Help with buying a new gaming pc to play all The Sims 4 and Packs

by Simsfan8989

Original Post

Help with buying a new gaming pc to play all The Sims 4 and Packs

★★★★★ Novice

Hello, 

if anybody has the time could you please help me Standard smile

I want to buy a new gaming PC to play the Sims 4 and all the packs and add ons.

I want the game to run smooth, fast, best settings and never lag etc.

Would this PC do all of the above?

Its called 'Alienware Aurora R9'

I welcome any help or advice Standard smile 

Message 1 of 50 (939 Views)

Re: Help with buying a new gaming pc to play all The Sims 4 and Packs

@Simsfan8989  Yes, an Alienware Aurora R9 would run all Sims 4 content, plus any custom content you could find, on ultra settings.  Looking at the various configurations though, the computer is overkill, possibly massive overkill, for Sims 4.  Do you have other games you want to play on this system, now or in the future?  If not, then the extra power is probably a waste of money.

If you'd like to see other options, just list your budget and country, as well as other considerations that matter to you.  Please also let me know what resolution your monitor has, or what resolution you'd like if you're planning to buy a new monitor.  If you don't know, that's fine; it's just that higher resolutions require a bit more graphics card power than lower ones.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 50 (924 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thank you for replying and the feedback. Standard smile 

If you have time (sorry to be cheeky) could you please look at which Alienware Aurora R9 would be best to get. When I looked on the website they say all different prices. All I will play is the Sims 4 and all adds on and future add ons. 

My budget is around £1,000. I work hard and thought I would treat myself. Standard smile

screen mouse and keyboard would all them come with the pc?

All I care about is playing it and not worrying about it being laggy or slow after all the packs.

again thanks again means alot for any of the help Standard smile @puzzlezaddict 

im a good builer in the sims but when it comes to pc tech stuff im useless haha x

Message 3 of 50 (911 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
  • 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i3 9100
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit
  • 8GB HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2666MHz
  • NVIDIA® GeForce GTX® 1650 4GB GDDR5

• 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i3 9100 (4-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 4.2GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

8GB HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2666MHz

256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Message 4 of 50 (906 Views)

@Simsfan8989  So, looking at the configuration you listed, which is also the entry-level configuration on the Dell site, that computer would be fine for Sims 4, but somewhat overpriced.  Are you sure you want an Alienware specifically?  You could probably get a significantly better desktop for £900, or get the same for a cheaper price.  I'd be happy to look at other options, if you want.

This computer comes with a mouse and keyboard, as almost any new computer would.  Monitors are sold separately.  The Alienware monitors are wildly overpriced and definitely not worth the price.

Message 5 of 50 (883 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict thanks for taking the time to have a look Standard smile

would you suggest that the specs that are on the £899 priced machine would be ok then?

I have had Alienware before and trust it and as I am not the most clever on knowing much about computers its easier. Standard smile

sorry to ask is it possible fo answer these questions - 

will my old dell screen work with the new machine? - its a flat screen, does the sims 4 play better on a better Monitor? 

will the specs for the £899 price work with all the packs and future packs too?  

thanks so much for the help means alot Standard smile 

Message 6 of 50 (870 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

On currys website 

• Intel® Core™ i5-9400 Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB
  • 209 FPS when playing Fortnite at 1080p

Is there much difference?
Message 7 of 50 (857 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Simsfan8989  If you're going to get an Alienware, start with this configuration instead:

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/gaming-and-games/alienware-aurora/spd/alienware-aurora-r8-desktop/d0...

It's almost the same hardware for £729, and you can get a couple more upgrades while still staying under budget.  This is what I'd suggest, in order of most to least important:

• A 512 GB SSD (+£70), or
  • A combination 256 GB SSD/1 TB HDD (£50) if you need a lot of storage
  • An i5-9400 processor (+£80)
  • An Nvidia 1660 (+£60) only if you plan on playing other more demanding games at some point
  • Not the extra memory.  You could get a matching RAM stick for maybe £40 and install it yourself, rather than paying Dell £100 to do it for you.  Installing memory is just about the easiest thing there is to do with a computer: you open the case, push the module into the slot, and you're done.

Your old monitor should work fine, as long as it's not extremely old.  You can check which connector it uses, and any other ports it has, just to make sure, but if it uses DisplayPort or HDMI, it will plug into any new graphics card.  If you're not sure what the monitor uses, you can find pictures of various kinds of connectors and compare them to what you see.

Sims 4 runs the same internally on old and new monitors; the only detail that matters is the resolution at which the graphics card is displaying the game.  A higher resolution means more work.  If your old monitor is 1920x1080 or below, an Nvidia 1650 will be able to run the entire game on ultra graphics settings with plenty of room to spare.  The only difference is how the game looks on the monitor, so if you don't feel like you need a new one, there's no point in buying one.

Edit:  The one on Curry's website is significantly better.

Message 8 of 50 (844 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thank you I will look into the link you have sent :!

quick last question... sorry

would you go with the curries specs over the one on dells website?

Message 9 of 50 (825 Views)

@Simsfan8989  That depends on the exact specs of the Currys model.  If you link me the page, I can take a look.

More questions are always fine.  That's what this site is for, after all.

Message 10 of 50 (821 Views)