I have it organized like this:

Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Mods > CC

> Hairstyles and Hats

> Clothes

> Tops

> Bottoms

> Outfits

> Shoes

> Accessories

> Objects

This is just my personal preference. As you can see I only go 3 sub-folders deep for my CC (i.e. Mods > CC > Clothes > Tops). There are lots of ways to do it as long as you follow the rules for .ts4script and .package files.

Good luck I hope this helps. Please do ask if you have other questions :D

I'm just a regular Sims player, I do not work for EA.

Message 2 of 5 (2,425 Views)

★★★ Novice

That's very helpful, thank you! If I have a folder names Clothes for instance, do I need to take everything out of the folders in the Clothes folder? (If that makes any sense).

Message 3 of 5 (2,360 Views)

★★★ Expert

@DartTheHamster If they are .package files then you could keep them in separate sub-folders within a "Clothes" folder if you choose. Here is an example of sub-folders created within a Mods folder where all CC clothing .package files have been organized in a sub-folder called "Other CC" and then further organized according to the CC creators' names:

This is what the 1st level looks like:

mods folder example1.JPG

Within the "Others CC" sub-folder this user has created 5 new sub-folders to separate their CC .package files by the CC creators' names:

This is what the 2nd level looks like:

mods folder example2.JPG

Each of these new sub-folders are 2 levels deep inside the user's Mods folder, which is totally fine for .package files:

The game counts the levels like this: "Other CC" folder = 1 level deep, "Luumia" = 2 levels deep, etc. If we could open the "Luumia" folder from this example then we would see .package files within it.

The game will go up to 5 levels deep when looking for .package files. I choose to organize mine a little differently but I wanted to use these examples from the tutorial I linked just to make things easier (all credit goes to the author of that tutorial!). It's a very good tutorial I highly recommend reading through it. I choose to organize mine by outfit type (i.e. tops, bottoms, outfits, shoes) while the user from these examples chose to organize them by CC creator. Both are fine, it's just a difference in personal preference.

Just remember that any mod containing .ts4script files needs to be no more than one level deep in your Mods folder or the game will not see it.

Message 4 of 5 (2,329 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you sooo much!!

Message 5 of 5 (2,293 Views)