Re: Height

by Psychotps

Original Post

Highlighted

★★★★ Expert
@Trismagistos I highly doubt it would take more CPU power. It's not like it will be running MORE animations at the same time, or even more complex ones, more bones, points, etc. It will just be a larger selection (a MUCH larger selection) of animations to choose from.

Instead of playing a single animation, it will have to choose from a library of 100 animation variants of that one animation depending on sim heights and play the one single animation it selected. It's not going to play all 100 at the same time. And the library of 99 additional animations will take disk space. (Granted, I have no idea how MUCH disk space a single animation takes... I imagine it will be quite a lot since there are likely thousands of existing animations, all multiplied by 100...)

The reason the kids stretch (This will undoubtedly get technical) is that the animations depend on the vertex points to be in a certain position so it can run the animation. If the animation is for a young adult, and for some reason it gets mistakenly used on a toddler, the toddler will appear to "stretch" to accommodate the incorrect animation.

Toddlers should always have their own library of animations. Somehow an animation for a larger sim was mistakenly used on a smaller sim it wasn't designed for.
Message 11 of 23 (738 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Sorry @Psychotps, but i totally disagree with you. I just checked your statement and made a screenshot of the task manager and checked my Sims 4 folder twice. My Sims 4 folder contains round about 10 GB. almost 1.5 GB is custom music and over 2.2 GB of the space is taken up by al sorts of mods and scripting etc. That boils down to 6.3 GB for all the Sims 4 expansion packs etc.

I have a self/homemade gaming PC (Windows 10 pro) with an i9 processor and 32 Gig RAM, I use one of the newest Nvidia graphic cards: GeForce RTX 2080 Super. The rest of the specs are not needed in this discussion but i am willing to give them if you want them.

When i start up the Sims 4 it initially takes up 10% of the processor and almost half of the RAM. Agreed i also run a couple of other programs simultaneously which will make up for the rest of the usage.

Just check the screenshot i attached. I also attached a second screenshot to show you how much everything uses when the game is in full swing.

In the past, for Sims 3, i made some mods myself including a couple of animations. Okay i think they sucked that is why i stopped making them. I leave that task to the more nerdy brains. Nowadays i just enjoy playing Sims 4.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 12 of 23 (715 Views)

@Trismagistos 

@Trismagistos wrote:

Sorry @Psychotps, but i totally disagree with you. I just checked your statement and made a screenshot of the task manager and checked my Sims 4 folder twice. My Sims 4 folder contains round about 10 GB. almost 1.5 GB is custom music and over 2.2 GB of the space is taken up by al sorts of mods and scripting etc. That boils down to 6.3 GB for all the Sims 4 expansion packs etc.

What do you mean in the sentence I've put in bold? Please could you clarify?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 13 of 23 (698 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@BluebellfloraQuit simple. That amount is all the saves etc. in The Sims 4 that is stored in the Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 folder itself.
The amount of space that is in the Origin folder is round about 44 GB. Together that ads up to max 50 GB. Psychotps was talking about the huge hard disk it would require to ad extra animations for the height of the Sims 4.

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 14 of 23 (685 Views)

@Trismagistos

I'm still not understanding. How much space do you anticipate a save file to increase by if a user adds a new pack to their game? Or a new feature like new heights was patched in? You also said "saves etc." What other files/folders are you referring to?

I have no idea if adding new heights, and the animation changes this would entail, would significantly add to either hard drive space for the game (I doubt it), significantly increased CPU needs (also doubt it), or increased RAM required by the game (also doubt it). I should imagine it all comes down to the amount of work and hours required by the studio to patch in height changes.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 15 of 23 (676 Views)

Champion
Did you read the whole thread @Bluebellflora ?

I wrote that in the folder Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 i have stored 2.2 GB of mods and 1.5 GB of custom music. The rest is taken up by saves, caches etc. Please check your own folder and tell me how much space your The Sims 4 file uses.

You state :
"I have no idea if adding new heights, and the animation changes this would entail, would significantly add to either hard drive space for the game (I doubt it), significantly increased CPU needs (also doubt it), or increased RAM required by the game (also doubt it)."

