Height

by Ashleyc1144

Original Post

Height

★★★ Newbie

Can changing a Sim’s height please be a thing?

Message 1 of 23 (1,994 Views)

Re: Height

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Ashleyc1144 I'm assuming from the wording of your question that you're aware there's currently no ability to adjust height. Height is presently being used to distinguish between the ages (teens are shorter than adults).

Though I understand that it would make it more complicated to spot teens compared with a 'petite' adult, I also think it would be fun to be able to have at least a couple of height variations for adults. Perhaps if they made it possible to make an adult shorter (like the height of a teen) we could at least have that much of a variant for adults, and it would still stay within the height/clearance restraints for interacting with objects that are currently in place.

I assume this would cause the need to adjust clothing (perhaps making it able to 'stretch' in height like the clothing currently adjusts to weight gain and pregnancy). Anyway, I do think players would have fun with this option, so I'll give you a 'me too' and 'XP' on this one. Good luck! 🤞🏻

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 23 (1,975 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Hey @Ashleyc1144 may be you are aware of the fact that there is a height sliders modification. I can not share any links here but you can google it.
So as long as this possibility is not provided by EA you might try this mod.
Good luck.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 3 of 23 (1,952 Views)

★★★ Expert

Hi @SheriGR  As @Trismagistos mentioned, there are mods that already add height sliders and the various clothing items seem to adjust just fine. The biggest problem is the animations for some of the social interactions like hugging and kissing seem off. I know that not everyone wants mods in their games anyway so I am going to Me Too this as well. I would love to see this added and maybe not even a true slider but a few presets like short and extra short to average to tall and extra tall. This might make it easier to adjust the animations for those social interactions than if they went with a true slider.

Message 4 of 23 (1,908 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@RandomBuzziness That's about it. Thousands of animations in the game would have to be expanded exponentially. There would have to be thousands of new animations at least. Even only 10 differences in height would mean 100 new animations for a single animation like kissing. Some might be kept single like getting a book from a bookshelf, but ones that regard two sims, it's talking about 10^2 for each one.

If they do that, I hope people have BIG hard drives.
Message 5 of 23 (1,880 Views)

Champion

@Psychotps I think you make a good point about the need to adjust so many things for a new height animation. I'm not familiar with game code, but I'm guessing the fact that since animations are in place for the 'teen' height that adding a 2nd adult height that's the same as the teen height would take far less adjustment to have things interact properly?

Message 6 of 23 (1,862 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@SheriGR

The way I see it is like this...

Imagine there is a "height" slider in CAS. You click on it to drag it up. It goes up a notch. How many notches are there total? 5? 10? Let's say there are only TWO. Two different heights for your sim.

Let's say Sim1 and Sim2 are both at height "1" (of 2) The animation would not need one sim to "bend" over to align the kiss properly.

(Edit: Oh, now that's interesting. Would two sims at height "1" use the same animation as two sims at height "2"???)

If Sim1 is at height 1 and Sim2 is at height 2, the animation would need to be adjusted so a height 1 sim can properly tilt their head back to properly align with a height 2 sim. And vice-versa the height 2 sim tilts their head down to meet the height 1 sim.

That would require 4 animations.1->1, 1->2, 2->1, 2->2

With 10 different "notches" on the slider, you'd need 100 animations for each different height to match properly. You might be able to get away with fobbing it down a little and say like heights 1-3 use one animation, 4-6 use a second one... but you're still talking a LOT more animations.

I didn't even think about teens. Are teens the same height? If not, If you want teens/young adults to be included, then double the number of animations. Adults too? Holy cow... I'll need a calculator to figure that one out. I think it'd be something like (10^2)^3 animations?

I suppose it depends on if Teens/Young Adults/Adults are the exact same height as far as animation alignment is concerned. If they are the same height, then it would only be 10^2 animations total per. It would also depend on how different the actual height is per "notch". If it's not very much, then you may only need 1 new animation per 2-3 "notches". That would bring it down to something like 5^2 or 4^2. But given the number of total animations in the game, even 3 additional animations per animation (2^2) may end up being hundreds of thousands of new animations...

PS... I hope I didn't get too "technical"... I tried to simplify...

Message 7 of 23 (1,849 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Psychotps No, what I mean is teens are slightly shorter than adults, if I remember correctly, so there should already be interactions in place for that one additional height that they could attach to the one additional adult height. No worries about 'technical'. I do code, but mine is web design, not game code. Wink

Message 8 of 23 (1,838 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@SheriGRI think a better way of doing it may be to use actual sim "heights" and not "Teen heights 1-10", "YA heights 1-10", etc.

Say teens are heights 5-15, YA are 7-17, etc. That way you can use one set of animations for everyone and only have to align say "5" to "8" or "12" to "9". It would cut down the number of animations two or three-fold. Of course that would mean teens would end up using the same animation as YA and A... which is not currently the case for some animations.

I don't think it's the fact that they're different heights, but they have different animations in some cases. The "Kiss" animation I used in my example is different for Teens vs YA/A. For those animations that are the same, then we're back to (10^2)^3 animations (minus 1 or 2 for your example of existing differences in heights... which doesn't account for much with all the new ones)

It'd depend on the animations. The "kiss" animation isn't meant for Teens/YA. They are different. (Try using MCCC to remove the T/YA restrictions in romance and have them kiss, you'll see what I mean) Some are different, some are the same.

Of course, different animations would end up the same way. A teen/teen kiss would be 10^2 animations, YA/YA = 10^2, which would end up being (10^2)^2 only spread over two different animations.

Lol... FYI I did web design but it was YEARS ago... the furthest I got was PHP. Current stuff is way beyond me and can get almost as complex as code.

PPS... of course, I'm only an Analyst.  I "see" things, how problems work. It might all be completely different in whatever code they use. I just don't see how atm.

Message 9 of 23 (1,835 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

It will not so much depend on bigger hard drives @Psychotps. It will probably ask a lot of computing power i.e. processor speed and Random Acces Memory. When you want to have the infinite numbers your calculated you will need something like a super or a quantum computer. But it is not purely the difference in height. When you look at the animation programs which you can use to make your own cc there is the possibility to install extra bones and rigs, thus you will be able to bend a neck a little bit extra. This results in not creating that much extra animation interactions. The Sims in CAS will look more lifelike as well, when there is the possibility of height sliders. I suggest that they could start with for instance 2 different body lengths for each cohort.
When they would also start sliding the legs or arms your initial calculations will be definitely more correct.

By the way, in a number of occasions i noticed that kids of let say 5-12 years seem to stretch more than would be "humanly' possible in their hugging interactions with older, grown-up sims. I never heard any one on any forum complain about these 'glitches'

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 10 of 23 (1,745 Views)