Re: Help, I can't stop picking up rugs!

by Kattoinette

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Help, I can't stop picking up rugs!

★★★ Newbie

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but since installing Discover University I've been picking up rugs that end up in my Sim's inventory. Anyone else having this issue, or just me?

Message 1 of 7 (8,236 Views)

Accepted Solution

Champion (Retired)

@draustin90   New feature added with Discover University.
There are certain items that can be picked and/or moved around in Live mode. 
Included is the new mini fridge, microwave and various other items.
The feature was added to allow players to rearrange dorm rooms without using build mode.

- EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA
All packs installed and patches are current.
PC / Win 10
Never used CC or mods.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (8,202 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

@draustin90   New feature added with Discover University.
There are certain items that can be picked and/or moved around in Live mode. 
Included is the new mini fridge, microwave and various other items.
The feature was added to allow players to rearrange dorm rooms without using build mode.

- EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA
All packs installed and patches are current.
PC / Win 10
Never used CC or mods.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 2 of 7 (8,203 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@draustin90 I sure wish there was a way to turn this off (perhaps by household)! Trying to move around my house I'm constantly moving rugs out of place, which then resets my Sims when they're standing on it.
Message 3 of 7 (8,026 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I hate it so much 

Message 4 of 7 (6,088 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

I never use the mats from DU.
I move around in game by pointing on the ground dragging the mouse; and whenever I have pointed on the mats I then drag the mat. If there is a sim standing on it they always reset. I am not sure, but I do not think this is good practice.

I am inclined to think this a bug, in the sense that is creates issues for the player. If anyone make a bug report for this I will click Me Too. In that case, link the bug report here, and ask for this thread to be merged with it to count all Me Toos', since the amount could contribute to the bug report being taken into account by the bug fixing team. Only the development personell can say what is a bug or not; not players. This info should be stated from official EA source/account.

I would want the developers to clarify why they made this choice, beyond the natural explanation; and if it has any ramifications. If they cannot clarify I want the feature reworked.

Message 5 of 7 (5,498 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@DonroaAkashu I completely agree with you!

I remember during the early years of the Sims 4 that all carpets used to be live-draggable. They eventually changed that flawed system so carpets couldn't be picked up and moved by accident anymore. A most welcome change as I had stopped using rugs in any of my residential lots back then because of this. Needless to say that I was utterly disappointed when they brought back that disruptive functionality with Discover University. Oh, and on a side note, it's not only rugs from DU that are live-draggable; there are also some carpets from the base game which are back to being annoying. For example, two of my favorite rugs, the Show your Stripes and On the Spot are both live-draggable, but ironically, the It's a Tarp! from Outdoor Retreat isn't...

This is yet another clue to me that the people who are currently working on the Sims don't actually play the game, otherwise they would know better than to forget a lesson they had already learned.

Programming-wise, a super-simple solution would be for them to change all those rugs to function like the Celestial Crystal Crown from Get Famous. That item can be placed in a sim's inventory when clicked, but it cannot be live-dragged. All functionality for university housing would be retained, while at the same time any accidental click-and-drags eliminated. Yes, I'm a dreamer, I know...

Anyways, as for now, I can offer a workaround for this issue:

Note down which rugs you are using that are annoyingly draggable on a lot. Then, go to play with another household. Buy all the rugs you need and place them in a sim's personal inventory. After that, travel with that sim to the lot where you need those items. Once there, simply drop those rugs on the lot, save and exit to World View. When you go back to play the initial household now, it's not possible anymore to move those carpets in Live Mode (since they technically belong to another household). They can still be adjusted and recolored in Build/Buy, but all the headache of accidentally moving and resetting your sims will be a thing of the past.

I hope this helps, and have fun moving those rugs!

Message 6 of 7 (5,423 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@DMDragonCT  That was clever, I will try that.

Message 7 of 7 (5,401 Views)