@Psychotps stated earlier that he assumes it would and i dare to challenge that. It seem you do as well. Please see your own writing, I just quoted.

I only tried to argue that it is not the amount of diskspace that is required but that it would be more likely use up more RAM and CPU and showed how much the game already uses.

I agree with you when you state:
I should imagine it all comes down to the amount of work and hours required by the studio to patch in height changes.
And that is because i have been working on my own animations and modifications for The Sims 3.

Let op:

Message 16 of 23 (666 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Trismagistos 

Yes but you're still not answering my question and frankly, it seems like you are muddling up game data and user data disk space. You are stating in your previous comment regarding the Sims 4 folder - "That boils down to 6.3 GB for all the Sims 4 expansion packs etc." - that packs take up space in the user folder, which they do not. Packs are installed into the Sims 4 application/program and can clearly be seen when you look in the game files. I realise this is OT with respect to the OP's initial request for additional heights, but feel it should be explained further because a lot of people read these forums and erroneous information, or information that is not clearly explained, does not help anyone.

We don't need to agree with each other, this is the General Discussion & Feedback forum, open for conversation and opinion.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 17 of 23 (641 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Bluebellflora
In my opinion the discussion still has to do with the amount of harddisk space that would be needed if height sliders would be part of the game itself.

I think you are trying to steer away from that part of the discussion.

Besides the round about 44 GB that the Base Game and all the Expansion Packs use on my Harddisk (I also downloaded the Legacy Edition, which is about 6.5 GB).
These files are stored in the Origin Games folder which can be found on the disk where the player wants them to be. (I store my games on a separate harddisk)

Perhaps it is my fault to think that most of the participants in this debat would know how much it would take. And of course this is a variable because not everybody has all the Expansion Packs.

I will answer your question about my user folder. In my folder I have 2.2 GB of Mods (including the variable Height Slider which hardly takes up diskspace) 1.5 GB of custom music, and most of the rest is saves (5.2 GB that is because i use al lot of different types of gameplay) Than 1.1 GB of Screenshots, small video's etc (The rest is neglectable) So this ads up to 8.4 GB. Together with the folder in which the Game itself is stored i get to round about 52.GB for all Sims 4 stuff

So, please tell me if you think that is a lot of harddisk space? Nowadays you can buy a harddisk of 4 TB. Hopefully you will grant me an answer as i answered your question.

And perhaps you will also be able to tell me why you think the whole Sims 4 game will not demand more computing power when the mentioned height sliders will be added to the base game? 

I hope you can clearly see how much all the pack including mods already ask of my PC, which is not a standard run-of-the mill.

In my view, adding any height sliders to the base game will not demand a lot more diskspace. 

Let op:

Message 18 of 23 (606 Views)

@Trismagistos 

Right, but you specifically said:

"My Sims 4 folder contains round about 10 GB. almost 1.5 GB is custom music and over 2.2 GB of the space is taken up by al sorts of mods and scripting etc. That boils down to 6.3 GB for all the Sims 4 expansion packs etc."

What is the relevance to packs in that statement? How do they make the Sims 4 folder larger?  Sure they make the installed game bigger, that goes without saying. But you have just broken down that 6.3 GB and confirmed that your Saves folder takes up the bulk of it (5.2 GB) because of your gameplay style. That's not the packs adding more to the folder, it's you.

I'm not steering away from the height adjustment discussion, but I am asking for clarification on the above statement because it is relevant to hard disk space and apparent confusion as to what the user's Sims 4 folder contains.

Exactly how much more CPU and RAM do you think a machine will need to deal with different height sims wandering around? Or the ability to change height in CAS with a slider? Have you run performance tests with CC height sliders vs none?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 19 of 23 (584 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Trismagistos Lol. While your computer is impressive, it has no bearing on the discussion. All I meant was, whatever the game is taking up now for processing power, adding a TON of new animations as requested, won't take up much more processing power unless the new animations are more complex. It would only take up more disk space. (Which as you mentioned in quite a lot of detail, is substantial).

Edit: Now that I think about it, I do have a number of mods that add new animations. They contain over 3,000 new animations and the packages only take up a little over 400 megs, so maybe it won't add that much disk space.
Message 20 of 23 (544 Views)