Re: How Can I break Up a Room?

by PenguinFoop

Original Post

How Can I break Up a Room?

★ Guide

Okay, first of all, I'm hoping this is the right forum for this because it's not really a "bug" or technical problem.

What I need to do is remove a section of fence so the game doesn't think the area is a "room" anymore.  The reason is because for Seasons to work properly, all "rooms" must have ceilings but a ceiling absolutely will not work for this area of the  house.  So if I can remove a section of fence, it should not register that area as a "room" anymore, right?

Unfortunately, when I click on the area, I have the option to remove the wall but it still keeps the area as a "room." 

Message 1 of 5 (467 Views)

Champion

@PenguinFoop Can you please add a screenshot of the area, or better yet upload the lot to the gallery and I can make you a video of roofing options. Also, is there a reason you are trying to remove the section of fence to have it considered 'not a room' now? Even some outdoor porches can be not sealed and sheltered and if click ed on the side would be a 'room' technically. I have saved rooms like this to the gallery for hard use, for instance. But they are not going to keep the sim warm as they are not sealed. They will provide shelter for certain purposes, though. 

If you add your lot to the gallery please name it something like 'roof test' and tell me the name and if you have a different name in the gallery or the same as here.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 5 (436 Views)

★ Guide

@SheriGR wrote:

@PenguinFoop Can you please add a screenshot of the area, or better yet upload the lot to the gallery and I can make you a video of roofing options.

I am on Xbox One so don't know how to share screenshots on here from there.

@SheriGR wrote:

@PenguinFoop  Also, is there a reason you are trying to remove the section of fence to have it considered 'not a room' now? Even some outdoor porches can be not sealed and sheltered and if clicked on the side would be a 'room' technically. I have saved rooms like this to the gallery for hard use, for instance. But they are not going to keep the sim warm as they are not sealed. They will provide shelter for certain purposes, though. 

I accidentally made it into a room before I remembered that the thermostat with Seasons does not work properly if even the outdoor balconies do not have a ceiling.  But I'm hoping that if the area is not technically a room, it will not affect the thermostat.

The Modern II has an upstairs open balcony and that one does not work well with Seasons because of the open balcony.  If you know a way to get that one to work with Seasons, that would be awesome!

@SheriGR wrote:

@PenguinFoop 

If you add your lot to the gallery please name it something like 'roof test' and tell me the name and if you have a different name in the gallery or the same as here.

I can upload it but I deleted the room and remade it.  That was a last resort though and I would still like to know how to do this in the future.  If you know a way to make an outdoor balcony that does not require a ceiling and still works with the thermostat, I'd desperately love to see it!!!

The name of the lot is called "The Modern III," it's the third and final in a series. 

P.S. Don't laugh at the awesome pool.  lol  It's 4:00 AM here and my creativity has hit lunacy level.  I'm calling this an eco-pool.  You'll see why...

Message 3 of 5 (423 Views)

★ Guide

Hmm, for some reason, when I went into live mode to play the house, there were two random sections of wall on the second floor balcony.  Not sure if I'd accidentally dropped them there or if it glitched them there.

Message 4 of 5 (413 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@PenguinFoop I'm making certain assumptions in this post that may or may not be true in regards to your current concern. Please correct me if I'm off target. I'm assuming you're having concern about the effect of seasons in regards to pool use, considering your previous post. Please clarify if this is not the case, and what effect of seasons is an issue for you. Thank you.

As to your question about making the deck not a room by deleting a section of the wall, or even a whole wall, drawing the same wall separately then physically moving that wall into place to replace the removed one, which I have done before to create a space to not have it technically be considered a room, is not working for me on the left section of your deck. I'm not completely sure why, though I'm not sure why you want to do this. This was is in the part of the decking that I copied in the video below and made into a 'flat roof' (of flooring):

As to the roofing of the deck area of your build, I made a video about how I would roof such an area. I did test the lot after changing to this type of roofing for the area on that same day and weather and got the same results.
Video of roofing: https://youtu.be/yE9G2xSnOyc

I did find that the area to the right - the 'roof' over the bedroom, etc. (see video) was not actually a room. I have re-traced the area in a video to make it a room: https://youtu.be/cfHo3vsOMcM

Also, whether the deck is considered a 'room' or not is not the issue in regards to the pool and weather (you had mentioned this issue previously). A deck can be considered a room and saved as a room. 

I have tested and re-tested in a lot of mine with an indoor pool and I tested in your current lot (see screenshots below) and got the same results as in the Bug Report I will link to below. If the weather is cold all options are available on the pools, but if the weather turns to 'freezing', only 'freestyle' swimming is possible in the pools, and a sim needs Fitness 4 to swim the freestyle stroke. If they have less fitness than level 4 they will have all options greyed out. Please see in these screenshots on a day with 'freezing' weather predicted the options are all there on the pool while the weather still registers as 'cold', but when it changes to 'freezing' later in that day' the only option is 'freestyle'. Please see the areas circled in red on the screenshots.

This is during a day with freezing weather in the predictions, but the temp is still just 'cold' at this time of day:
cold.jpg

This is later in that same day when the weather switched from 'cold' to 'freezing':
freezing.jpg

Please reference further details on the 'freezing weather' effect on pools in this post: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-S-Indoor-pool-has-greyed-out-options-in-freezing-weather/... 

Note: I did not have the thermostat on during my tests. I did have weather effects on sims activated. I have all packs and am on Mac. No Mods or CC ever.

Is your game updated to the most current version?

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 5 of 5 (361 Views)