Help from someone who knows computers

by kaitlinxo143

Original Post

Help from someone who knows computers

★★ Novice

Hey there! I hope someone can help me out here. I recently purchased a MacBook Pro (13-in) as I'm getting back into school but the first thing I noticed is how weak the Sims 4 graphics are compared to my boyfriends computer I had been using (MSI gaming laptop). Now I know it won't be the same as a gaming laptop but I was definitely expecting better than it is. I love everything else about the Mac so far but playing Sims is a huge factor. So I began exploring the option of returning the Mac for a Surface Laptop 3 (15-in) and have tried researching on if the Radeon Vega 9 is better than the Intel Iris Plus but I was not able to find anything other than numbers and stats that I do not understand. If it is a substantial difference then I may go ahead and swap them out, but not if it's going to be nearly the same. Having a small, slim laptop is very crucial which is why I didn't just buy a gaming laptop. If someone could give me some insight I'd so appreciate it!

If there is somewhere else I should be asking this question please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 2 (224 Views)

Re: Help from someone who knows computers

@kaitlinxo143  I don't know which Iris Plus graphics chip your Mac has, but it doesn't really matter all that much: those chips and the Vega 9 are in the same performance category.  You probably would see an improvement in gaming, since Sims 4 does run better in Windows than in macOS.  But the improvement wouldn't he substantial, and it probably wouldn't be worth switching over considering you like the Mac for other reasons.

What country are you in, and how much would you be willing to spend?  A few different companies make lightweight portable laptops with entry-level dedicated graphics cards, although they're somewhat more expensive than gaming laptops with the same hardware.  If you'd like, I can make a few suggestions, so you can see what else is out there.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (175 Views)