Happy 18 years of The Sims!

by EA_Mai

Original Post

Re: Anniversary T-Shirt

Champion

@unseenlarks, yes, I love variety so having multiple outfits sure keeps it interesting!  What is your pink-loving fashionista Sim's name? Wondering

It's funny how we play differently, especially since we seem to have a lot in common.  I have tons of households in my game!  While I sometimes play  Sims that I've downloaded from the Gallery, I always play all the EA/Maxis pre-made families.  But the vast majority of my Sims are made by myself!  I love making new Sims!  Heart  Also, mostly I make families!  Or if I make a single Sim or a Sim couple, I usually eventually have them have children.  Angel

No, children always wear their #1 outfit in the Daytime category to school. Devil Teens will use any outfit in the Daytime category for school.Standard smile  The only time children will change Daytime outfits is after they take a shower or maybe on the weekends if they go somewhere.Disappointed  And you can't make a child shower or change into new clothes before school because they will just change them back to the Daytime #1 outfit as they walk out the door.  Teeth bared

I now have 2 ideas for different households for the Jungle Adventure pack! Large smile  Those livestreams have inspired me! Party hat But knowing me, I will probably make an expieramental Sim family (complete with a toddler or two) with this pack first.  Then I will work on my 2 ideas! Wink  Since you can't get this pack until/if you get a new computer, I will post pictures for you!  I hope others will do the same! Party hat

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 21 of 33 (731 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@PugLove888,

i really like giving this Sim trendy outfits to wear. since she's the one who "buys" the most clothes, i subtract household funds whenever she changes into something new. i'm not sure she likes *that*.
her name is Tina, and she is part of a household of 6 friends (i like to pretend they're bandmates).

we do have a lot in common! i have more households in the game which i've created myself, too. and i'm still (slowly) adding supporting characters from a story i've been working on for... ages!
i don't play them often, though... only if i want them to get to a certain skill/career level, *or* to direct them to meet a specific character. i already know what their lives are going to be like... so... Wink

that's too bad about children not changing clothes... it *would* be nice, especially if you picked a really, really cute outfit they could be showing off at school! XD

i've seen that kids get a few clothing items with this pack! *and* there's an Andean-inspired woollen cap, which is going to look so nice. i used to have one of those (not as colourful, though) myself. so that's one CAS item from this pack that i would like to have. Standard smile

i've also noticed there were a *lot* of swatches for everything. it reminded me of something else i used to own, a slouchy woollen backpack with different patterns and colours.

and thank you! i i'm really looking forward to seeing your pictures! <3

Message 22 of 33 (719 Views)

Re: Happy 18 years of The Sims!

★★ Pro

A little late but; Hi all! Blew me away actually.. 18?! Wow, have played since it started also! Love the game still.. and play more than my daughter these days as she's way too busy! Standard smile 

Happy Birthday Sims!!!

Sasha

Message 23 of 33 (705 Views)

Champion

@Sashas0nic, its so good to hear from you again!  Angel I've seen you post, but it wasn't a post I was participating in , or I didn't have anything to contribute. Embarrassed  I'm happy we have crossed paths again! Standard smile

Yes, its hard to belive that its been 18 years of "Simming"! ShockedHeartParty hat  For me its been about 16 or 17 years ... I started with the console version for PS2! Large smile  I loved it so much, but that version didn't have dogs and cats, so I just had to get the PC version of TS1.  I was just going to get the base game and Unleashed, but then of course I got all the Expansions! :eahigh_file:  There was no turning back! Heart

How cool is it that both you and your daughter both play! Party hat  She can probably benefit from your years of experience!  

@unseenlarksI never thought of having a Sim "buy" clothing by subtracting household funds for them.  That is a great story idea! Cool  I bet you hope we can one day have our Sims play in an actual band like we could before! (I don't remember if it was TS2 or TS3 or both Embarrassed )

Oh, I see now what you mean ... you do play multiple households, but you've been really concentrating on Tina's household lately, so it is as if you are only playing one household! Wink

Yeah, I really wish children would use different outfits for school the way Teens do!  I try to put their cutest outfit as the #1 outfit so they can wear it to school, but it still seems odd that they wear the same thing every day unless it is on weekends.  Devil

I have always loved the Andean knitted hats! Heart (I knit and crochet, so I should probably find an easy pattern, but I always get sidetracked with other projects!)  The base game has similar hats, but not nearly as cute as the ones that come with Jungle Adventure! Heart  I finally saw them in the Developer's talk livestream from Friday!  I want their hats now! :eahigh_file: And I bet the backpack you used to have that you mentioned was beautiful! Wink

Well, its just one day away for Jungle Adventure to come out! (I'm glad the Olympics are over so I can concentrate it!) Angel

Message 24 of 33 (665 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@PugLove888,

i use the money cheat in reverse because they're not supposed to have much of it. their only way to get by is licensing songs (*but* only Tina and another housemate can do it) and playing for tips. i pretend it's them playing gigs. =) so i'd really, really love it if we could have bands!

so yes, it *is* basically like playing one household. (i also have a save, which is actually closer to my original story--they all live behind the inn they work at. so in this household it's them, the inn manager, *and* the bartender. it's a bit of a mess. i wish i could set two front doors. i don't play it very often, either.)

