Re: Gendered doors Sims 4 not working

by SheriGR

Original Post

Gendered doors Sims 4 not working

★★★★★ Novice

Do the gendered bathroom doors not work? I keep having sims going into the wrong rooms because of it.

Message 1 of 7 (5,349 Views)

Champion

@jonBGHS 

Can you please check this bug report to see if this is your issue?: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Routing-Fails-while-trying-to-leave-enter-room-Agave-Abod...

If not...

Following are some initial things to begin troubleshooting. If these do not help, we can advance to other possibilities.

Do you have Mods or CC (or have you ever had them)? If you do please remove them in this process and try the troubleshooting as described below. (If you don't have Mods or CC, just skip the part about removing the Mods folder, but still delete the cache files mentioned and run the repair.) If you ever had Mods or CC in the past then do the steps as if you have them currently (removing the Mods folder), as there could be damage that has remained after you removed them.

• Exit your game then exit Origin. Please drag the Mods folder from your 'The Sims 4' folder onto your desktop (for future reference) then delete the localthumbcache.package file in your 'The Sims 4' folder. (When you restart the game it will automatically create a new Mods folder.)
  • Next please run a game repair [ Open Origin, click 'Game Library' then right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game ]. Make sure to let it run until it has completed all repairs (it will do the base-game first, then run through each of your expansions/packs). After that, please see if the issue has stopped.

If it was Mods/CC: If this fixes the issue I would recommend that you check with the Mod and CC creators to see if there are any known issues with their Mod/CC clashing with the recent update and if so do they have an updated Mod/CC that will address the changes in the game's code from the update. You can then re-add your updated Mods/CC one at a time to see if one was conflicting with the function/causing the glitch - but do not re-add the old Resource.cfg file from the old mods folder, as it’s possible for it to have become corrupted.

If you have a lot of Mods or CC you can do so by via the 50/50 method. Let me know if you need directions on this.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 7 (5,301 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I put them facing the wrong way, so they went in but couldn't go out.

Message 3 of 7 (5,292 Views)

Champion

@Sid1701d9 Interesting. I've frequently 'switched' the door handle/direction and have never noticed any issues or that it made any difference. Either way the sim needs a clearance of one tile on each side for a single door and two on each side for a double door. Plus they need to then be able to proceed forward or to the left or right.

Message 4 of 7 (5,254 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@jonBGHS I just did an experiments on a residential lot. I put a Spa men's only door and a Spa women's only door on one large bathroom.

• If I reversed the direction of the women's door the man would still go through the men's door and the woman through the woman's door.
  • Oddly, the inward direction of the door's image didn't seem to stop the man from exiting through the women's door BUT... I noticed that the door he exited through seemed to vary as to which door was closer to where I clicked and told him to go. I tried this with the woman and found the same thing. So, with both doors on the bathroom, entering the bathroom they would always choose the door that matched their sex and exit the door most convenient to where they were going. BUT... 

Interestingly when I divided the bathroom with a wall (with one of the doors on each new small bathroom):

• If I turned the both doors so the woman or man image faced outward the male would only enter the men's bathroom and the woman would only enter the woman's bathroom.

And... (Ahhh... @Sid1701d9 Now I think I see what you mean. I misunderstood that you were speaking specifically about the direction of the door with a gender image on it...)

In that divided bathroom, when I turned the direction of the door so the man and woman images were inward/reversed/backwards (on the side of the door inside the bathroom)

• the man would go in and out of the men's door bathroom
  • the woman would go in and out the women's door bathroom, BUT...
  • the woman would go in the bathroom with the inward/reversed/backwards facing men's door and could not leave the room, and...
  • the man would go in the bathroom with the inward/reversed/backwards facing women's door and could not leave the room

So... I'm not sure if any of the above is the case in how your bathroom/doors are set up, but form all I can tell the men's only and women's only doors should work correctly only if you make sure that the gender-specific image is facing the outside (entrance side) of the door. Be careful to make sure that the image is not facing the inward/reversed/backwards direction (on the side of the door inside the bathroom).

Something that I do think is noteworthy and I think I would recommend a bug report for is that I did find the default placement of the opposite gender doors is doing a glitchy thing sometimes for me. If this is the case for others it may be a bug. I found that frequently if I place both doors, I will find the door for one gender places automatically correctly (with the gender image outward) while the other door will place automatically incorrectly (backward - with the gender image inward) which then would lead to the messed-up behavior I mentioned above.

A workaround for this would be to always check that your doors have placed correctly, and if they placed incorrectly (with the gender image inward) you can select the door and press the < or > buttons to reverse the direction.Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 2.23.48 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 2.28.54 AM.jpg

Message 5 of 7 (5,228 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I repaired my game and took out mods and the doors started working like they are supposed to. Although the doors don't have clearance of 1 tile on either side but they still worked like they were supposed to without mods. With mods any sim could walk inside. I have to 50/50 now to see which mod is causing them to do that.05-25-20_6-47-25 PM.png

Message 6 of 7 (5,170 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@jonBGHS  As long as the door has the one tile (or 2 or 3, etc depending on size) in front of it on doth sides of the wall, it should work. (Unless it requires more width tiles - you can tell when placing.) Beyond that, as long as the Sim can go either right or left, or go forward, they will normally route it fine. Just play test to be sure.

Glad you got them working right! 

Message 7 of 7 (5,133 Views)