i think clothing changes need work. when they go jogging, for example, they change from their night clothes into their everyday clothes into their sports clothes. a bit time-consuming! and then they change into their everyday outfits again. that's not right... especially when they get smelly. XD

that is so cool, you definitely have to knit a hat! :D it'll be even more special, because you'll be able to choose your favourite colours for it. they're beautiful and warm hats.

and the backpack i owned was lovely. it was (if i recall correctly) made from a knitted fabric called "aguayo" or "awayo", which is typically made and used by Andean indigenous peoples. <3 i don't know what it means, but i think it's a Quechua word. as a whole/loose piece of fabric, it can be folded in different ways and used to carry babies, as a bag, or as a shawl.

my bag looked very similar to (if not the same as) this one:

aguayo.png

anyway, i hope you enjoy the GP and create fun storylines. and take screenshots! lots of them. Standard smile

(also, mods, i don't want to look like i'm going off-topic, because that happened recently and it was embarrassing. i'm only mentioning this fabric because the livestream showed items that reminded me a little of it. btw, i liked that they added llamas to the hat's pattern.)

Message 25 of 33 (650 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@unseenlarks, are you playing a challenge, or is this just a way to play your game that you came up with yourself?!? Thinking  I've run into a lot of people who play the Sims who wish we had bands in the game like we did with other versions. 

You mention playing your game as an "inn" that they manage.  Well just today someone else here suggested an idea they had for an EP where we get to manage an inn or hotel! Raised eyebrow Party hat  I thought this was a fun idea! Heart  

I love the picture of the bag that you showed us!  Those colors are gorgeousHeart I love bright colors on a black background!  I will have to look up and learn more about that fabric! Cool  As for me making a hat in the Quechan/Peruvian style, I would have to make a more plain one! I'm not that talented. this would probably work better in knitting, but I am a better at crochet.  (Hmmm... maybe I can use this as an excuse to take up weaving! Large smile:eahigh_file: ) 

When we had the vote on the Eco stuff/Laundry pack, I really wanted all 4 categories, but since we could only vote on one, I chose Food Preservation!  I want my Sims to make preserves, candles, spin wool, knit/crochet, weave, keep bees for honey, etc.!  I basically want my Sims to be "Little Sims on the Prairie"! Party hat 

I will take pictures of the Jungle Adventure pack for you and try to answer any questions.  But due to real life I wont be able to play it right when it is released (in a few hours). Clock It is so difficult to be patient when it comes to the Sims! Embarrassed

Message 26 of 33 (627 Views)

Champion

@EA_Mai@Sashas0nic@jpkarlsen@unseenlarks , and everybody else, The other day when I was viewing the Developer's Talk livestream for the Jungle Adventure GP, I found this livestream made by several Sim Gurus celebrating the 18th Anniversary of The Sims!  One Sim Guru had never played it before and another who had was guiding her.  It doesn't really start until 10 or 15 min. into the livestream, but if you let it play before that you can hear two of the iconic songs to the original Sims game!  One is the main theme, and the other might have been Buy Mode. The livestream is over 2 hours, so I've only watched about 40 min. of it so far!  Such memories! HeartHeartHeartParty hatParty hatParty hat

Here is the link:  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/227325020

I really miss the "tickle" interaction!  The Sims' reactions to this are so funny! Large smile:eahigh_file:

Enjoy! Party hat

Message 27 of 33 (625 Views)

★★ Expert
@PugLove888,

it's not a challenge, it's my trying (not too successfully, i must admit) to play out scenes from a story i've had in my head for years. the main characters are in a band, and they live in a house together in a town where some of their friends live in or move to.
over time, they make new friends, get married/engaged, and many other things... which make this story sound more like a novel... or a tv series. but that's, just like Jack Jones said, "the impossible dream". Wink

the main save has the inn manager living on her own, but the other save (the one i don't play often because it lags too much) has the whole band living behind the inn--i saved the rooms of their house from the first save and placed everything behind the main building, after i asked on the TS4 forums if something like that could be achieved.
so i have two houses on the same lot! everyone does whatever they want, and goes/cooks/etc. wherever they want, of course. XD

i would love an EP related to hotel/inn management. i'd double my efforts to save money for a new computer. electronics are *very* expensive here, i'm referring to things that aren't even top-notch. so because i was unable to save enough when i needed it, i made the mistake of buying this "knock-off brand" computer and i have to say... i regret it every single day. :'(

IMO, the hats don't even have to be *that* colourful. i suppose they often were so that people would stand out against the mountains.
but i've noticed that they have become more popular as winter accessories, so you can find them in any fashionable colour combos and patterns! i'm sure you could get the finished fabric, but "regular" knitting or crochet *would* look great, too! <3

i would especially love it if Sims were able to make candles. and "Little Sims on the Prairie" is a great story idea... imagine a "let's play" video series based on the original show! wow, does that bring up memories... i used to watch it *every day*.

i can imagine, i wouldn't be too patient either if i ever had to wait for a new pack. i'd set a timer/countdown for sure. <3

thanks for the link! so much fun.
Message 28 of 33 (598 Views)

★★★★ Guide

What so special about eighteen years?  Maybe twenty years, that's something to boast.  But will it continue until 20?

Eighteen years of the sims!!  Woo!!!..and look in 2018 load screens, no cap, no caw, no open heighbourhoods!! This sims 4 is nothing to hype. 

Now sims 3, that's the winner!

Message 29 of 33 (585 Views)

★★ Expert
why not? IMO, every birthday is special. Standard smile
Message 30 of 33 (565 Views)